[Q] Setup issue. Black home screen

Search This thread

mrstimpy

Oct 29, 2010
Having the same here after the 15250 update, (I am using a digital to analog converter device with VGA and 3.5mm plug outputs) at first I thought that I did something wrong before rebooting, but it used to work on 1680x1050 and after reboot it went blank on me, I can see the splash screen on boot, then blank, I can connect to the Web and I see it online, but my monitor is reporting it is on 1920x1080 resolution and asking me to switch back. I even tried manually flashing the 15250 eureka_image.zip file again from the recovery, but I still get blank screen.

I will manually flash the 14975.002 back and let you guys know how it went...

Thanks!!

Last edited:

bhiga

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 13, 2010
Having the same here after the 15250 update, (I am using a digital to analog converter device with VGA and 3.5mm plug outputs) at first I thought that I did something wrong before rebooting, but it used to work on 1680x1050 and after reboot it went blank on me, I can see the splash screen on boot, then blank, I can connect to the Web and I see it online, but my monitor is reporting it is on 1920x1080 resolution and asking me to switch back. I even tried manually flashing the 15250 eureka_image.zip file again from the recovery, but I still get blank screen.

Definitely sounds like Google changed the resolution negotiation between 14975 and 15250. Not sure why, but maybe they're doing some optimizations for specific resolutions (might make sense for optimization of screen mirroring).

Look forward to hearing your result.

FWIW, 15250 is still working fine through my HDfury2 but that's going to Component and not VGA (it seems to be stuck in YUV mode regardless of the YUV/RGB switch setting), and also through a downscaler. Not sure if the downscaler will tell me whether it's getting 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p or 480i... will have to look when I get a chance to take over that TV.

mrstimpy

Oct 29, 2010
14975.002 didn't make it... there's something in what got changed in 15250 that was not tampered with before it. I will flash flashcast+pwnedcast-1.0 back then gradually upgrade and see how it goes. Will keep you guys posted...

bhiga

Oct 13, 2010
14975.002 didn't make it... there's something in what got changed in 15250 that was not tampered with before it. I will flash flashcast+pwnedcast-1.0 back then gradually upgrade and see how it goes. Will keep you guys posted...
Just to make sure, did you unplug the Chromecast from the TV and re-plug it after the re-flash? Often times HDMI needs a connection cycle for a full reset.

AustinMartin

Jul 18, 2011

Thanks!!

This would make sense why it's not working on my TV, as it's a 720P plasma screen. This probably means it doesn't work with any 720P TV though, so you think they would have seen this in testing.

mrstimpy

Oct 29, 2010
Just to make sure, did you unplug the Chromecast from the TV and re-plug it after the re-flash? Often times HDMI needs a connection cycle for a full reset.

Yeah... many times I also did powercycle the digital to analog adapter with no luck... I still haven't been able to downgrade, but I will post the results as soon as I do...

Cheers!

mrstimpy

Oct 29, 2010
Well... I don't have good news...

I Factory reset the CC, then flashed flashcast 1.1.1 and Pwned-Cast Rom with same results: Black Screen...

So I really don't know what's going on here...

I think I will try going back to a previous version of Flashcast too... but I don't think that would make it either... :(

bhiga

Oct 13, 2010
Well... I don't have good news...

I Factory reset the CC, then flashed flashcast 1.1.1 and Pwned-Cast Rom with same results: Black Screen...

So I really don't know what's going on here...

I think I will try going back to a previous version of Flashcast too... but I don't think that would make it either... :(
If your TV/monitor/adapter has multiple HDMI ports - try a different one.

mrstimpy

Oct 29, 2010
Unfortunately it only has one HDMI port, which I am pretty sure it works properly as I also connect the cable box there...

I went back to flashcast 1.0 bin, then flashcast-1.1 rom. Same black screen... :(

I was thinking maybe there is like a partition on the chromecast that only got modified after flashing 15250 as I can't find any other explanation...

I will join the irc channel and ask the guys if they can think of anything... Thanks bhiga!

bhiga

Oct 13, 2010
Only other thing I can think of is perhaps it somehow caches device IDs and/or resolutions.
Successfully connecting to a different device might give it the necessary kick or reset.
I'm sure the guys will be able to help out more. :)

-= this post enhanced with bonus mobile typos =-

bhiga

Oct 13, 2010
Hi bhiga, that didn't helped either... but thanks for the help.

I have spoken with mighty ddggttff3 he made me try a "vanilla" 16041 which didn't make it and asked me to open up a thread at google chromecast support.

So anyone with similar issues should post in this thread:

https://productforums.google.com/d/topic/chromecast/xXyNrzm-e8g/discussion
Thanks for the update!

IMO, everyone who has an issue with a Google update should be sure to provide feedback to Google, even if it's a known issue. Since non-rooted devices cannot refuse Google OTA updates, it essentially means Google could unintentionally make your Chromecast unusable (for you) on any update, and that's not cool, even for a "cheap" $35 device.

Google needs to know that forced automatic updates are not what people want. Heck, even Nintendo let me refuse updates with the warning that "Hey, this game won't work if you don't update."

EarlyMon

Jun 23, 2010
Thanks for the update!

IMO, everyone who has an issue with a Google update should be sure to provide feedback to Google, even if it's a known issue. Since non-rooted devices cannot refuse Google OTA updates, it essentially means Google could unintentionally make your Chromecast unusable (for you) on any update, and that's not cool, even for a "cheap" $35 device.

Google needs to know that forced automatic updates are not what people want. Heck, even Nintendo let me refuse updates with the warning that "Hey, this game won't work if you don't update."

Remember that control issue I had that 15250 fixed, brought on by a previous update?

I reported it. Said it affected everything.

After it was fixed, they emailed me and told me that my report was rejected, I had to contact Netflix, despite the problem appearing on YouTube and despite others adding to my report.

I agree with you, I'll support it and post there.

I don't think they'll listen but I'll keep asking.

Last edited:

bhiga

Oct 13, 2010
Remember that control issue I had that 15250 fixed, brought on by a previous update?

I reported it. Said it affected everything.

After it was fixed, they emailed me and told me that my report was rejected, I had to contact Netflix, despite the problem appearing on YouTube and despite others adding to my report.

I agree with you, I'll support it and post there.

I don't think they'll listen but I'll keep asking.
Big companies tend to reject "onesy-twosy" problem so often times it takes the snowball to build a bit. But of course the snowball can't build if people can't get their snow together... Always tough, but support tickets are usually the best way to get counted. Even a forum thread with 50+ pages and 200+ posts is too easy for a manager to say "Well, it's a forum. They complain."
200+ support tickets on a similar issue is a bit more difficult to ignore.

I'm not speaking for Google here, just from my own experience working in the Silicon Valley tech industry.

mrstimpy

Oct 29, 2010
This is the correct link to open a support ticket:

https://support.google.com/chromecast/contact/chromecast_technical

The other was just a forum thread.

Make yourselves heard...

By the way, I have just got the first reply, of course, blaming my converter, telling me it must not support HDCP. To which I replied if that was required only AFTER because my adapter worked before being upgraded to 15250...

Hating google right now...

bhiga

Oct 13, 2010
This is the correct link to open a support ticket:

https://support.google.com/chromecast/contact/chromecast_technical

The other was just a forum thread.

Make yourselves heard...

By the way, I have just got the first reply, of course, blaming my converter, telling me it must not support HDCP. To which I replied if that was required only AFTER because my adapter worked before being upgraded to 15250...

Hating google right now...
Be patient and wade through the "playbook" until you get them stumped and they escalate to an actual bug report.

-= this post enhanced with bonus mobile typos =-

Skazki

Apr 10, 2012
Moscow
I has the same problem yesterday and cant fix it!

"After this update my chromecast doesnt boot Only Google Logo then black screen on my TV Samsung... Thx Google...
I tried to disconnect USB and plug in it to POWER adapter - it doesnt help me, then I tried to hard reset from physical button on Chromecast - it doestnt helps to me too! Any ideas? After HR chromecast now displays on my TV like "Player". Chromecast app cant connect to Chromecast..."

Any ideas? I think my Chromecast died :(

YassinTP

Feb 21, 2012
Please don't blame me for bringing up an old thread, but I'm experiencing the same problem with my Chromecast (on the latest software build) when connected to my 1080p-HDCP-capable HDMI to VGA converter (which is connected to my VGA-only projector). My Chromecast itself is fine as it works perfectly when connected to a newer LG 1080p TV.

Is there anything new on this topic?

bhiga

Oct 13, 2010
Please don't blame me for bringing up an old thread, but I'm experiencing the same problem with my Chromecast (on the latest software build) when connected to my 1080p-HDCP-capable HDMI to VGA converter (which is connected to my VGA-only projector). My Chromecast itself is fine as it works perfectly when connected to a newer LG 1080p TV.

Is there anything new on this topic?
What resolution is your HDMI to VGA converter sending to the projector - and what resolutions do your projector support?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    HDMI doesn't care about PAL vs NTSC frequencies by design, exactly why so many in the UK were able to adopt early last year.
    While I agree that it shouldn't matter in this day and age, they still exist separately in the EDID data because of the differing pixel clocks.

It's possible (though ill-advised) for a modern display to reject an input signal based on it being 50/100 Hz or 60/120 Hz.
    I deal with a lot of AV stuff and have run into this issue from time to time.
    :) I'm learning every day... sometimes the hard way.

Traditionally European TV sets have been more forgiving than their US counterparts, accepting NTSC "nudged" into PAL-60 or NTSC 4.43 in the analog realm.

While the transition to HD did unify the display resolutions and pixel aspect ratios (everything's square, yay!), the differences in refresh/sampling rates remained. :(

One day my friend, one day... everything will be 600 Hz or better so 24, 25, 30, 50 and 60 fps content will all be supported and play without judder or needing interpolation. :cyclops:

So back to the topic at hand, it's possible the OP's TV doesn't know what to do with a 30/60 Hz input from Chromecast, though that would be quite silly of LG to impose such a restriction. Still, silly happens more often than you think for all kinds of reasons (gray market sales due to varying exchange rates and import/export laws often is a concern, as we burden on regional support that got no revenue from the foreign sale).
    TBH, I don't know for certain whether Chromecast is capable of 25/50 Hz output, it might be. But being that Google isn't selling it outside of US/Canada yet, I doubt they've tested it.

>> Anybody in Europe, can you confirm me whether Chromecast outputs 720/50p, 1080/50i or 1080/50p to your TV? <<
    Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda app-developers app
    Hi bhiga, that didn't helped either... but thanks for the help.

I have spoken with mighty ddggttff3 he made me try a "vanilla" 16041 which didn't make it and asked me to open up a thread at google chromecast support.

So anyone with similar issues should post in this thread:

https://productforums.google.com/d/topic/chromecast/xXyNrzm-e8g/discussion

Cheers!
    The projector's OSD now shows "640x480 @60,00 Hz". Attaching the Chromecast to my HP monitor does not work as the Chromecast decides on 1080p output at 30,00 Hz, which is not supported by the monitor.

Is there something I can do about this problem, maybe with a rooted Chromecast OS? Or is it telling me that it just won't work with my old projector?
    Root currently won't help with resolution detection/selection.

Your image is blurry because each of those 640x480 pixels is being stretched to 3 pixels wide and 2.5 pixels tall. ;)
    This could be due to lack of HDCP, as downconverting to analog SD is an option when there's no HDCP negotiation.

What you probably need is either a converter that negotiates as HDCP-compliant and can set the EDID information like I mentioned earlier (HDfury3), or an inline device like Dr. HDMI* that can force specific EDIDs - that way Chromecast won't choose a stupid resolution.

Not sure how much more money you want to invest in this project though...

* No, I do not get paid by the HDfury folks - I just reference their products often because I have had good experience with them personally and in the case of Dr. HDMI, it's cheaper than similar products from Gefen and others.