New and Improved way to Unroot your device (much easier) [difficulty level 4]

Search This thread

jjjackson56

Mar 27, 2009
LBC
So I am moving onto a new phone so I will not be supporting this thread anymore. Please help each other the best you can. Also if anyone wants to take over and support this thread feel free. Last but not least if anyone wants to use any of the items I put into this also feel free. Remember that android is made possible with contrbutions from viewers like you!

Check out my new guide its much easier and automated now!!

Sorry but I no longer have the files that were in the zip as my laptop that they were on no longer has a charger so I really don't have a way to pull them off until I come up with extra funds to buy a charger for that dinosaur!

I have updated the commands so everything will be working correctly.

Please note this a guide to unrooting your device and returning it to stock, if you have nothing stock and didn't back anything up i.e. modded rom, changed recovery, eng. bootloader.

If you didn't follow the ultimate guide then you will not need to follow steps 1-7. Just follow from 8 on.

Also keep in mind this was created assuming you followed the ultimate guide to permaroot turning radio s=off and changing cid thus unlocking phone.

I am not responsible for any damage to your phone blah blah blah.

Also if I am incorrect in any of these steps someone please let me know.

Also this is just a guide that I wrote using all the others. Please thank and donate to grankin01 for providing the original guide and also thank/donate to tiger013 for providing a stock nandroid. Also thank Football for providing new rom.

With that said here we go:
Download the PD15IMG file and rename it to PD15IMG.zip

1. Copy PD15IMG.zip and "part7backup-whatevernuberitscalled.bin" to the root of your sdcard

2. Connect your phone to your computer and navigate to your sdk folder then type adb push gfree /data/local

3. Open up terminal emulator or adb shell and type "su" press enter to get root privileges.

4. Type "cd /data/local" and hit enter

5. Type "chmod 777 gfree" and hit enter to make the program executable.

6. Now type "./gfree -f" press enter to run gfree again. It will disable wp on the emmc and remove the brq filter in the kernel. (as well as make another backup. delete this)

7. Now run the "dd if=/sdcard/part7backup-whatevernumberitscalled.bin of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p7" and it should show the output:
xxxx bytes in
xxxxbytes out
xxxxxxxxxx copied in xxxxxxxxxxx

8. Run "sync" and then reboot.

9. Let phone load then boot into bootloader again by holding volume down and pressing power

10. Let it load image and select yes to update.

11. Let it do its work it will reboot once this is normal.

And that should be it. Enjoy stock rom.

Last edited:

bobsbbq

Jun 8, 2008
Cleveland, TX
I assume this will not work if you have made a backup with clockwork? Also your instructions say apply nandroid backup, but there is no option in recovery for appy nandroid backup. There are options to update from update.zip and another one from a zip file. The folder inside you unroot package is not a zip file?

jjjackson56

Mar 27, 2009
LBC
I assume this will not work if you have made a backup with clockwork? Also your instructions say apply nandroid backup, but there is no option in recovery for appy nandroid backup. There are options to update from update.zip and another one from a zip file. The folder inside you unroot package is not a zip file?

Well like I said this was done using no backups made.

Under clockworks recovery theres an option for backups and restore - this is the nandroid restore.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using XDA App

mountainboy

Dec 2, 2008
Sonora
This is awesome! I'm getting a replacement mt4g in the mail soon, now I will be able to send my existing phone back 'unrooted'. Thank you!

topgun303

Sep 19, 2010
springfield va
Is this unroot like out of the box type deal. So that i can get future ota updates. I used ultimate guide to perm root. I am using stock rom. I am notsure if i should just do unroot.zip to unroot for future ota updates.

gaww

Oct 4, 2010
Asheville, NC
You may be able to but I don't know how nor do I care to figure it out. If someone wants to write instructions pm me them and I'll post them in the op

A guide for terminal emulator would be welcome.

I did S=off with it (plus radio) with root explorer and terminal emulator only. It was much easier and quicker.

mrpanic7

Apr 18, 2010
quick question, does following this take you back to factory ROM? for exampe im on iced glacier 1.1.1, will it take me to factory ROM?

iblaststatic2020

Feb 16, 2010
Mesa
so...?

I put the nandroid file on my sdcard, but in recovery when i go to restore there it says no files. What do I need to do to get this to work. I have a replacement coming to me so I need to figure this out.

Edit: Sorry I'm an idiot. I got it know. Thank you so much for posting this.

Edit2: Crap! Ok I have s=on now but i still have hboot 0.86.0000 Shouldn't I have the old one now?

Last edited:

CRoman247

Nov 10, 2010
this sucks... i followed everything perfectly but now my recovery is screwed up ugh this is so frustrating i have that stupid phone with a red triangle thing when i try to boot into recovery (yes im aware its supposed to be stock recovery not clockwork)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So I am moving onto a new phone so I will not be supporting this thread anymore. Please help each other the best you can. Also if anyone wants to take over and support this thread feel free. Last but not least if anyone wants to use any of the items I put into this also feel free. Remember that android is made possible with contrbutions from viewers like you!

Check out my new guide its much easier and automated now!!

Sorry but I no longer have the files that were in the zip as my laptop that they were on no longer has a charger so I really don't have a way to pull them off until I come up with extra funds to buy a charger for that dinosaur!

I have updated the commands so everything will be working correctly.

Please note this a guide to unrooting your device and returning it to stock, if you have nothing stock and didn't back anything up i.e. modded rom, changed recovery, eng. bootloader.

If you didn't follow the ultimate guide then you will not need to follow steps 1-7. Just follow from 8 on.

Also keep in mind this was created assuming you followed the ultimate guide to permaroot turning radio s=off and changing cid thus unlocking phone.

I am not responsible for any damage to your phone blah blah blah.

Also if I am incorrect in any of these steps someone please let me know.

Also this is just a guide that I wrote using all the others. Please thank and donate to grankin01 for providing the original guide and also thank/donate to tiger013 for providing a stock nandroid. Also thank Football for providing new rom.

With that said here we go:
    Download the PD15IMG file and rename it to PD15IMG.zip

1. Copy PD15IMG.zip and "part7backup-whatevernuberitscalled.bin" to the root of your sdcard

2. Connect your phone to your computer and navigate to your sdk folder then type adb push gfree /data/local

3. Open up terminal emulator or adb shell and type "su" press enter to get root privileges.

4. Type "cd /data/local" and hit enter

5. Type "chmod 777 gfree" and hit enter to make the program executable.

6. Now type "./gfree -f" press enter to run gfree again. It will disable wp on the emmc and remove the brq filter in the kernel. (as well as make another backup. delete this)

7. Now run the "dd if=/sdcard/part7backup-whatevernumberitscalled.bin of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p7" and it should show the output:
    xxxx bytes in
    xxxxbytes out
    xxxxxxxxxx copied in xxxxxxxxxxx

8. Run "sync" and then reboot.

9. Let phone load then boot into bootloader again by holding volume down and pressing power

10. Let it load image and select yes to update.

11. Let it do its work it will reboot once this is normal.

And that should be it. Enjoy stock rom.
    @CRoman247

this is correct if you followed the first 6 steps correct then this is what you would see now you need to boot into fastboot by powering off then hold vol down while pressing power then select fastboot and continue at step 8
    So, basically I can just turn S back to S ON and then downgrade back to the stock rom and radio correct? Thx

I'll try it Monday when I get the new device.
    Turn s on last tho or you loose permissions

Correct

Sent from my CM NexSense using XDA App
    Oh by the way you shouldn't have to rename it its already named what it needs to be.