Alternative to 10 post rule

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

boborone

I'm sorry... I don't really understand. There most certainly is a Windows RT jailbreak. This is the major thread with the Windows RT jailbreak: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2092158

You're usually correct, but not in this instance. Here's me in a thread asking a highly technical question: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2143036

Here's a screenshot of my port of Process Hacker to jailbroken RT Surfaces: http://i1357.photobucket.com/albums/q748/myriakitty/RT_Screenshot_zpsa430cd02.png

Well maybe I need to follow my dad's advice. But seriously man. It's 10 posts. Not that hard to achieve.

Sent from my Galaxy SII

Fallen Spartan

Moderator Emeritus- Irish Pride, Spartan Legacy
I'm here for the Windows RT dev discussion threads, but have no way to post in them, even though I'm a competent developer. I can't answer any questions in Q&A because they're all Android-related questions, and I don't even own an Android. This 10-post system seems ill-designed when even moderators can't override it for qualified individuals who get caught up in it.

There also isn't a Windows RT forum for jailbreaking other than this one, as far as I know.

Actually you are mistaken, admin can and will override the 10 post restriction for users who can prove a level of maturity/development

You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think! XDA, mobile wisdom, not a n00b feeding ground!!

Last edited:

roofrider

Jul 24, 2011
Bangalore, IN
Actually you are mistaken, admin can and will override tbe 10 post restriction for users who can prove a level of maturity/development

You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think! XDA, mobile wisdom, not a n00b feeding ground!!

Well you can't blame him/her for that. No one actually knows that as there is nothing indicating such a process anywhere on the site afaik. That is why i asked for a form for this purpose. Pulsar said devs have pm'd him in the past...i frankly don't know how they got to him in the first place, maybe they just contacted a mod who passed it on to him or they were smart enough to head to the mods/admins list and picked the developer admin. I dunno, when i joined i was lost ...it took me weeks/months to familiarize myself to this site.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deadly

Fallen Spartan

Well you can't blame him/her for that. No one actually knows that as there is nothing indicating such a process anywhere on the site afaik. That is why i asked for a form for this purpose. Pulsar said devs have pm'd him in the past...i frankly don't know how they got to him in the first place, maybe they just contacted a mod who passed it on to him or they were smart enough to head to the mods/admins list and picked the developer admin. I dunno, when i joined i was lost ...it took me weeks/months to familiarize myself to this site.

The reason we don't advertise this is because, if we did, admin would be inundated from users requesting the 10 post restriction was removed for them. Instead, we rely on the educated to think and work it out for themselves. It's been posted a fair few times in various threads and any "dev" coming from another forum with any brains would be contacting admin/mods to see if they can bypass certain restrictions....i.e. we don't want to open the floodgates to the stupid

it took me weeks/months to familiarize myself to this site.
yet it can take a new user less than an hour to achieve 10 posts by helping others

justmpm

Retired Senior Moderator
Dec 22, 2010
Jumpston Junction
Well maybe I need to follow my dad's advice. But seriously man. It's 10 posts. Not that hard to achieve.

Sent from my Galaxy SII

Since this thread is about alternatives to the 10 post rule, I think your post really shows the main problem with the 10 post rule. What ever the alternative is (if there is one) it should be less about quantity and more about quality of posts. What you say is true, it is not that difficult to achieve 10 posts. It is significantly more difficult to hit 10 posts if somebody is being a good xda'er and actually searching, reading, and thinking before posting. It can be particularly more difficult for somebody using a "minority" platform, like Windows 8. Just using thread count, there are ~28 times more threads for just one variant of the Galaxy SII than for all of Windows 8. The comparison becomes ridiculous if it is done by post count or if you include all the mostly android specific threads in the non-device specific forums on xda.

Reactions: roofrider

roofrider

Jul 24, 2011
Bangalore, IN
The reason we don't advertise this is because, if we did, admin would be inundated from users requesting the 10 post restriction was removed for them. Instead, we rely on the educated to think and work it out for themselves. It's been posted a fair few times in various threads and any "dev" coming from another forum with any brains would be contacting admin/mods to see if they can bypass certain restrictions....i.e. we don't want to open the floodgates to the stupid

yet it can take a new user less than an hour to achieve 10 posts by helping others

Didn't know it was mentioned in a few threads as i wasn't looking for it specifically and only came to know about it last month from the feedback thread, forgive my ignorance. I agree there will be an influx of noobs who would be requesting for it but it can be made a 'for developers' only form? Anyway i'm not really pushing for it now.

I usually ask new users (not no0bs) to just create a thread in general section whatever their purpose might be, be it an issue with a rom or a development thread itself, which can be moved later and they will also get their 10 posts in the process.

I'm willing to bet that the vast majority's first 10 posts are not helpful ones...they just want to get it over with. But what i feel is that over the course of time they will be helpful (if they continue using xda) but no matter how many times you tell them to make 10 helpful posts initially, it won't happen. Because helping is not their intention, at that point of time they just want to get in. That is why i'm not a fan of the 10 post rule lately, prefer something better.

--edit--
+1 to what justmpm said. The 10 posts a new user makes are worthless mostly..not literal spam but far from being helpful.

Last edited:

Fallen Spartan

Didn't know it was mentioned in a few threads as i wasn't looking for it specifically and only came to know about it last month from the feedback thread, forgive my ignorance. I agree there will be an influx of noobs who would be requesting for it but it can be made a 'for developers' only form? Anyway i'm not really pushing for it now.

I usually ask new users (not no0bs) to just create a thread in general section whatever their purpose might be, be it an issue with a rom or a development thread itself, which can be moved later and they will also get their 10 posts in the process.

I'm willing to bet that the vast majority's first 10 posts are not helpful ones...they just want to get it over with. But what i feel is that over the course of time they will be helpful (if they continue using xda) but no matter how many times you tell them to make 10 helpful posts initially, it won't happen. Because helping is not their intention, at that point of time they just want to get in. That is why i'm not a fan of the 10 post rule lately, prefer something better.

--edit--
+1 to what justmpm said. The 10 posts a new user makes are worthless mostly..not literal spam but far from being helpful.

As I previously mentioned, we are currently tweaking the 10 post rule (more news to follow). As for must users first ten posts not being helpful....this is where we rely on people like yourself to report such posts so moderators can review/delete as necessary

boborone

I know it cooled down in here, but I have to reiterate:

IT'S ONLY 10 POSTS.

CALM DOWN OR LEAVE.

This

Do we really need to come up with an alternative? Out of the 4k new members each day, only a handful voice dissent about it, and the same amount of people try to circumvent it. I remember when it was brought in, most of the consensus was to make it more. It stayed at 10 and hasn't been a major problem. It's built a mud dam in front of the dev area to keep people out who shouldn't be posting there. Maybe an alternative that would help leaps and bounds to keep the noobs from thinking that questions and general banter belong there is to keep it out with the existing members. If you go look in dev, that's what it mostly is, questions and general banter. Not much dev going on. Stop that and you will build another mud dam. I don't know of any concrete solutions to dam it up, but there are lots of little things you can do.

2k13i

Feb 21, 2013
Re: Galaxy S4 First Look?Google X phone?

why u all care about 10 posts lol at least u browse more and see more things in here. I just was looking for samsung galaxy s 3 apps,ROMs ect. But when u browse u see allot nice things so I really think its a good idea with 10 posts :) even 20 would be OK.

Sent from my GT-I9300 (UltimaRom 10.1) using xda app-developers app

lbt

Jan 20, 2009
Xiaomi Redmi 4X
I see you've been a member for about 4 months, but you've only posted 3 times. Have you ever come across a post where somebody has asked a question and you've thought "hey, I know the answer to that"?......well, next time, reply to that post. If you continue in this fashion you'll have 10 posts in under a day ;)

I wondered if this is a good alternative: Have either 10 posts or an account that is 2+ days old.

My account for example is pretty old now and I only have a few posts, but I still get those warnings when I try to edit my posts right after I submit them (for typos, etc.).

I do try to answer other people's questions on ROMs and phones I know well, but it's just not that I do it everyday.

G-Man.

Nov 15, 2010
Laramie, WY
As I previously mentioned, we are currently tweaking the 10 post rule (more news to follow). As for must users first ten posts not being helpful....this is where we rely on people like yourself to report such posts so moderators can review/delete as necessary

Bump for new info, or progress being made... been a while since anyone had heard anything..

Sent from my SGH-I747 using xda premium

Reactions: boborone

TingTingin

Aug 13, 2012
peru
I wondered if this is a good alternative: Have either 10 posts or an account that is 2+ days old.

My account for example is pretty old now and I only have a few posts, but I still get those warnings when I try to edit my posts right after I submit them (for typos, etc.).

I do try to answer other people's questions on ROMs and phones I know well, but it's just not that I do it everyday.

It's 10 measly posts I didn't even know if the 10 post rule when I started I got them so easily

PHONE SLOW CLICK ME?

protox 109

Oct 11, 2012
Sanpada - Navi Mumbai

Buddy it is 10 and ur post count is more, so u contact an admin to unblock u

Sent from my Karbonn A5 using xda premium

G-Man.

Nov 15, 2010
Laramie, WY
Should make it so you have to be a senior member to post in dev threads - unless you're a dev, in which case you can post in your own dev thread... this way people have time to learn how to use XDA properly... like searching and reading before posting, and posting in the correct threads...

Reactions: SimonTS

mnishamk

Jul 8, 2012
Should make it so you have to be a senior member to post in dev threads - unless you're a dev, in which case you can post in your own dev thread... this way people have time to learn how to use XDA properly... like searching and reading before posting, and posting in the correct threads...

So basically ur saying to make it 100 posts instead of ten???

Regards
- N

KidCarter93

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Huawei P Smart+ 2019
Redmi 7A

Making the limit higher won't work.
We'd either see people spamming even more OR it would turn people away from XDA.
I personally wouldn't mind if it did turn some people away but it's not what the higher ups are gonna want to happen.

Product F(RED)

Sep 6, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Most likely if you're having an issue with a ROM, someone else has already had the same issue. All it takes is the Search function in the thread. People under 10 posts can already view the Dev Sections. If you are a developer who happens to also be a new member, PM a staff member to have the limitation lifted.

I seriously cannot understand how or why people are complaining about 10 posts. It's like getting shot in front of a hospital and complaining that it's so far away. It's 10 motherflippin posts!

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2

Reactions: D™ and boborone
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Suggestions/Alternatives

*Change 10 post to x number of thanks - Pros : It would take longer for users to gain access to development forums. - Cons : Users will beg for thanks more and possibly spam thanks to help each other gain access.

*Complete a quiz during registration - Pros : Could possibly reduce the number of people allowed in development forums. - Cons : Too hard because different people have different levels of knowledge + couldn't be multiple choice because too easy to get around.

*Let OPs of dev threads delete posts - Pros : Cut down on the useless posts. - Cons : Won't happen because only mods/admins will have ability to delete posts. Devs could show favouritism + take too much of the devs time to delete posts.

*Review posts before they appear in development - Pros : If possible, no crap would appear in dev threads. - Cons : Not possible because of the massive workload on the manpower of the mods.

*Deny access to Off-topic until user has 10 posts - Pros : Stops a lot of people posting there to get to 10 posts. - Cons : Users will be more likely to spam in the device forums instead.

Alternative to 10 post rule :)

I'm creating this thread as a place to centralize all alternative ideas to the 10 post rule.

Obviously, a lot of different suggestions have been made over the time and we've been told that the admins won't change the rule unless a better solution can be proven to work.

So if you have any suggestions as to what could be used instead of needing 10 posts to post in development, then post your idea in here.

*If you're not sure why there is a limit to post in development, read the following thread - Postcount limit in developmental fora

*If you want to moan about the rule, don't post it anywhere on this site as we've heard it all before.

*Need to help someone in a development thread? Or give developer a logcat? Private Message them. It exists :eek:

*If you have less than 10 posts, don't post here UNLESS you are suggesting a different alternative.

*NOTE* As mods, senior mods and admins may be checking in here, don't use this thread to try and gain your first 10 posts because your comment will most likely be deleted.
    Ok folks, just to let you know, I have subscribed to this thread and will be looking with interest at any ideas posted. I will reply to the more serious suggestions and I will delete posts by those wishing to boost their post count

Ta

Rick

Why are you even asking what answer it was when you've already said that you're going through my post history? Find out for yourself. And stop going off topic!!!!! Stop spamming dude!!!

Nice, you just earned yourself an infraction.....please, carry on
    JJJAGUAR said:
    The truth is that this rule is frustrating. Many want to ask something urgently, and the post 10 post of spam (be realistic) does not prove that we know what we are talking about. It is especially annoying to those who do not speak English as their first language.:rolleyes:

This part of your statement is the problem with most new members.

"Many want to ask something urgently"

The development forums are NOT supposed to be used to "ask" things that is why we have questions and answers/help sub forums (that new members with less then 10 posts can post in)for just about every device.

New members have this idea that they will get a better/faster answer if they ask in the development section which just shows the sense of entitlement that most new members have when they join xda. Instead of taking the time to do some research and see if they can find the answer to their question since 9 times out of 10 it has already been asked and answered they want to jump right into the dev section to post their all important question that doesn't belong there in the first place.

Development is just for that development, members who can post logcats and help with bugs, not to ask questions.

Senior Moderator