[WARNING] Do not partition SD card using ClockworkMod | FIXED in 3.0.2.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

jkoljo

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 18, 2009
Tampere
As the title says, do not partition SD card using ClockworkMod or ROM Manager.

There has been multiple bricked devices already, all after partitioning SD in CWM. The device suddenly turns off while the partitioning is in progress, and never turns on again. We do not know what causes this issue yet, but I am sure that ClockworkMod team will look into it.

Update:
Looking into this. I don't have a DHD but I have an idea why this is happening.
Update 2:
I have a fix ready now. I will need to release a new recovery and new ROM Manager to address this.
Update 3:

New ClockworkMod 3.0.2.6 and ROM Manager 4.1.0.0 are out! There has been multiple confirmations of the problem being fixed, but also ONE brick. So take the fix with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

therealnoob

Jan 11, 2011
Shanghai
Wow... Never used partitions on SDcard , but thanks for the warning.

I'm curious how the device bricked while partitioning SDCARD, though, as I don't see the connection!

HOLY SHT!!!!!!!
I partitioned my sdcard thru Clockword recovery 3 months ago back then with 2.5.0.7 htc desire
it hung for 1 hour so i pulled the battery but it was paritioned rite phewwwwww..

Cant imagine if i had a bricked phone now,would prolly pee on my pants....

tahiriqbal

Darn it. I was thinking about partitioning my SDCard today but postponed it. Thanks for the information.

Are there any other known issues that the CWM might cause to the device? Last year, when I had HTC Dream, I remember reading in forums at Cyanogen that some people didn't recommend using ROM Manager. I don't know what issues it used to cause because I used Amon_Ra back then.

Anyways, thanks for the information. I won't partition the SDCard using CWM.

M_T_M

Troll King & Retired Señor Mod - I Regret Nothing!
Apr 14, 2009
Texas
Ok............

This thread has been stickied by me in order to inform everybody about this situation.
Do report if you have gone through this problem only...no more thanks or OT chatter, please.
I'm in contact with the Mod team to investigate even further if this does affect any other devices as well.
Please be patient and do not pollute this thread ;)

Cheers,

M_T_M

@jkoljo...thanks for your help on this very important matter.

dekram

Sep 8, 2006
Bricked DHD

Hi There,

Had this a few days ago.

the device is indeed completely bricked, no matter what you do.
Luckily for me my HTC DHD was only 10 days old, so i went to the store and after inspection theyt gave me a new one. I must be very lucky i guess.

Thanks for the warning nevertheless.

Reactions: bradysoft

kilavuz

Jun 30, 2008
Vejle
hello. I have the same problem. it goes in the black this afternoon before I have read the forum. Is there any thing i can do to get the phone alive again. : ((

jkoljo

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 18, 2009
Tampere
We do not exactly know at this point. At least 3.0.2.5 has the problem.

There is nothing you can do to fix a brick. That is why it is called a brick.

Reactions: kilavuz

oluwaponmile

Dec 19, 2007
hello. I have the same problem. it goes in the black this afternoon before I have read the forum. Is there any thing i can do to get the phone alive again. : ((

I believe you can still return it for manufacturer warranty. HTC phones has at least one year manufacturer. Just say to them you turn on your phone and it couldn't turn on....simplesssss

Reactions: kilavuz

forelli

Jan 26, 2009
Kashyyyk, Galactic Empire
HTC Leo
Other solution

Hi guys,
I've also read somewhere, last november I think, that partitioning could be problematic. So I looked up on the internet and can recommand you what I use to partition my SDHC cards: Paragon partition manager 11 free , I used it on Win XP 32 bits without any problem with my 16gb and with my 3 other 8gb SDHC.

link: here

f.

This thread has been stickied by me in order to inform everybody about this situation.
Do report if you have gone through this problem only...no more thanks or OT chatter, please.
I'm in contact with the Mod team to investigate even further if this does affect any other devices as well.

Cheers,

M_T_M

2-die-4

Mar 3, 2010
best would be to partition SD's via PC and to disable the partitioningfunction for the next update. I'd be bad if someone uses it again.

KeyperOS

Feb 24, 2011
Athens
OnePlus 7T Pro
I heard this from a customer so take this with a grain of salt but he told me he was an Android Developer and had heard of an interesting "trick" concerning all HTC Android phones.
These phones apparently have a SECONDARY bootloader that is completely hidden and disabled by default and that all those phones are HARDCODED to immediately enter into it the moment they get connected to a specific USB cable.

The guy was looking for the cheapest possible, well, item really, to buy and then proceed to cannibalize as a test to its' validity (he bought an old Motorola handsfree) so it seems he wasn't sure of it either.
Apparently what needs to be done is that the PLUG needs to be completely stripped and either two resistors or two capacitors (I forget which) of specific values need to be soldered to two specific lungs of the plug.

I am sorry I am being this vague but that was all the information I got from him in the matter of the couple of minutes it took him to buy the handsfree.
Perhaps there's sth to be looked into by some people better equipped than I?

EDIT: On second thought, it makes more sense if what he said was to solder A resistor/capacitor to TWO specific lugs of the plug, perhaps?
I kinda remember him saying that the plug itself doesn't even really need to lead to anywhere but it's more like the means to connecting the resistor/capacitor to those two lugs...
He also said that that's how HTC themselves un-brick bricked phones. He didn't appear to be talking just for Dev phones either.
I am sorry I really do not know any details.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As the title says, do not partition SD card using ClockworkMod or ROM Manager.

There has been multiple bricked devices already, all after partitioning SD in CWM. The device suddenly turns off while the partitioning is in progress, and never turns on again. We do not know what causes this issue yet, but I am sure that ClockworkMod team will look into it.

Update:
    Looking into this. I don't have a DHD but I have an idea why this is happening.
    Update 2:
    I have a fix ready now. I will need to release a new recovery and new ROM Manager to address this.
    Update 3:

New ClockworkMod 3.0.2.6 and ROM Manager 4.1.0.0 are out! There has been multiple confirmations of the problem being fixed, but also ONE brick. So take the fix with a grain of salt.
    Ok............

Cheers,

M_T_M

Wow, reviving old & obsolete threads is not cool. Please apply a little more common sense before posting.

Thread Closed.
    I will edit the topic to [FIXED] when someone confirms SD partitioning to be working. I believe that it is quite hard to find a person who is willing to test that..

edit: ok, confirmed!