[Q]Worth rooting?

Search This thread

sirhager

Dec 5, 2011
Hi, have had much fun with my rooted HTC Sensation, and I've this great Samasung Galaxy Tab 7.7, but is worth it to root my tab? Waiting for ICS to come for 7.7...

adinis78

Sep 29, 2010
Harrison, NJ
Yes it is because you can install titanium backup to back up all your apps and CWM to install different mods and more importantly back up your entire tab. Since you already have the experience you already know the benefits of it. :p

Sent from my GT-P6800 using xda premium

slice77

May 9, 2010
On top of the normal reasons to root your Android device, root apps and what Adinis78 mentioned, the number one reason to do it on the 7.7 is the mod to keep your launcher in memory instead of always having to load icons/widgets when returning home. I almost returned the thing before finding Jade Eyed Wolf's instructions.

K999rrl

Jan 23, 2012
I own aa wifi 7.7. I am thinking abt the same thing as wifi only version barely has any custome rom.. what do u guys think?

jawil

Oct 1, 2007
On top of the normal reasons to root your Android device, root apps and what Adinis78 mentioned, the number one reason to do it on the 7.7 is the mod to keep your launcher in memory instead of always having to load icons/widgets when returning home. I almost returned the thing before finding Jade Eyed Wolf's instructions.

Could you provide å link?

Sent from my GT-P6800 using Tapatalk

burhanistan

Apr 14, 2011
Until Samsung releases an update with a fix, or app devs change the way that apps address the external SD card on the 7.7, rooting and editing the platform file is the only way that any installed apps can write to your external SD card. It's annoying to have to hack the device to get it to work correctly, but there we are.

Reactions: noknok1 and jawil

sirhager

Dec 5, 2011
one to choose?

Had been thinking about the problem with external sd-card :mad: How stable are the ROM's at the moment? And which one should i choose?

mywingtophone

Aug 20, 2007

can you point me to the right directions on this? thanks!

Never mind.

Last edited:

torakun

Dec 12, 2011
I think I may root once ICS is out. It will be my first time rooting though.. So I hope I can understand the tutorial perfectly :)

bdroc

Jul 25, 2010
I wouldn't worry about roms right now unless you are a power user since ICS is probably going to come out soon. but here some general reasons for rooting that I know of:

-Keep launcher in memory (so homescreen icons and widgets don't lag upon reload)
-To apply a theme to the notification bar at the bottom
-HoneyBar/HideBar to get true full-screen (my main reason)...This is arguably the most important reason to root since AMOLED screens have a tendency to burn-in. with your clock and controls there ALL the time, it's very possible that prolonged use at high brightness will burn it in. it happened to my first Samsung Vibrant within a couple of months
-Chainfire to get access to tegra games
-Ad Free to get rid of all in-app ads
-Back-up/restore for apps

if you care about any of these, rooting is super easy....if not, then dont worry about it

Last edited:

K999rrl

Jan 23, 2012
I wouldn't worry about roms right now unless you are a power user since ICS is probably going to come out soon. but here some general reasons for rooting that I know of:

-Keep launcher in memory (so homescreen icons and widgets don't lag upon reload)
-To apply a theme to the notification bar at the bottom
-HoneyBar/HideBar to get true full-screen (my main reason)...This is arguably the most important reason to root since AMOLED screens have a tendency to burn-in. with your clock and controls there ALL the time, it's very possible that prolonged use at high brightness will burn it in. it happened to my first Samsung Vibrant within a couple of months
-Chainfire to get access to tegra games
-Ad Free to get rid of all in-app ads
-Back-up/restore for apps

if you care about any of these, rooting is super easy....if not, then dont worry about it

can ad free get rid of the ads on the web as well?

shazoom

Feb 25, 2011
Bandar Seri Begawan
As long as you make a note of your official firmware, screen shoot perhaps, you can flash it back using Odin to get rid of root. Download it all now just in case the links stop working and to make sure it's actually available.

Sent from my GT-P6800 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts