G1 Problems and ROM Questions...

Search This thread

dragonl77

Mar 24, 2009
Jacksonville
Hey guys and gals. I'm new here but I did have a few questions.

Right now my G1 is giving me problems. Here is the scenario. I have loaded into my phone the OpenHome with the Aero theme, BetterCut, Font-Games font pack, and the Icon pack for Aero. Once I set OpenHome to only use 3 screens, I get a force close error. Then, if I were to shut off the phone and then restart it, it hangs on the Android screen (the new one since I already have the cupcake loaded into my phone).

Has anyone had this problem? Any work arounds to fix it?

I was also thinking of rooting my phone to see if that would fix my problems.

Which ROM would you recomend for me to use? and what are the pros and cons for each. Not looking to the Rosie or Sense UI rom yet, but the basic Cupcake rom.

Thanks

NeoBlade

Jan 26, 2009
www.eMagi.co.uk
This post is in the wrong section as this is for development only.

If you do root your mobile, I would currently suggest Cyanogen's ROM as its up to date, stable and has some cutting edge stuff inside. The theme is also sleek and lightweight without any real modifications to make it look like Hero etc.

NeoBlade

Jan 26, 2009
www.eMagi.co.uk
Don't worry about it, the double post was by me as XDA struggles with the amount of users hitting the forum ^_^ There's a new Q&A section for the Dream so you can post questions and that which are not related to the development of Android. Unless its a specific ROM issue usually the posts go there.

Hope the rooting and the use of the ROM of your choice goes well!

dragonl77

Mar 24, 2009
Jacksonville
One last question.

Where can I find specific directions on how to root my phone for the very first time?

I've located a few things but keep getting errors when I try to install the ROM?

Thanks for all your help

uy4d

Jun 28, 2009
One last question.

Where can I find specific directions on how to root my phone for the very first time?

I've located a few things but keep getting errors when I try to install the ROM?

Thanks for all your help

go to here..
Code:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=519523

helps me a lot when I'm in trouble.. it also covers everything you need.. :)

NeoBlade

Jan 26, 2009
www.eMagi.co.uk
Indeed, its a decent thread of which I hope still gets updated. I've also had it in my signature too, to help raise the awareness of such an FAQ.

dragonl77

Mar 24, 2009
Jacksonville
I'm looking around and not seeing anything concerning Non-rooted phones already running cupcake (Build CRB43).

Will I have to downgrade to RC29 in order to begin rooting my phone?

And is that possible even though I'm running the latest version of Android (ver1.5)?

NeoBlade

Jan 26, 2009
www.eMagi.co.uk
Good question! I didn't see that you had 1.5 OTA running as it wasn't stated in your original post so we assumed you were running on 1.1. I just quickly read that you wanted a basic cupcake ROM...

You would have to downgrade yeah if you want to obtain ROOT and thus enabling you to flash custom ROMs and other goodies.

ttabbal

Jul 1, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Yes, you have to downgrade to RC29 and it can be done with the latest version of the phone software. Follow the directions they already posted. It's reasonably straightforward. There's even a video guide on youtube so you can see what the various screens look like.