[HOW TO] Connect the GS3 to the PS3 as a media server.

Search This thread

barberboy420

Aug 15, 2011
Sounds like you might have removed sharecast or another media app by Samsung, that's the only reason that would happen.

NRA Approved GS3

I just flashed another ROM (GO SAC23 GO) And I haven't deleted anything so ill try after work

GS3 Running Sac23'sV5 GO SPURS GO

Ok so ya I cant check the box at all still on a freshly flashed ROM haven't deleted anything *bummed out*

Last edited:

barberboy420

Aug 15, 2011
Im going to tslk to the dev of that Rom and see what he thinks

GS3 Running Sac23'sV5 GO SPURS GO

Orical

May 22, 2011
Boston
Flashed another rom everything seems peachy except one thing You have to be connected to wifi? I'm tethering I cant do that. Is there any other way to connect to the ps3 other than wifi?

Yes that's how it manages media server otherwise you are USB which doesn't work the same way. The best results are through your set up, Ethernet for the ps3 and WiFi for the device otherwise it will lag depending on signal strength and interference of other devices using the network.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium

Reactions: barberboy420

barberboy420

Aug 15, 2011
Yes that's how it manages media server otherwise you are USB which doesn't work the same way. The best results are through your set up, Ethernet for the ps3 and WiFi for the device otherwise it will lag depending on signal strength and interference of other devices using the network.

Im out of there then no open networks where im at

Gs3 ChemistryX v6

Orical

May 22, 2011
Boston
Im out of there then no open networks where im at

Gs3 ChemistryX v6

Damn sorry man, I usually have an answer for most things but not having a network to be on is more of a money issue than anything but if your looking for a cheap way out without losing your shirt a friend of mine has one of those 4G dongles you plug into your computer via USB, he uses it for his PS3 to be on line but you need to have unlimited to use it really. The PS3 wasn't designed to send large amounts of data but instead uses what's called "Packet Data" unless your actually on video chat the amount of data is really small even on the larger games as each user only sends and receives data in small packets the disk or drive based games handle the response info as it happens.

The XBox works the same way but the data incorporates direct link options (subnet) for game chat where the audio and low res video is shared if applied. I haven't looked into XBox though as I'm more of a Sony guy when it comes to those things but where there is a will there's a way, you might wanna look into changing the firmware on an old router or configuring it to use a network that is too far for cell wifi but not so far that another router can connect to it so you would be using it as a bridge. Something to think about.

Reactions: barberboy420

barberboy420

Aug 15, 2011
Damn sorry man, I usually have an answer for most things but not having a network to be on is more of a money issue than anything but if your looking for a cheap way out without losing your shirt a friend of mine has one of those 4G dongles you plug into your computer via USB, he uses it for his PS3 to be on line but you need to have unlimited to use it really. The PS3 wasn't designed to send large amounts of data but instead uses what's called "Packet Data" unless your actually on video chat the amount of data is really small even on the larger games as each user only sends and receives data in small packets the disk or drive based games handle the response info as it happens.

The XBox works the same way but the data incorporates direct link options (subnet) for game chat where the audio and low res video is shared if applied. I haven't looked into XBox though as I'm more of a Sony guy when it comes to those things but where there is a will there's a way, you might wanna look into changing the firmware on an old router or configuring it to use a network that is too far for cell wifi but not so far that another router can connect to it so you would be using it as a bridge. Something to think about.

Its all good my friend, I was thinking this a.m. that I can tether my other phone and then connect using WiFi from my s3

Gs3 ChemistryX v6

Orical

May 22, 2011
Boston
Nice ... im running full hd 1920x1080 mp4 with no issue ...

Sent from my SGH-T889 using XDA Premium HD app

Good to hear, its not like it can't everyone should be able to get this to work. I recently bought the Samsung 3D smart bluray player and it syncs to your account to run apps and streams movies etc. but I was able to stream to both the player and PS3 at the same time while being able to control them independently. You can also stream from the PS3 to the player so its a good addition if anyone is looking for an alternative source.

If enough people get it I'll do a complete walk through of all the connections between the three devices and registered account links like managing calander syncs and controlling the player through the GS3.

Kobrax

Oct 15, 2012
Redditch
I have set up my ps3 with s3

My Problem is the really bad lag makes anything unwatchable. Also Certain videos that I have downloaded don't have sound while the sound works on the s3

Can Anyone help pinpoint the problem?

Orical

May 22, 2011
Boston
I have set up my ps3 with s3

My Problem is the really bad lag makes anything unwatchable. Also Certain videos that I have downloaded don't have sound while the sound works on the s3

Can Anyone help pinpoint the problem?

What is your set up at home how is everything connected.

Seny from the one and only GS3.

Kobrax

Oct 15, 2012
Redditch
I have my ps3 connected to wifi using a wireless connection as the position of it is too far to connect via ethernet cable

I turned on file sharing through the settings on my s3 and paired the s3 with the ps3

Then searched media servers on the ps3 and it found the s3

Both Using wifi
I can see all the videos on my s3 through the ps3 but they all lag horrendously

And A couple that I downloaded via ttorrent play less laggy but with no sound at all

Orical

May 22, 2011
Boston
I have my ps3 connected to wifi using a wireless connection as the position of it is too far to connect via ethernet cable

I turned on file sharing through the settings on my s3 and paired the s3 with the ps3

Then searched media servers on the ps3 and it found the s3

Both Using wifi
I can see all the videos on my s3 through the ps3 but they all lag horrendously

And A couple that I downloaded via ttorrent play less laggy but with no sound at all

There's your problem, everything over WiFi. The PS3 only has a 512 card so it has a hard time transmitting the amount of information but over Ethernet it doesn't have those issues. What I did was pick up a spool of cat5 and ran it out the window and secured it and I never have lag.

Seny from the one and only GS3.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a tutorial to connect direct streaming from the SGS3 to the PS3.

Note: I used Xillisoft to change the video format to MP4 standard (works better) Transfer to the phone (Do not convert, copy as is.)

First go to settings and set it up like this:

** For first time media server set up, PS3 Settings **
    IN Settings/Network Settings
    go through using
    1. Settings method: custom
    2. Connection method: wired connection
    3. Operation mode: auto detect
    4. IP address: automatic
    5. DHCP: do not set
    6. DNS: automatic
    7. MTU: automatic
    8. Proxy server: do not use
    9. "UPNP: enable"
    Then press X to save settings.

EDIT: WIFI must be enabled, The network relies on this.

Path on device: (Settings/More Settings/ Nearby Devices)

------BEFORE YOU CHECK (File Sharing)-------

1.Shared Contents:/ check all

2.Device Name: (mine is SGH-T999/Orical)

3.Access Control: (Only Allowed Devices)

4.Allowed Device List: UPnP/1.0 (This is the GS3) and Windows-Media-Player ( if your connected to your computer as well)

5.Not Allowed Device List: (none)

6.Download to: (USB storage)

7.Upload to other devices: (Always Ask) *Important*

---Now to the PS3---

Go into settings and enable media server (Also See Below) then sync the device to the PS3 by checking Nearby Devices.

Depending on the amount of media you have on the Phone this can take a minute or two before it finishes.

Once it's connected you'll see the "SGH-T999/Your Name Here" within the columns labled Video, Pictures, Music.

If your looking for a video under the pictures column on the PS3 it's not going to display it and will tell you their not
    there so make sure your under the correct column on the PS3 for what ever your going to stream.

Not sure if this is going to matter to some but my set up is ethernet between the router and the PS3 (Not wireless), the
    connection works better and transfers information quicker if your directly connected. I have all of the parental set to off.

***Here's a few other settings you want to check if you have any problems.***

Settings/Video settings: (I'm just going to give you the settings for this so just work your way down the list)
    Mine is obviously English so set it appropriately....

1.English
    2.English
    3.English
    4.Allow
    5.English
    6.English
    7.English
    8.Automatic
    9.Letterbox
    10.Fullscreen
    11.Automatic
    12.Automatic
    13.ON
    14.Linear PCM
    15."Multible Choice"Linear PCM
    16.English
    17.English
    18.OFF

Settings/Music Settings:

Audio CD Import: MP3 320 kbps
    Crossfade Playback: 2 seconds
    Output frequencies: 48kHz
    Bitmapping: Type 3
    Dynamic Normalizer: ON

PS. I'm not a big thanks hog but I know some people are having a hard time getting this to work, if this helps please hit the button so I know it actually helped someone out there.

If you need more help post in the thread and I'll do the best I can to respond as quick as possible, before anyone asks I dont have a 360 so I can't physically test it but I'm working on a PS Vita method soon. Thanks for reading.
    I tried this out, and it's not working for me at all. Anything you might have left out?

EDIT: I believe that I found out why I can't get this to work. My network connection says "uPnP NOT ENABLED" After reading online a little, I guess that my ISP has my router locked down (it's their company provided one). So people, check this setting when you run "TEST CONNECTION" on your PS3. if it's not enabled, you will have to do it manually (if you can log into your router).
    Works great Thx.. I also use usb mass storage mode. so much faster. Just plug right in n go no waiting, my sd card has a lot of media lol. ;)

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    How did you get the usb mass storage mode working...? I tried on the PS3 and Vizio TV. On PS3 it just said "Unknown USB Device connected" One of the reasons I LOVE my HD2... real USB drive mode.. =D

Also thanks OP.. I forgot I had dlna mode on the S3 heh.. That would be one solution indeed.

I had to use a app.. it only supports ext sd tho.. but works perfect.
    http://db.tt/Lwe8d48Y
    e9y3yqat.jpg

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    I'm having the same issues I can't check the box I don't know if having sprint has anything to do with it but, I've tried the suggestions here but I can't get passed not being able to click the box wth????

Sounds like you might have removed sharecast or another media app by Samsung, that's the only reason that would happen.

NRA Approved GS3