Use iPhone charger for Nexus One?

Search This thread

eXelero

Apr 17, 2009
Bucharest
Hi guys,

since the charger of the iPhone has an USB connector, my question is if I can use that charger for the Nexus One too??

Since it supplies actually the same energy level (both can get energy from a PC USB instead), does this mean that also the charger delivers current with good specifications for the N1?

thanx in advance
exelero

scote

Mar 30, 2007
How are you going to plug the iPhone 30 pin in to a micro USB? Maybe I'm not understanding you correctly.

I think (s)he means the mains adapter part with the USB socket in it - in which case yes it will work, you just need the right cable - which came with your N1

Looking forward to when all manufacturers standardised on micro usb, for a while I thought that mini usb was micro, so I was surprised to see that the n1 was different then I found out....

eXelero

Apr 17, 2009
Bucharest
in which case yes it will work

yeah, from the connection part, I know it will work. my question was more related if the iPhone charger delivers the appropriate current (tension/amperage) conditions for the N1 and, let's say, it won't burn the N1 due to a too high voltage, or mess up the battery due to an incorrect tension input.

damchi

Oct 15, 2007
I was just having a conversation on chargers with a friend of mine the other day and googled around on the subject on amperage/current/Ma of chargers..

I stumbled upon these posts (either here on XDA, Androidforums or other forums):

1. "The current rating on a voltage source is the maximum amount that the power
source can deliver without exceeding its saftey rating.

What this means is that if you are using some device that has a power supply
with a current rating of 500mA then its best not to use a different power
supply(at the same votlage rating) with a lower max current rating. i.e.,
anything < 500mA. Now ofcourse you might be able to get away with it but if
it burns down your house then its your fault.

A device will only pull the amount of current that it uses(assuming it is a
voltage controlled device) and this is true regardless of the current
rating(hence the saftey issues I discussed above). If a device
says(sometimes they don't) it uses 500mA then it uses 500mA. Maybe it
doesn't use 500mA all the time but the engineers have put that rating there
for a reason. Using any power supply with the right voltage and a current
rating of anything more than what the device uses is ok because the device
will only pull the current it uses.

Now, about the voltage rating: The voltage rating does not have to be exact
and different devices can tolerate different voltage ratings. The problem
usually is one of current. By increasing the voltage, say, you increase the
current the device uses and then you have changed the parameters that the
device was created with."

2. "And as far plugging your phone into a charger that outputs well over 850mA, don't worry about that either. Unlike voltage, the more amperage the merrier because the device will only take what it needs of the available resources."

3. "Moral of the story. Match the Voltage (5.1Volts) Meet or Exceed the 850mA rating. (which is .850 Amps) and you'll be fine."

4. "amps are not pushed but drawn
amps is the max the charger can provide
before it get pressured and lover the volts

you could use a 5volt 10000MegaAmp charger
and the device would only draw the amps the device
was made to draw all the rest of the amps would stay
at your electricity company

ohms law state Amps == volts / residence"

5. "amps are not pushed but drawn

ohms law state Amps == volts / residence

In other English:

P = VI, where

P = Power of device (watts) and is fixed
V = Voltage used by device (volts) and is fixed
I = Current (amps) and is decided by P/V (a fixed ratio)

So the device cannot draw more current than the fixed ratio. It may draw less current if the charger cannot supply the highest amount, but then as in one of the above posts, it simply takes longer to recharge.

With these devices, milliWatts/miliAmps are the scale, 5V is generally the fixed Potential Difference.

Used in a vehicle, the device is generally both drawing and expending energy (ie. charging and running say, GPS) simultaneously. This in/out situation when prolonged is the cause of the observed overheating with the original X1 battery."

Bottom line... Make sure the voltage is 5V, the amperage doesn't really matter.

eXelero

Apr 17, 2009
Bucharest
thanx for your feedback.
both chargers have the same output (5V, 1A) - so I am already successfully using it. :)

deprecate

Jan 3, 2009
honolulu
To answer the OP's question...

yes it works fine. I have one in my car and charge my ipod and nexus at the same time without issue. The advanced zune car adapter also works (in case one of the 5 who own a zune are reading this :)).

dchadwick

Jul 20, 2009
I have been using my old Iphone white plug -> USB adapter for almost a month now and I haven't had any issues.

uhohhotdog

Apr 8, 2010
I tried using the iPhone charger but it charges slow...it does not quick charge. Am I doing something wrong?

didko0o0o0

Jul 30, 2011
Варна
Can i use X10 mini charger (5v DC 850mA output) on nexus one by the things i read i understand that i can't but my english is not very good. Thanks

DonDizzurp

Aug 15, 2009
The Internet
if youre talking about using the iphone usb cable on your n1, HAHAAHHAAHAHAHAH

if you mean using the usb-to-AC adaptor then yea you can use any usb cable to charge anything pretty much..