[KERNEL] [GSM/LTE/CDMA] [4.0.4] CMPlus for Tuna [11 JUN]

Search This thread

ArmanUV

Jan 26, 2012
That's the reason for SOD, then. Recommend Hotplug OFF and let MPUSS handle CPU1 suspend.

ok I disabled hotplug (in fact I'm using the default script now).
This morning, my alarm app went off and I snoozed it (as usual :p). 10 minutes later I woke up to a freezed phone and extremely high tempreture. It wasn't too hot to touch but damn it was close. I panicked and removed the battery instantly.
Hopefully there is a way to debug this (wherever the problem is, I'm using CM9 nightlies).

ch33kybutt

Retired Recognized Developer
Oct 25, 2008
This morning, my alarm app went off and I snoozed it (as usual :p). 10 minutes later I woke up to a freezed phone and extremely high tempreture. It wasn't too hot to touch but damn it was close. I panicked and removed the battery instantly.
Hopefully there is a way to debug this (wherever the problem is, I'm using CM9 nightlies).
There is. Post /proc/last_kmsg

ch33kybutt

Oct 25, 2008
I meant besides last_kmsg. It wasn't generated (in fact, I've never seen a last_kmsg when my phone freezes, only when it reboots)
Maybe you could provide more details, such as ROM, cpufreq governor, min & max freqs, hotplug on\off, then I could try to replicate the scenario.

ch33kybutt

Oct 25, 2008
Had a strange, idk what to call it on the new kernel this morning (forced me back to Franco for now). I went to bed, phone at 99%, woke up and it was on with a dark grey screen with the led light staying on white. Couldn't do anything but a battery pull and when I rebooted it was at 62%

I was having that issue too, and since I set SCREENSTATE=0 it didn't happen any more.

+1 here. will set SCREENSTATE=0

Found out the most likely reason for the above reported cases is a bug in the cmplus script for Screenstate mode, which inadvertently allocated 100% of CPU bandwidth to real-time tasks when screen-off. So what most likely happened is that a run-away real-time task managed to lock up your devices and consume all CPU bandwidth. Totally doofus move on my part, so sincerest apologies. But now that I've found it, it will be fixed in next build. Not only that, but finding that bug helped me to better tweak and allocate CPU bandwidth in Screenstate mode, and I must say that UI is really responsive with the new CPU scheduler tweaks.

metroidnemesis13

Feb 1, 2010
Yesterday I had to call 911.

Every time the call connected, the phone hung up. Tried 3 times. Luckily they were able to trace the call to my location.

Is this more likely to be an issue with this particular rom, or CM9 base, or ??

Kind of serious, no?

This may be considered a double post, but I can report also that I have had problems with 911.

I was robbed yesterday (my other galaxy nexus was stolen) as well as a Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket. I tried calling 911 but my phone would not dial out to emergency services. It said "Call Failed" with no ring and 55 seconds on the call time. I tried this about nine times before I went into a target and used their phone. My phone calls everyone else fine. I just tried again and it still does this. I was never able to get through.

My Gnex is running May 8th's nightly. Luckily I was not bleeding out or anything, but this might need to be fixed. Still love the ROM and all the developers who work on it.

Here is the original post

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=26173884

Last edited:

ch33kybutt

Oct 25, 2008
This may be considered a double post, but I can report also that I have had problems with 911.

I was robbed yesterday (my other galaxy nexus was stolen) as well as a Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket. I tried calling 911 but my phone would not dial out to emergency services. It said "Call Failed" with no ring and 55 seconds on the call time. I tried this about nine times before I went into a target and used their phone. My phone calls everyone else fine. I just tried again and it still does this. I was never able to get through.

My Gnex is running May 8th's nightly. Luckily I was not bleeding out or anything, but this might need to be fixed. Still love the ROM and all the developers who work on it.

Here is the original post

http://www.xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1398495&page=396
Bad luck, dude. Glad you're okay. The thing is, android kernel has nothing to do with emergency calling. What ROM and Baseband were you using?

metroidnemesis13

Feb 1, 2010
It probably doesn't. I was just adding onto that guy's experience that it didn't work.

Baseband: I9250XXKK6
Cyanogenmod Version:
9-20120508-NIGHTLY-maguro

nklenchik

Oct 24, 2010
Binghamton, NY
Superb battery life today. I unplugged at 7:45am and now it's 9:51pm with 40% battery left. This is texting all day, some web browsing, and 2 hours at the gym. Awesome!

Reactions: ch33kybutt

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Requires:
    1) a rooted GNex
    2) a custom recovery
    3) someone who knows what 1) and 2) mean.

( ... provided as-is ... use at your own risk ... won't be held responsible ... blah blah blah ... etcetera, etcetera ... )

I'm not really focused on getting the best benchmark results, as they mainly focus on raw throughput for CPU, GPU and memory, which anyone can easily top with some questionable hacks and a freezer. Not really real-world testing, imho. No benchmark app that I know of can effectively provide test results for latencies and responsiveness (but if anyone knows any benchmark which can measure that, please let me know). Reducing latency and improving responsiveness for the best possible user experience is, and will always be, my main aim for this kernel, whilst also trying not to wreak too much havoc on battery life.

CMPlus kernel is based on stock CM9 kernel with additional features that I think are useful. Initially built it for CM9, but also tested in other ROMs such as AOKP, ARHD, BAMF, BlackICE, CNA, Gummy, Liquid, etc. This kernel is mainly for my personal use, but anyone is free to download and use. Note that I am not obliged to accede to any/all requests, so apologies in advance for not answering all questions and requests, as I really, really don't have the time for thread management and really, really dislike the hassle of answering questions that have been answered countless times before.

This kernel has all existing features of stock CM9 Kernel (384MHz GPU, TUN, KSM, CIFS, NFS). All I've done are minor changes, so 99.999% of the credit deservingly goes to KalimochoAz, teamhacksung, CM team and of course, Google. And more so the devs listed below ...

Current version:
    - Additional 200, 528, 1072, 1420 & 1500 MHz MPU frequency steps
    - Disabled unnecessary debug options
    - Enabled relevant ARM errata
    - Optimized RWSEM & CRC32 algorithms (Ezekeel)
    - SLQB memory allocator
    - SIO I/O scheduler
    - Optimized conservative, interactive & ondemand cpufreq governors (interactive as default)
    - Alternative governors: Lazy & Wheatley (Ezekeel), Smartass2 (Erasmux) & Lulzactive (Tegrak)
    - Removed powersave and userspace cpufreq governors
    - Westwood+ as default TCP advanced congestion control
    - Userspace voltage control (Michael Huang)
    - Undervolted nominal VDD_MPU, VDD_IVA & VDD_CORE by 50mV
    - Reduced regulator voltages to VAUX3 and VUSIM for reduced screen-on battery consumption
    - Less conservative temperature throttling thresholds
    - Fast charge patch (Chad Froebel)
    - BLX: Battery Life eXtender, Sound Control, Touchwake, Vibration Control, Fsync Control (Ezekeel)
    - User control of WiFi PM mode on sleep (PM_MAX default)
    - Gamma Preset to control contrast levels
    - Customizable startup script for controlling SmartReflex, Sound Control, BLX, Touchwake, Vibration, WiFi PM, Fsync, Gamma Preset and Color Control settings
    - Screenstate modes to control settings for CPU Scheduler, Virtual Memory & Music Mode
    - Other relevant patches from Omapzoom, Codeaurora & Android/kernel-common
    - Compiled using a self-built Linaro 4.7.1 toolchain optimized for Tuna

- Applicable for both Maguro & Toro variants of Tuna (all sound kinda fishy to me)
    - Koush's anykernel format, so does not modify existing ramdisk.
    - Install in custom recovery

For real issues, please provide the following:
    - ROM name and version
    - Copy-n-paste dmesg & last_kmsg output to http://pastebin.com/ and provide URL
    Code:
    1. Start terminal emulator session
    2. > su
    3. # dmesg > /sdcard/dmesg.txt
    For reboot/freeze problem, replace Step 3 above with
    3. # cat /proc/last_kmsg > /sdcard/last_kmsg.txt
    4. Paste contents of resultant txt files to pastebin.com
    5. Post pastebin URLs here in this thread for diagnosis
    - What you were doing with your phone at the time ;)

In other words, help me to help you. Clairvoyancy and telepathy are a couple of skills that I don't possess ... yet ;P

I do this for masochistic tendencies fun, so won't accept donations. But if you feel the inescapable urge to part with your ill-gotten gains hard-earned savings, then why not donate to where it actually matters.
    3.0.34-CMPlus-Tuna-120611
    Changelog
    * Updated to Linux 3.0.34
    * Compiled using latest Linaro GCC-4.7.1 compiler customized for Tuna
    3.0.32-CMPlus-Tuna-120524
    Changelog
    * Updated to Linux 3.0.32
    * Reverted to TREE_PREEMPT_RCU from JRCU
    * Disabled SCHED_AUTOGROUP as it had no visible performance boost
    * Updated cmplus script
    ---- Removed modification of vm.drop_caches in Screenstate as it caused instability
    ---- Back to using my own personal preferences as default settings :p
    3.0.32-CMPlus-Tuna-120531
    Changelog
    * Reverted Wifi voltage back to stock 2.0V
    * Tweaked and re-enabled Lulzactive cpufreqgovernor
    * Added fix for I2C crash by Imoseyon
    * Changed to Vibrator Control by Ezekeel (removed Morfic's)
    * Enabled CONFIG_AIO with extra patch to reduce I/O latency
    * Re-disabled ARCH_POWER in sched_features.h (no improvement)
    * Misc updates from Omapzoom and Codeaurora
    * Updated cmplus script
    ---- Removed Hotplug from Screenstate mode as it caused instability
    3.0.31-CMPlus-Tuna-120511
    Changelog
    * Enabled ARM sched_mc & sched_smt (multi-core & multi-threading) support
    * Added simple workaround to CM9's run-parts "no-forking" problem
    ---- Screenstate mode (Screen-ON = performance, Screen-OFF = economy) now enabled by default
    * Misc patches from android/kernel-common

Thanks to a simple sysinit workaround, users of CM9-based ROMs (CM9, Skankwich, ParanoidAndroid) can now enable Screenstate mode, and also Music mode & Hotplug. Also enabled support for sched_mc & sched_smt which is supposed to improve CPU scheduler's decision making when dealing with multi-core chips and multi-threading.