[Tutorial] Notification Dropdown Text Color Changes/Status Bar Changes (Sense 3.0)

Search This thread

nolimitzr2

Nov 8, 2010
CT
Okay please forgive the Noobish question, I come from the old school droid 1 themeing days (mostly png edits and recoloring).
Im very interested in doing some sense 3.0 themes for my bolt especially the pulldowns in his tut.
My questions here. I am using apk manager 5.0.2
I put framework-res and systemUI into the appropriate folder and decompile I get two decomped foldrs I tried doing one edit to the transparency to get the feel for it but no dice I get a few errors on recompiling and unable to get a working systemui.apk should i be signing them?
I open the xmls in notepad and do my edit and save them (not as a text file it still shows a a xml when i do save as and choose all files then save)

Anyway you could give a brief rundown of the apps needed? and anything that needs to be done to have a succesful apk? Help is appreciated from any and all
Thanks

dsb9938

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 17, 2010
Edison, NJ
If you know how to completely remove the date that pops up when you pull down that would be amazing. I made the statusbar semi-transparent, but it screws it up when you pull down and he date pops in.

D

Gunthermic

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 19, 2011
If you know how to completely remove the date that pops up when you pull down that would be amazing. I made the statusbar semi-transparent, but it screws it up when you pull down and he date pops in.

D

SystemUI\res\layout\status_bar.xml

Remove the Line that says

<com.android.systemui.statusbar.DateView android:textAppearance="@android:style/TextAppearance.StatusBar.Icon"

That will remove the date completely from the Status Bar

Devildog8791

Sep 15, 2009
Lonoke, AR
Okay please forgive the Noobish question, I come from the old school droid 1 themeing days (mostly png edits and recoloring).
Im very interested in doing some sense 3.0 themes for my bolt especially the pulldowns in his tut.
I put framework-res and systemUI into the appropriate folder and decompile I get two decomped foldrs I tried doing one edit to the transparency to get the feel for it but no dice I get a few errors on recompiling and unable to get a working systemui.apk should i be signing them?
I open the xmls in notepad and do my edit and save them (not as a text file it still shows a a xml when i do save as and choose all files then save)

Anyway you could give a brief rundown of the apps needed? and anything that needs to be done to have a succesful apk? Help is appreciated from any and all
Thanks

You don't need to sign them, but you need to update the apktool/framework files (1.apk and 2.apk) with the rom you are working with. Drag the framework-res.apk and com.htc.resources.apk files from the rom you are wanting to edit into there. Rename the framework-res.apk to 1.apk and rename the com.htc.resources.apk to 2.apk. Hope this helps.

---------- Post added at 05:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:59 AM ----------

To be honest, I found a theme that already had it done and compared the xml files.

Edit: I am having one problem though. It seems that some third party apps like Pandors and Handcent are still black text. Do you know where I need to go to fix this or is this something that you are battling too?

This is the problem that I am having. I figured out the Handcent, but not the Pandora or HTC Music when it's playing.

screenshot_9.png

Gunthermic

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 19, 2011

Thanks

Never a noob'ish question. We all had to start somewhere.

I dont personally use Apk Manger. I wanted more options at my fingertips so I use:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1053227

Awesome product and can do alot of the stuff you have to do as a themer.

Anyways to you question. (Windows)

1. You must load the Framework-res.apk and com.htc.resources.apk, as well as the SystemUI.apk into the system so APKtool knows what files to use for decompiling. it's not hard at all to do.

2. Extract framework-res.apk, com.htc.resources AND apk files you want to decompile from the ROM and copy them to the root directory of APKTool(If doing another brand of phone the system files names may be different)

From command prompt type:

apktool if framework-res.apk
apktool if com.htc.resources.apk
apktool if SystemUI.apk

This in effect loads these files into your system and now the APKtool of your choice will know how to decompile apk files.

If the above is done right, you will see it saying it loaded them as 1.apk, 2.apk, and SystemUI.apk loads as some number like 300 or something.. As long as it loads them into the system you are on your way.

This is the type of thing your looking for:
I: Framework installed to: C:\Users\apktool\framework\1.apk

** If you use autoApktool use can use option to load your system files from within program **

Now that your done with that your ready to decompile. Depending on your tool you use, you can use the options to decompile, and then edit and then recompile.

If you want to decompile manually you would do this from command prompt(where your apk's and apktool files are at.)

apktool d SystemUI.apk (that command tells apktool to decompile SystemUI.apk)

You should see something like this:
I: Loading resource table…
I: Decoding resources…
I: Copying assets and libs…

3. Yes you can use Notpad++ for xml editing, I use Ultraedit, becuas eit allows me to search through xml's and such. Personel choice.

4. Signing apk's really depends on your ROM and the files you are trying to edit. I know this is not an answer, but in my ROM I dont need to sign my SystemUI, but say I edit Mail.apk, that needs to be signed. As a gerneral rule any apk's in system/app need to be signed, unless you find out otherwise. The apk's in system/framework do not need to be signed. (framework-res.apk, and com.htc.resources.apk)

I hope this helps get you started. Ask away..

Gunthermic

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 19, 2011
Devildog8791 said:
This is the problem that I am having. I figured out the Handcent, but not the Pandora or HTC Music when it's playing.

Yea some apps push very specific stuff to notification bar. If by makign the changes I show and it is still not color you want:

1. Look to the app itself.
2. Look to the colors.xml
3. Look to the styles.xml

nolimitzr2

Nov 8, 2010
CT
Kick ass gonna give this a shot, too bad its going on the work week. I'll try sneaking this in tonight before bed. Thanks

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

rayford85

May 22, 2011
nice tutorial. I wanted to ask, if I wanted to have diffrent background images , like two diffrent wallpapers, one for notification background and one for quick settings background. how do I edit systemui to accept this? Do I use your tutorial on animated background or what. I find the Images in system UI I want to change but nothing happens after the flash. do I have to edit xml to point to my images or what?

Gunthermic

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 19, 2011
nice tutorial. I wanted to ask, if I wanted to have diffrent background images , like two diffrent wallpapers, one for notification background and one for quick settings background. how do I edit systemui to accept this? Do I use your tutorial on animated background or what. I find the Images in system UI I want to change but nothing happens after the flash. do I have to edit xml to point to my images or what?

Need more info.. to give a great answer, but here is a less than perfect one. LOL

The Status bar Notification has several png's. The one for the Dropdown itself, the ones for the actual notifications themselves.

The Quicksettings use the same one as the notifications(if your on Sense 3.0)

Using the tutorial for the Background animation ends up adding a third to the Status bar. It ends up being behind the Notifications and the notifications layered on top of that, and then thirdly the actual dropdown(pulldown) on top thoses.

So if say you want to just change the ones used for Quicksettings, you would have to do xml edits to add the png, and you might need to add another layer to the linerlayout(not sure, not looking at it)

If you have edited the images in SystemUI, and reflashed they should change. However look at the tutorial as the transparency comes into play as well.

Please let me know if further questions...

rayford85

May 22, 2011
I'm gonna give it a go when i get home and see what happens ill let you know thanks for your help.

Here's a screen shot of what im trying to achive to change this avengers png that is set as background to what I like for quicksetting background and notification page background.
a6bd0416-fc3d-9b1c.jpg

Sent from my Inspire4G using XDA App

Last edited:

Gunthermic

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 19, 2011
I'm gonna give it a go when i get home and see what happens ill let you know thanks for your help.

Here's a screen shot of what im trying to achive to change this avengers png that is set as background to what I like for quicksetting background and notification page background.
a6bd0416-fc3d-9b1c.jpg

Sent from my Inspire4G using XDA App

Then add it as what my animation tutorial says, just dont add the stuff for animating. But you will have to fool with your dropdown transparency to suit to taste to be seen.

CleveRuse

Apr 14, 2011
Imperial, PA
Awesome work gun! (Ok, I'm actually just tagging the thread so I can find it easier, haha -sorry;D ....but still, that shouldn't detract from my first statement;))

rayford85

May 22, 2011
hey man ive been messing around with systemui.apk and found an easy way to add custom background images to notifications background and quicksettings background on sense 3.0.

all I did was in quick_settings.xml: android:background="@drawable/quicksettingsbg"
and in status_bar_tracking.xml: android:background="@drawable/shade_bg"
drop the two images sized and named accordingly in drawable hdpi,then recompile and there ya go, new backgrounds. this is loads easier than trying to use the animation method to add your images.

thanks to : mohit1234 for teaching me this.
i've changed images multiple times and it works everytime great easy way of modding phone

Last edited:
Reactions: Gunthermic

CleveRuse

Apr 14, 2011
Imperial, PA
hey man ive been messing around with systemui.apk and found an easy way to add custom background images to notifications background and quicksettings background on sense 3.0.

all I did was in quick_settings.xml: android:background="@drawable/quicksettingsbg"
and in status_bar_tracking.xml: android:background="@drawable/shade_bg"
drop the two images sized and named accordingly in drawable hdpi,then recompile and there ya go, new backgrounds. this is loads easier than trying to use the animation method to add your images.

can u POST a pic or two?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I hope this little tutorial from Average Joes will help the many questions about how to change the Notification Dropdown Text Color.

I have been on a mission for a couple of months to figure this beast out. Read many threads, PM'd many others. Alot of info is out there about how to change the text color for notification dropdown for Sense 2.0 and Sense 2.1. But Sense 3.0 made some changes to the structure of the XML's and how the Status Bar was using them. I will write out how I did it, and hopefully it will guide you along to what I think is an awesome change for a ROM or a Theme to make..

Requirements:

1. You must be able to decompile and compile your SystemUI.apk and Framework.apk

2. Understand how to edit XML's.

3. Know how to back up and flash all these changes. I would never suggest making all changes at once to SystemUI. If you make a mistake,your Status bar will fail to show up upon booting the phone..

This is what mine looks like:
    Main.png
    QuickSettingsMain.png

In the first part I will cover changing the text color for Quick Settings Tab..

If you find an error of discover a new way of doing it, please let me know so I can update this tutorial..

1. Quick Settings
    2. Status Bar
    3. Transparency Notification/Quick Settings
    4. Time Location on Notifications
    5. Changing Text Color of Notifications in Dropdown
    6. Animation in Notification Dropdown!!!!
    ** Special Thanx to - Stoney66,fernando sor,Bad Seed customs for creating this mod**
    7. Using Wallpaper as Background in other Windows
    ** Special Thanx to - Clever for showing me this mod**

Always, Always Backup!!!!
    Transparency Background for Notification Dropdown and Quick Settings

SystemUI\res\drawable-hdpi\values\drawables.xml

Look for:

1. Complete Transparency

<item type="drawable" name="list_item_background">#ffffffff</item>

a. Substitute: #ffffffff with #00000000
    b. This will give you complete transparency

2. Partial Transparency

<item type="drawable" name="list_item_background">#ffffffff</item>

a. Substitute: #ffffffff with #77000000
    b. This will give you less transparency

Results:

Transparent-Main.png
    Transparent-Quick.png
    Transparent-Main-A.png
    Status Bar Color - Date/Clock

SystemUI\res\drawable-hdpi\layout\status_bar.xml

Look for:

1. Clock

Look For:

<com.android.systemui.statusbar.Clock

a. Add: android:textColor="#ffXXXXXX" the “X’s” are in RRGGBB

Example:

<com.android.systemui.statusbar.Clock android:textAppearance="@android:style/TextAppearance.StatusBar.Icon" android:textColor="#ff3366CC"

2. Date

Look for:
    <com.android.systemui.statusbar.DateView

a. Add: android:textColor="#ffXXXXXX" the “X’s” are in RRGGBB

Example:

<com.android.systemui.statusbar.DateView android:textAppearance="@android:style/TextAppearance.StatusBar.Icon" android:textColor="#ff3366CC"

Date-Clock.png
    Colorized Text in Notification Dropdown

SystemUI\res\values\colors.xml

<color name="white">#ffffffff</color> (This changes what the text color is when pressed in notifications)
    <color name="black">#ff000000</color>
    <color name="half_white">#7fffffff</color>
    <color name="half_black">#7f000000</color>
    <color name="primary_text_color">#ffffffff</color> (This changes the Notification Text Header)
    <color name="secondary_text_color">#ff000000</color> (This changes the Notification text Content)

In each of the above lines marked with a comment, Substitute the >#ffXXXXXX with you RRGGBB values you want your text to be.

Screenshots coming in a few..

** I have this done in my mods for a while, however special thanx to Jon for finding out it only needed this file changed instead of several that I had done before. I knew it should take as many files to change the color. THANK YOU JON!!!

Time on Notifications Location

Framework-res\res\layout\status_bar_latest_event_content.xml

Look for:

<android.widget.DateTimeView

Cut and paste whole line into the second or third <Linearlayout... Right after the corasponding Textview

Placing the DateTimeview in the second <Linearlayout will place the time on the first line of the Notification.

Placing the DateTimeview in the third <Linearlayout will place the time on the second line of the Notification
    Quick Settings:

(Part 1) - Changing Text Color of Primary and Secondary Text

Primary Method:

SystemUI\res\drawable-hdpi\layout\status_bar_preference.xml

1. Header Name of Item

Look for:

<TextView android:textSize="@com.htc:dimen/list_primary_m" android:textColor="@color/list_item_primary_text"

a. Substitute "@color/list_item_primary_text" with “#ffrrggbb” (whatever rgb color you want)

2. Status of Header Item (like on/off i.e secondary text)

Look for:

<TextView android:textSize="@com.htc:dimen/list_secondary_m" android:textColor="@color/list_item_secondary_text"

a. Substitute "@color/list_item_secondary_text" with “#ffrrggbb” (whatever rgb color you want)

QuickSettings.png

Secondary Method: (Coming Soon)

Why the two?

The primary keeps any other text within the system from changing. The secondary method can affect any other ares of the the system that call upon this color in the xml. You decide what is best.

(Part 2) - Quick Settings Label

SystemUI\res\drawable-hdpi\layout\quick_settings.xml

Look for:

<TextView android:textAppearance="@style/TextAppearance.StatusBar.Title" android:gravity="center_vertical"

a. Add android:textColor="#ffrrggbb” (whatever rgb color you want)

Example:
    <TextView android:textAppearance="@style/TextAppearance.StatusBar.Title" android:textColor="#fffffd80” android:gravity="center_vertical"

Gets you a Yellow Label:

Quick-Settings-Label.png