[Q] HTC One - looking for explanation on S-Off/S-On and Firmware

Search This thread

r1sk

Aug 2, 2007
Hi,

I'm trying to understand once and for all few questions that I can seem to find clear answers to:
* What is the difference between s-on and s-off?
* Is there a good reason why I should attempt to s-off my device?
* Is the s-on / s-off only an HTC "issue" or is there an equivalent "issue" on other brands?
* Firmware, when should I update my firmware ? should I use custom or regular?
* What should I know about flashing a firmware before doing so, and if I must flash firmware for a new iteration of a ROM ?
* What the radio update effect? does it effect only the reception of the device and wifi/bluetooth or is it something else entirely and I misunderstood what is radio in the first place?

please keep in mind I am not a super tech guy so please try and keep the answers pretty simple.
those were a more general questions that I just always wanted to be clear on and couldn't find a satisfying answers for myself.
but I do have some more specific questions regarding my own device.

I have an HTC One, working fine with ARHD 41.0 I wanted to update to the new 51.0 ROM but there were so much talk about the new firmware
that I just wasn't sure if just flashing the ROM is good enough.
here are some specifics of my phone are so you could help me understand what should i do.

M7_UL S-ON
HBOOT - 1.44.0000
Running Android 4.4

(Don't know if any additional information is needed).

All I want to understand is when should I upgrade my firmware , radio ?
How should I proceed without damaging my phone, if I'd like the most up to date ROM on my device?

Thanks.

kamilmirza

Dec 4, 2011
OnePlus 6
S-ON: Security ON
S-OFF: Security OFF
with S-OFF you can access all partitions of your device like hboot firmware(radio, touch, sound etc)

yes, you can always update your firmware and you can convert your standard HTC One to GPe with S-OFF & you can send it to warranty by going 100% stock with S-OFF

* Is the s-on / s-off only an HTC "issue" or is there an equivalent "issue" on other brands?
Yes, no it's in HTC only

you should update your firmware for best/peak performance; custom or regular is up to your preference

* What should I know about flashing a firmware before doing so, and if I must flash firmware for a new iteration of a ROM ?
you must be S-OFF to update your firmware, for the new ROM iteration it is optional

* What the radio update effect? does it effect only the reception of the device and wifi/bluetooth or is it something else entirely and I misunderstood what is radio in the first place?
radio effects your network reception & WiFi

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: r1sk

r1sk

Aug 2, 2007
thanks for the info,

so what would you suggest I should do with my device? just flash the new ROM, or can I try to s-off my device.
I am aware that not everyone can s-off there device so is there an idiot proof guide for s-off(ing) the device so I won't make it a beautiful paperweight?

kamilmirza

Dec 4, 2011
OnePlus 6
thanks for the info,

so what would you suggest I should do with my device? just flash the new ROM, or can I try to s-off my device.
I am aware that not everyone can s-off there device so is there an idiot proof guide for s-off(ing) the device so I won't make it a beautiful paperweight?

it's totally up to you
i would suggest that you stay S-OFF always
there is no such "idiot proof guide" :p
i think this guide is quite detailed for achieving S-OFF

Reactions: r1sk

ronaldyeo

Sep 27, 2013
Xiaomi Mi MIX 4
thanks for the info,

I'm new here too, been lurking around and learning what I can.

Firstly, you can follow this link for a easy S-Off guide. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=43636271
It empowers you with things like SuperCID which allows you to update to the latest radio available.

Since you are on hboot1.44, you can update it to the latest firmware after acquiring your S-Off. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2485651 << that's where you can find the latest firmware.

This is to allow you to experience the optimal performance for your phone since you are on the latest version.

Once all that is done, you can move onto custom recovery as well as flashing your desired kernel and ROM, I'm using ElementalX 11.4 with ARHD6.0 (GPE).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    S-ON: Security ON
    S-OFF: Security OFF
    with S-OFF you can access all partitions of your device like hboot firmware(radio, touch, sound etc)

yes, you can always update your firmware and you can convert your standard HTC One to GPe with S-OFF & you can send it to warranty by going 100% stock with S-OFF

Yes, no it's in HTC only

you should update your firmware for best/peak performance; custom or regular is up to your preference

you must be S-OFF to update your firmware, for the new ROM iteration it is optional

radio effects your network reception & WiFi

Sent from my One using Tapatalk
    thanks for the info,

it's totally up to you
    i would suggest that you stay S-OFF always
    there is no such "idiot proof guide" :p
    i think this guide is quite detailed for achieving S-OFF