TF300T Light Bleeding

Search This thread

Northern-Loop

Nov 30, 2009
2012-05-16%252021.45.37.jpg

2012-05-17%252008.25.03.jpg

Not massive bleeding but it was still there so I managed to get it swapped out today thankfully! I didn't want it getting worse. Seems this was a big problem on the Prime so why havent Asus fixed it for the Pad?

dsf3g

Mar 31, 2009
I've got a little from one edge, but not ebough to bother me. Does this get worse? I assumed it would stay as is.

TXKSSnapper

Jan 16, 2012
Can you even see that much light bleed during normal use? I feel like as long as I'm not looking at a black screen with nothing else close to the edge I would never notice this.

Northern-Loop

Nov 30, 2009
Can you even see that much light bleed during normal use? I feel like as long as I'm not looking at a black screen with nothing else close to the edge I would never notice this.

True but it was bugging me, I started to notice it on the Gallery (Black Screen) then on Boot Up.

Seems I spoke too soon as the sun is setting here and I just started to notice it again...rubbish. Is it a actually fault or just something I have to ignore and live with?

TXKSSnapper

Jan 16, 2012
Not sure how your new one looks, but mine has slightly less bleed than your pics show. I don't notice it at all except during the boot screen, so I'm living with mine. but to each his own, I guess you'll have to decide whether or not its acceptable.

EndlessDissent

Oct 18, 2010
Chicago
Judging by other people's reports, light bleed is normal with these tablets. The key is to find one with as little light bleed as possible. The first one I got had massive light bleed around all sides, especially in the lower right corner. I exchanged it because of a dead pixel, and my new one has light bleed, too, but it's only across the bottom edge and very minimal. I don't even notice it in the status bar (black and always at the bottom edge of the screen) at all during use, only during boot-up. So, I'm satisfied with my replacement's slight amount of light bleed based on the light bleed from the first one and the reports on this forum.

vadella

Aug 7, 2009
light bleed

Hi All,

I think it's normal that the Asus TF300 has light bleed,I got my new Asus yesterday and I have same issue.

UndisputedGuy

Dec 13, 2011
I don't think i notice bleed so I'm fortunate.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using XDA

Gam3r 4 Life

Mar 5, 2011
Napa, California
Hey guys, I just started to notice this on my new 32. I never noticed it on the 16 I had before this (but I wasnt looking for it either). After a lot of research it seems this is normal for IPS screens. Ive seen some pretty pad Ipads on you tube. Anyway Ive attached a picture of mine at its worse. This was while viewing a solid black jpg. Does this look like a bad case, or minimal? Ive already exchanged/ returned several tablets for different reasons so Im hoping not to need to again. :confused:

Attachments

• IMAG0116.jpg
    IMAG0116.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 353

EndlessDissent

Oct 18, 2010
Chicago
It's kind of hard to tell with the jpeg quality. It makes everything look kind of pixelated.

I'd say, though, that the top two corners look pretty bad. The bottom right corner isn't looking so hot either, but it's better than the same corner on my first TF300.

As for whether you should return it, does it bother you a lot? How often do you look at your screen when it's pure black like that? If you think you can ignore it, save yourself the hassle of another return. If it's going to ruin your tablet experience, return it, and try again.

zurny

May 17, 2012
I received mine two days ago, I immediately did the update and I never had any flickering issues.

rushless

Jan 16, 2008
2012-05-16%252021.45.37.jpg

2012-05-17%252008.25.03.jpg

Not massive bleeding but it was still there so I managed to get it swapped out today thankfully! I didn't want it getting worse. Seems this was a big problem on the Prime so why havent Asus fixed it for the Pad?

Jeepers!

That is not light bleeding, but banana bleeding. There are giant yellow swaths on the display :eek:

Seriously though, that is part of the issue with this type of tech if wanting to price for mass consumer range (for the panel volumes purchased). It gets expensive with the needed design / production specs and the substrate layer to avoid the light bleed. The tolerance in production also means some will bleed more than others. The iPad 1 had issues, but Apple were able to get better quality panels, due to economy of scale to lower cost for the better quality panels.

The Toshiba Excite appears to have even more bleed than the average 300, but the A510 has zero light bleed (reviews support this observation). Of course, most folks buying the 300 are wanting to use the keyboard, so the A510 is not an option.

Last edited:

Gam3r 4 Life

Mar 5, 2011
Napa, California
Light Bleed Fix (if your brave)

Ok, Im in the middle of a fix that I have found for the light bleed. Its actually not all that hard. Im going to write up a full how to once Im done, but just wanted to let anyone know thats interested that it is absolutely fixable.

Ive been through so many tabs I lost count. Im on my 4th TF300, so needless to say frustrated. All returned or exchanged for one reason or another. This one works great, except for the light bleed. So I got brave and decided to tear into it to see what I could do. Ill get into all the details later, but Ive attached before and after pics of one of the worst light bleed spots. The first pic just shows my whole screen in all its light bleeding glory. The second shows it after I have taken it apart, and shows one of the worst spots. Which in the lower right at notification area. The 3rd shows what it looks like after I fixed it. I have about 3 more areas Im going to work on, but wanted to let you guys see its fixable. The best thing about it is that if your careful you can do this without voiding any warranty. Theres one one sticker inside that is the kind that voids warranty if broken and its not hard to avoid.

Anyway see attached pics for my progress so far. :D

jgaf

Aug 14, 2011
Tampa
Ok, Im in the middle of a fix that I have found for the light bleed. Its actually not all that hard. Im going to write up a full how to once Im done, but just wanted to let anyone know thats interested that it is absolutely fixable.

Ive been through so many tabs I lost count. Im on my 4th TF300, so needless to say frustrated. All returned or exchanged for one reason or another. This one works great, except for the light bleed. So I got brave and decided to tear into it to see what I could do. Ill get into all the details later, but Ive attached before and after pics of one of the worst light bleed spots. The first pic just shows my whole screen in all its light bleeding glory. The second shows it after I have taken it apart, and shows one of the worst spots. Which in the lower right at notification area. The 3rd shows what it looks like after I fixed it. I have about 3 more areas Im going to work on, but wanted to let you guys see its fixable. The best thing about it is that if your careful you can do this without voiding any warranty. Theres one one sticker inside that is the kind that voids warranty if broken and its not hard to avoid.

Anyway see attached pics for my progress so far. :D

Let me guess you followed the thread in Prime's forum about fixing it yourself. Did you loosen the screws in the lcd? I been wanting to do this, but since I might not have the right tools I don't want to screw up the warranty. I'm going to check if the service center near my house can do this for me so it stays in warranty. I pretty much have the same light bleeds as you.

Gam3r 4 Life

Mar 5, 2011
Napa, California
Let me guess you followed the thread in Prime's forum about fixing it yourself. Did you loosen the screws in the lcd? I been wanting to do this, but since I might not have the right tools I don't want to screw up the warranty. I'm going to check if the service center near my house can do this for me so it stays in warranty. I pretty much have the same light bleeds as you.

Actually no I didn't know there was a thread about it already, But that's pretty much what I'm doing. If there's a thread about it already I won't bother, I was just trying to help.

jgaf

Aug 14, 2011
Tampa
Dude I didn't mean it like that, I was really looking forward to your walkthrough since it will be 300 based. I was just asking where did you get the idea? Since I've been googling around and I found that on the Prime a couple of weeks ago. Keep doing the walkthrough please, I want to see how you did it? what tools you used? how did you avoid breaking the warranty tapes? etc.

Gam3r 4 Life

Mar 5, 2011
Napa, California
Dude I didn't mean it like that, I was really looking forward to your walkthrough since it will be 300 based. I was just asking where did you get the idea? Since I've been googling around and I found that on the Prime a couple of weeks ago. Keep doing the walkthrough please, I want to see how you did it? what tools you used? how did you avoid breaking the warranty tapes? etc.

The idea came from a YouTube video that I watched, For transformer prime but the way he took apart was totally different. I'll keep trying and if I succeed I'll post a tutorial unfortunately I don't have a way of video taping but I can write a walk-through.

Reactions: jgaf

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

The idea came from a YouTube video that I watched, For transformer prime but the way he took apart was totally different. I'll keep trying and if I succeed I'll post a tutorial unfortunately I don't have a way of video taping but I can write a walk-through.
    I did have huge light bleed on my 1st tf300. I had the docking and tablet combo. I went to Best buy and they exchanged only the tablet. My dock is working and I really like the feel of it.

I had one dead pixel also, but it was smaller than a normal pixel. The guy at Best Buy told me that it was a screen default.

I now have a new tf300 tablet and there is less light bleed but there is still some... Less than the 1st one : i could see it on the home button even with moderate light in the room.

I wish you could give us a complete step by step guide to remove the screen without voiding the warranty.

Thanks!

Without going into a long story you're better off if you just leave it alone. I had a piece of hair stuck under the screen and I tried to get it out and ended up breaking it. I regret taking it apart and wish I would've just left it alone I ended up buying another one. I sent the broken one into Asus and I'm waiting for them to give me a quote on fixing it. So take it from experience you're better off just leaving it alone.