[Tutorial] Upgrade your HTC HD7 memory to 32 GB

Search This thread

dorianmuthig

Mar 21, 2010
Estenfeld
www.dorianmuthig.com
I am now out of spirit for the day.

I went to six T-Mobile stores [...] not one of them had a nokia phone.
They're supposed to have the Nokia 5230 Nuron in stock and at least one display model... I have my doubts they're selling that well since most carrier ads focus on on "free" feature phones or Blackberry and Windows smartphones.

I can offer you to format your card for free (just like upgrading your phone storage and/or software, upgrades are not free), if you're willing to send it to Germany and pay for return shipping.
Return shipping for any standard envelope shipment with 5mm or less thickness and up to 20 grams is EUR 0.75 (uninsured, without tracking and proof of shipment), EUR 2.80 (uninsured, with tracking and proof of shipment) or EUR 4.30 (insured for up to EUR 100, with tracking and proof of shipment), priority mail is EUR 3.45 extra and cannot be combined with proof of shipment (e.g. you have to sign for it and are guaranteed it gets to you and only you) but includes tracking.
This is for any envelope shipment up to 20 grams (you could cheat with helium filled bubble wrap... j/k) so you could send multiple cards (e.g. your old one from your HTC Windows Phone 7). If you send anything (my address is publicly available), please tell me about it in advance and negotiate procedure and return methods.

Reactions: TheCow5

Dr.8820

Jul 11, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
i decided to throw caution in the wind and try it anyways....been watching netflix with no lag....all my stuff synced with zune....i'll keep testing and report back...but thanks so much op, i wish i could hit your thanks button a million times :)!

dorianmuthig

Mar 21, 2010
Estenfeld
www.dorianmuthig.com
i think this number should be added to the list of good cards.....i bought this from verizon in august 2010, it's been 3 days and no issues what-so-ever :).

This card is not on the model number list of official SanDisk cards. If it works, good for you. I do not know which type of SD card Verizon repackaged and rebranded, nor is there a rule about which exact model type they sell. If it does indeed keep working and provides sufficient speeds for video recording and the random access behaviour of applications running in the background, you might just have gotten lucky with your card.

dorianmuthig

Mar 21, 2010
Estenfeld
www.dorianmuthig.com
I found on ebay Sandisk MicroSD Class 2 card, model SDSDQ-032G-E11M, what do you think, would this card work in HD7?

No, this card will not work as it does only have Class 2 performance. You need a card with Class 4 performance. You should use one of the listed cards to be on the safe side, many Class 4 SanDisk cards aren't genuine SanDisk cards, especially if they ship from China or Hong Kong, because the real Class 4 cards are still rather rare. And only a few of the newer Class 2 cards may be actual Class 4 cards, like the SDSDQM-032G-B35(A) (the A only means it comes with a transflash adapter).

Dr.8820

Jul 11, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
No, this card will not work as it does only have Class 2 performance. You need a card with Class 4 performance. You should use one of the listed cards to be on the safe side, many Class 4 SanDisk cards aren't genuine SanDisk cards, especially if they ship from China or Hong Kong, because the real Class 4 cards are still rather rare. And only a few of the newer Class 2 cards may be actual Class 4 cards, like the SDSDQM-032G-B35(A) (the A only means it comes with a transflash adapter).
i don't want you to take this the wrong way, as we are here to help each other :)....but are you a sandisk employee? the op said oem sandisk and class 2, you're saying no...i bought a oem class 2 from verizon and it works. maybe you might be wrong :) (and again, not trying to start a flamewar).

dorianmuthig

Mar 21, 2010
Estenfeld
www.dorianmuthig.com
i don't want you to take this the wrong way, as we are here to help each other :)....but are you a sandisk employee? the op said oem sandisk and class 2, you're saying no...i bought a oem class 2 from verizon and it works. maybe you might be wrong :) (and again, not trying to start a flamewar).

No, I am not a SanDisk employee. But you need a genuine OEM class 4, retail class 4 or a generic class card with class 4 performance. As there is no way to tell which type of card Verizon sold to you, since they likely buy them in bulk and repackage them with their own packaging. If they sold you a class 2 card it likely performs like a class 2 card (2MB/s sustained write speed with random memory alignment blocks (usually 512KB)) and there is no telling about the random (4KB blocks) write speed. This means, if this card works fine for you, because you've got a card from a certain well performing OEM shipment, it may not work as well for others. Also, the common supplier for any type of bulk SanDisk cards is a resale unit in Shenzhen, China, which occasionally gets their hands on malfuncioning, offbook manufactured or even fake cards.
This is a very good read on the subject: http://www.bunniestudios.com/blog/?p=918

Dr.8820

Jul 11, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
No, I am not a SanDisk employee. But you need a genuine OEM class 4, retail class 4 or a generic class card with class 4 performance. As there is no way to tell which type of card Verizon sold to you, since they likely buy them in bulk and repackage them with their own packaging. If they sold you a class 2 card it likely performs like a class 2 card (2MB/s sustained write speed with random memory alignment blocks (usually 512KB)) and there is no telling about the random (4KB blocks) write speed. This means, if this card works fine for you, because you've got a card from a certain well performing OEM shipment, it may not work as well for others. Also, the common supplier for any type of bulk SanDisk cards is a resale unit in Shenzhen, China, which occasionally gets their hands on malfuncioning, offbook manufactured or even fake cards.
This is a very good read on the subject: http://www.bunniestudios.com/blog/?p=918
it works for me is what i'm saying, it should be added :). this is oem and it works, period. it didn't come in bulk :).

dorianmuthig

Mar 21, 2010
Estenfeld
www.dorianmuthig.com
it works for me is what i'm saying, it should be added :). this is oem and it works, period. it didn't come in bulk :).
Yes, it works for you, but since this is a rebranded resale card, just like Kingston cards are, it does not adhere to manufacturing specifications and functionality in the manner required is not guaranteed by every card. The card model number you mentioned is not on the list of official SanDisk retail cards, or OEM cards. You can download those lists on the regional SanDisk websites for Europe, Japan, China/Taiwan, Korea, and the US. You can also easily see that when you google that model number that this thread is the only result that comes up.
There's also some other thread somewhere on this forum, for compatible cards that work with the Samsung Focus (since guaranteed compatible ones are made by Samsung themselves and those aren't available on the retail channel), and all the cards listed as functioning may likely work in the HTC phones, too, some don't and most do exhibit poor performance. The cards I listed are either cards that HTC uses themselves (even if they order the OEM variety, the physical cards are the same) or cards that work according to the storage speed requirements and are of similar make (not model) than the original parts.

Last edited:

loomx

Apr 7, 2005
I found on ebay Sandisk MicroSD Class 2 card, model SDSDQ-032G-E11M, what do you think, would this card work in HD7?

Running that in my HD7, only have 400meg of space left, working perfect, playing games and music at the same time, filming in 720p. No problems. Had it in there for over a week now.

dorianmuthig

Mar 21, 2010
Estenfeld
www.dorianmuthig.com
You need the variety sold in the asian markets or the SDSDQM-032G-B35(A), the card you have is controller optimized for sequential writes and is too slow on small block random reads and writes. This is why you experience slow performance and excessive load times.

enyaj

Jun 26, 2006
General Trias
HTC Leo
HTC One (m7)
You need the variety sold in the asian markets or the SDSDQM-032G-B35(A), the card you have is controller optimized for sequential writes and is too slow on small block random reads and writes. This is why you experience slow performance and excessive load times.

Sir, if you have the time, I would love to know what this means. Sorry I'm just a regular guy but I'm interested on knowing. I saw a 32gb micro sd with the same model number but with calss 2. Would that work or would that be the same?

dorianmuthig

Mar 21, 2010
Estenfeld
www.dorianmuthig.com
It means the controller software on the memory card is optimized in such a way to access large blocks of memory simultaneously. Those blocks are usually 512KB or up to 4MB in size, depending on the card. Unfortunately, if the blocks are large, this means that random access for several small 4KB blocks within the same larger block requires the "optimized" controller to access those large blocks several times in a row in their entirety. Those cards are great for camera use where large photos need to be saved quickly, not so great for an operating system with 4KB file system allocation blocks.

You can use any of the cards listed in Post #43 (page 5) of this thread without experiencing any problems. Since you are in the Asia Pacific region, getting the SDSDQ-032G-J35(A) shouldn't be much of a problem through local channels. In Europe and the US, it is rather hard to get them, which is why I tested several other cards until I found one that works at similar (or better) performance levels that I could use in my phone. This was the SDSDQM-032G-B35(A). The A in parenthesis just means that the card comes with a bundled microSD transflash adapter for use in normal size SD card devices.

enyaj

Jun 26, 2006
General Trias
HTC Leo
HTC One (m7)
This is very hard to find. I went through the biggest cell phone, camera, gadget shop the entire day yesterday and there were very few 32gb's on sale and unfortunately all of them had the same model number. Is this something that the OS controls? Or is this a hardware thing?

enyaj

Jun 26, 2006
General Trias
HTC Leo
HTC One (m7)
This is very hard to find. I went through the biggest cell phone, camera, gadget shop the entire day yesterday and there were very few 32gb's on sale and unfortunately all of them had the same model number. Is this something that the OS controls? Or is this a hardware thing?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Note: sorry for my english... :D
    French version avalaible here : http://www.monsmartphone.net/gonfler-son-htc-hd7-a-32-go-t1036.html

If you think your HTC HD7 is too short with his 8 GB memory, here is a detailed tutorial on how to give it a little boost to 32 GB ! Here is, step by step, how to do it. You can clic on photos to get them in high res...

WARNING : this tutorial needs you to open your smartphone completely, and may unvalidate your warranty. If you upgrade your HD7, you do it at your own risk !!

Read this tutorial entirely before begining anything.

!!! This memory change will completely erase the content of your phone. Backup it before !!

You will need the following tools :
    - A HTC HD7 (yeah, easy...)
    - A Sandisk MicroSD 32 GB Card : Warning !! Ony some references are compatible. Check the compatibility list at the end of this tutorial.
    - A Torx screwdriver - Size : 0.4
    - A little plastic card, like a fidelity card (little size)
    - Tweezers
    - A piece of paper

Remove the battery cover, the battery itself, and you SIM card :

Now, you need to remove the bottom cover. To do this, insert the plastic card inside, and pull upside gently. It will be a little hard, just do it quietly until it "clics". Do the same on the other side, and finish removing the cover :

Take the screwdriver. At minimum, you will need to remove the 3 screws marked by red arrows. Personaly, I remove the 3 screws marked by the green arrows too for more confort. One of the screws is hidden by a VOID sticker (which unvalidates the warranty if you remove it). Either you don't remove this sticker, the other black screws will scratched by the screwdriver, and you will lose warranty in all cases.

Now, pull the plastic framework upside with your finger, to get access to the MicroSD card reader :

The MicroSD card is protected by a "metallic" sticker. Unstick it, and tear it below the plastic framework. You cannot remove it completely :

If you don't want to be annoyed by this sticker, place your piece of paper on it. Now push the memory card in his reader with the tweezers : you will here a clic. Release, the card will be ejected :

Take the MicroSD card with the tweezers, and remove it :

There you are. Now insert your brand new memory card, and reassemble your phone following the previous steps.

Once your phone is reassembled, put your SIM card, the battery, and close the cover.
    To turn it on, push the two volume buttons, and keep them pushed while pressing the Power button :

Keep the volume buttons pressed until you see this message :

Press the Down Volume button to confirm the Hard reset :

Press again the Down Volume button to restart the phone. Follow the Windows Phone configuration wizard, then reboot your phone again (just a simple reboot).
    And "voilà" ! A HTC HD7 with full memory !!! :D

Updated on 28th April 2011 :
    Compatible 32GB card :
    - Sandisk SDSDQ-032G-J35 (Class 4 - Asian market)
    - Sandisk SDSDQM-032G-B35 (Class 2 or Class 4)

Avoid these references :
    - Sandisk SDSDQ-032G-E11M (Class 2 or 4)
    I putting money on, that this voids your warranty.

Just keep the 16gb card spare, put it back in if it needs to go back for warranty, simple.
    Hello,

Where did you purchase your sd card fom ?

Struggling to find a decent dealer in France for a Sandisk 32 Go =(

I bought mine from this dealer : http://shop.ebay.fr/labayatxi/m.html
    But it seems he does not have cards anymore. Maybe you should ask him if he can get new cards ? I bought it 50€, and it had been sent very quickly (I received it the day after my order).
    Of course it does void it...maybe I should add "steel balls" in the necessary tools list ? :D
    Wow...although I don't really feel like doing this, its amazing.

:eek::eek::eek: