Amazon Instant Video App?

Search This thread

lchiu7

Mar 2, 2010
Works okay on my GB HTC Sensation but not on my Xoom with ICS. And also doesn't work on my GB GoogleTV (Revue) either.

poretr

Mar 12, 2012
Same situation as you but I just got past that application not installed thing on AccountAndSyncSettings.apk. Sort of a round about way to do it but I've now got my Fire configured with TWRP where I can flip back and forth between stock and CM7 easily with all my root tools on both so I'm doing a LOT of trial and error lol.

In rooted stock, I used Titanium Backup to backup all 4 apks and send the backups to dropbox. I sort of stumbled across the fact that I saw these backups when booted under CM7. At first I tried restoring all 4 apks with Titanium but that got me a whole bunch of force closing when I did anything with Amazon Video. I figured ok why not just restore the one that won't install then install the other 3 legit? Did that and it lets me get past the Register Your Kindle screen and on the Amazon website when I drill down in my account and look at my devices, I see an additional Kindle there now.

Unfortunately when I try and play anything, even if I temp-unroot with OTA first, I get the "Your device isn't configured..." message. I am going to try and drop in the DRMProvider.apk from stock in the same way I got the AccountsAndSyncSettings and see if that changes anything... It seems like I'm most of the way there now but hitting some DRM issue.

Update 11:52am (who needs sleep?!)
Dropping in the DRMProvider didn't work - same result. I started poking around on the file system and came across /data/system/accounts.db and in looking at that file on stock vs on CM7, I see there are various keys for video on demand, reading, MP3 and the Amazon App Store. I'm now wondering if pulling some of the data from the stock accounts.db into the CM7 accounts.db wouldn't get this working. Just dropping the stock file over top of the CM7 file after getting the 4 APKs installed doesn't work. Results in either a lot of force closes or, best case, you can get into Amazon Video, see the first screen but trying to drill down or click on anything results in a message along the lines of can't open this web page, try again later.

I bought the SQL Lite editor off Marketplace to mess around with this and it works fine on stock...and force closes instantly on CM7. Doesn't mean I can't merge the account.db data, just means I have to do it on the PC or on stock which slows things down. Grrr.

Have you tried using the SuperSU app from ChainFire? I had good luck with that on my Charge....

admang

Feb 20, 2011
Works great on my Epic 4G Touch (Samsung Galaxy S2) with the OTA Rootkeeper app and on a wi-fi network. Quality is nice!

Menu button then tap on the Help softkey results in a FC.

Hoping someone can help find a hack that allows streaming over Sprint's 3G/4G network for my morning and evening train commute!

Thanks all!!

mxpxboi

Apr 7, 2006
Telford, PA
If you've opened on a rooted device, Run OTA rootkeeper and then clear the data and cache of Amazon VOD. Then relaunch. It worked for me. And I signed into the Amazon account through Accounts and Sync prior to launching as well. But the sign in to the account is the only thing that seems to require WiFi.

It completely crippled Amazon MP3 and Amazon App Store though. So I'll be uninstalling from my Galaxy S II and only using it my Kindle Fire.

Reactions: TheDoctor1177

spunker88

Sep 8, 2006
Upstate NY
So, I've been able to sign in. But now even though I've successfully logged in, I still can't watch Amazon Prime.

What method are you using to log in? Are you just tapping a video and logging in within the Amazon app. If that method isn't working try the other method I mentioned in the first post of installing the two additional apks. This will allow you to associate your Amazon account with the device in the same way you would associate a Google account for example.

Kiersten_Kress

Mar 18, 2012
It doesn't work on ICS, it seems to crash in the same spot. Until we get an officially released app or the Kindle Fire upgraded to ICS you are out of luck.

isn't kindle fire the only device that has the "official" Amazon video app?

or is Amazon planning to roll out one for all other tablets?(Anrdoid, iOS or otherwise)

spunker88

Sep 8, 2006
Upstate NY
Yes the Kindle Fire is where this APK was pulled from. I wonder how long until we see something official from Amazon as they have just released something for the PS3.

elcidroyale

Dec 5, 2011
I pulled it from my Kindle and uploaded it to my epic touch 4 g. It streams fine but once a movie starts I can't stop, pause, fast forward, etc. Those settings are on the screen as an overly in the Kindle Fire. It's obviously specific to the fire because that overlay won't come up there. I wonder if there is a workaound.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

lchiu7

Mar 2, 2010
That is what I experienced when I managed to get it running on a HTC Sensation running GB. But if you cancelled the video and restarted, it would resume.

When I upgraded the Sensation to ICS it all stopped working presumably because the Kindle app is not certified for ICS yet.

elcidroyale

Dec 5, 2011
I see that some people have this running on a NOOK and have the on screen controls to rewind, pause, ff etc. I wonder why we can't do that on ours??

barrmulio

Oct 5, 2010
It doesn't work on ICS, it seems to crash in the same spot. Until we get an officially released app or the Kindle Fire upgraded to ICS you are out of luck.

i'd be very surprised if they released a ics version, given their O/S doesn't have a ics base...becomes a perk of buying a kf vs the other android tablets...

i'm on cm9 on my kf and watch it using the stock browser (with flash installed) from the instant video website - and that works well - although navigation/quality isn't as great as the app

sharkoparko

Mar 8, 2011
Houston, TX USA
installed it on t-mo htc one s. I can see and browse videos. However, when I tap on the video icon I am getting " Unfortunately, Amazon video has stopped" option to click "OK".

not rooted HTC ONE S. I have tried over 4G and wifi. Same results.

I tried Dolphin browser and managed it to work but it is choppy. Can't use it like this.

Any current solutions?

Thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    here is the ATVAndroidClient.apk......havent tried it yet.
    Hey,

Just wanted to share what I did to get amazon video working on my htc evo view.. I was getting the "error linking device" message and played around a bit and finally got to link my amazon account so yay, now I can watch all the crap I already have in my prime account too:

1) I downloaded a complete kindle fire rom dump from here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1295928&page=3

2) Unpacked the zip and copied ALL of the apk's from the apps folder to the download folder on my htc view. I created a folder in downloads called fire just so I could keep all the crap in there. I had no idea what each file does but figured something must be missing why the amazon video app gives that error.

3) I installed the following apk's to get it going: AccountAndSyncSettings.apk, ATVAndroidClient.apk, com.amazon.dcp.apk, MyAccount-unsigned.apk and Windowshop.apk

I believe ATVAndroidclient.apk was missing services to properly link it to my amazon account. Once I installed those apks, I then saw amazon as an account option in System -> Accounts & Sync. In the amazon video app, when I try to buy something in order to login, I'm taken to the "register your kindle" screen instead of a plain login screen. This worked for me. I believe this is what all amazon apps refer to for account info.

I also installed Windowshop.apk because it looked neat. I didnt bother with all of the other apks because the kindle functionality is fine as is but I copied them over just in case I would need them. It may take a restart to get things fully going again but this worked for me without a restart on one of my htc view's, the other needed the restart.

Good luck!
    I'm wondering if this will have an app for Amazon Instant Video since it is one of the advertised features. If it does, would it be possible to port it to other Android devices? Right now the only way to watch Amazon Instant Video on an Android device is to spoof a desktop user agent and use flash player. While this method works, it would be a lot easier to have a native app, especially with flash player being discontinued.

APK (ATVAndroidCleint.apk) is Posted:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=19409230&postcount=10

Works on unrooted Gingerbread devices and force closes on Honeycomb/ICS when you try to go to a video's page. On rooted devices you'll need to install OTA Rootkeeper then force close and re-open the video app. You can also freeze/defrost it with Titanium Backup.

Option #1 to Log in to Your Amazon Account:
    Open the Amazon video app and find a video you want to watch. Tap the orange box to buy the video and log in with your Amazon account. Once logged in the prices in the orange boxes should adjust if you have Prime and you'll be able to watch videos. If you get an "Error Linking Device" proceed to option #2.

Option #2 to Log in to Your Amazon Account:
    From a Kindle Fire ROM dump obtain and install MyAccount-unsigned.apk and com.amazon.dcp.apk. The files in this post should work even though its not a complete ROM dump. Now you can associate your Amazon account with your device just like you would a Google, etc account. From Settings, Accounts you should be able to add an Amazon account. Now go back into the Amazon video app and you should already be logged in and able to watch videos.

If you still get a "Your device is no longer configured correctly to play Amazon videos" error try restarting your device after you temp unroot with OTA Rootkeeper. Some devices, usually running CM roms have had issues with the error even after temp unrooting.
    here is the ATVAndroidClient.apk......havent tried it yet.

Sweet, and it works on the Droid 3.

What I did was tapped on an orange $1.99 button to buy an episode of a show. This brought up the Amazon login window and I logged into my Amazon account. Now that I'm logged in, it knows I have Prime Instant Videos for free so it lets me view everything.

There are some messed up parts of the GUI due to it only supporting the Kindle's resolution. I also noticed that once the on screen controls disappear during a video there is no way to get them back. I have to press the back button on my phone to exit back to the app, but luckily the app keeps your place, allowing you to resume.

Overall it is good enough to be usable, I watched a few minutes of Top Gear and Lost on it just fine. Both the Droid 3, Bionic, Razr, etc and the Kindle Fire have TI OMAP 4430, not sure if this has to do with anything.

EDIT:
    Doesn't appear to work over 3G. You can browse videos but get the error "Playback over cellular network is currently disabled"
    The error seems to indicate that the version of the database is too new. Has 9, wants 1. It looks like this is a database that gets created when you launch the app the first time. I think if we got a copy of the avod database file at the path in the error from a Kindle, then it may work. As long as our devices don't upgrade the database as soon as we launch. I wouldn't expect it to since that would be bad form on the OS's part. If someone can supply this, be sure to log out first as your login may be stored in that database. Alternatively if someone can hack the APK to ignore the database version, that may work.

I tried a Titanium Backup file with data from a working installation with GB on my Droid 3. I imported it to my Touchpad running CM9 and it still gave the same FC error. The database file that the crash report references looks exactly the same on both devices when I browsed to it in root explorer.