[Q] Is my phone manufacturer required to give me their stock rom?

Search This thread

TheHighLife

Jan 27, 2013
Hey guys :)

I've got an unknown phone which I rooted using the Kingo application. Now I want to try and create my own custom rom using a couple guides on here. But to do this, I need the stock rom of my phones manufacturer, right? Well, I went ahead and emailed their support, and this is what they said:

'We do not give out the stock rom for your phone to our customers, if you want it repaired send it to blablablabla'

Now I told them that my phone isn't broken, and that i'm just asking to get the stock rom since they didn't put it online. My question is as following:

Is my phone manufacturer required to give me their stock rom since Android is open source? (based on Linux & some java coding right?) Also, if they are, are they also required to give me the stock roms of phones I don't own when i request them?

English is not my native language, so please bear with me.

Thanks in advance for the replies!

Critical Detox

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 28, 2010
Parts Unknown

I've got an unknown phone which I rooted using the Kingo application. Now I want to try and create my own custom rom using a couple guides on here. But to do this, I need the stock rom of my phones manufacturer, right? Well, I went ahead and emailed their support, and this is what they said:

'We do not give out the stock rom for your phone to our customers, if you want it repaired send it to blablablabla'

Now I told them that my phone isn't broken, and that i'm just asking to get the stock rom since they didn't put it online. My question is as following:

Is my phone manufacturer required to give me their stock rom since Android is open source? (based on Linux & some java coding right?) Also, if they are, are they also required to give me the stock roms of phones I don't own when i request them?

They are required to give the source code at some point but not the actual rom.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: TheHighLife

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9

No Android is not open source. Only the kernel is. They are not required to give anything but the kernel source code and if they are in China then they won't give you anything at all.

Bat cave One

Reactions: TheHighLife

TheHighLife

Jan 27, 2013
Thanks for the replies guys, what can i do with the source code? Somehow 'compile' it to the stock rom?

:)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

They are required to give the source code at some point but not the actual rom.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using xda app-developers app

No Android is not open source. Only the kernel is. They are not required to give anything but the kernel source code and if they are in China then they won't give you anything at all.

Bat cave One