MK809 II

Search This thread
Root MK809 (II)

everything related 2 the MK809 II

Be gentle people it's my first post

all the credits go to:

bothlynn from vondroid com

I don't accept any responsibility for loss of warranty, brain cells, hair or your TV stick as a result of following this guide. All I can say is it worked for me on my Jelly Bean version of the MK809 (II)

So here it is for the community, a step-by-step to root this device.

1/ If not already done install Android SDK and make sure it runs. Put the platform-tools directory in your system PATH variable.

download the attachments for the drivers and TS Sparky root hack

3 / Add lines to <Your Android SDK>\extras\google\usb_driver\android_winusb.inf

Under the [Google.NTx86] and [Google.NTamd64] section:

Code:

; WINDOW/YUANDAO MK809
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_2207&PID_0010
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_2207&PID_0010&MI_01

4/ Connect your MK809 DC port to a high power USB port on your PC or Laptop

on the mk809II its the small microusb port on the left side of the stick
do not connect any other power-source or device to the stick ( with exception of a mouse to control the device).
example:

I found that the supplied micro USB cable caused a bootloop and I changed
to the decent HTC data cable that came with my phone

5/ Once the MK809 is powered up turn on USB Debugging under Developer Settings and allow installations from unknown locations.

In my case. I needed to reset my stick to factory default settings before it enabled USB debugging.

6 / Start the Installation of the PDA.net drivers. When prompted to plug and un-plug your device use the "Connect to PC" option under Settings->USB on your MK809.

After the driver installation is complete you can do a quick test that all is OK so far
by opening a command prompt on your PC and typing "adb shell" and hitting enter.

If all is well you should get a remote adb shell to your MK809II.

If it's not working at this point could be that step 4 above is wrong.

The original TPSparkyRoot.bat file had a bug. I already corrected this by adding a line: in the bat file:

under line "echo --- Installing SuperSU"
adb push SuperSU.apk /system/app/SuperSU.apk

If you did the test at Step 6 make sure that adb shell is exited before proceeding
Also you might want to disconnect and reconnect your MK809 either physically or via Settings->USB
on your MK809 just to make sure of a clean connection before the point of no return

9/ Run the batch file TPSparkyRoot.bat from the shell you opened at Step 8. Note that after each reboot and before you hit space to continue you will need to reconnect your MK809 to the host PC via Settings->USB.
Before entering the spacebar to proceed with the hack

You should now be rooted. It's worth running superSU on your MK809 to update the su binary and superSU itself. Then you're done.

Attachments

• TPSarky-VonDroid-Root.7z
    1.6 MB · Views: 4,699
  • 32-BIT-ONLY-ADBdriver.7z
    2.7 MB · Views: 2,876
  • 64-BIT-ONLY-ADBdriver.7z
    3.2 MB · Views: 4,110

TommeleTBone

Feb 3, 2012
I got mine mk809II today.

But it does not yet boot. Silly question, I connect it with HDMI to my TV hook AC via microusb, and than it boots up?!
I do have no keyboard yet.

Sent from my IdeaPad A1 using xda premium

Free4ert

Nov 17, 2007
Does this method work for RK66 Android Mini PC? (Summarizes the characteristics: Rockchip RK3066, ARM Cortex-A9 dual core, 1.2GHZ; GPU: Mali-400 MP4 quad core)
It is similar to MK802iii
And in what could be a danger to erroneous operation?

TommeleTBone

Feb 3, 2012
Update: seems that my tv does not do the 1080p 60hz, my other screen does ;))
Works.

I will go for root soon and tell ya.

I got mine mk809II today.

But it does not yet boot. Silly question, I connect it with HDMI to my TV hook AC via microusb, and than it boots up?!
I do have no keyboard yet.

just stick a usb mouse into the stick.

you can use the onscreen keyboard for the rest. In my case I connected a usb mouse, a usb keyboard and a Web Cam on it. Al of the perifials work.

bili.pl

Dec 19, 2011
Does it render 1080p image directly (with stock firmware) or upscales from lower resolution?

Does it render 1080p image directly (with stock firmware) or upscales from lower resolution?

the player that came with the rom does play full hd content without problems. But it. Only supports upnp dlna. no streaming over smb.

tried several media players. Only bs player played some Codecs in HW mode. strangely enough mp4 YouTube hd content only in SW mode

my hopes are on xbmc.

Also the stick doesn't, pass trough ac3 DD 5.1 or DTS. The home receiver only recognizes everything as 2 channel pcm.
maybe a future version of dice player. bsplayer or xbmc.

TommeleTBone

Feb 3, 2012
WiFi throughput is not faster as 600kb/s ;/.

Tried several wifi channels 13,12,11...

Sent from my GT-I9000 using xda premium

J_B204

Jun 15, 2010
Got my mk809 not the II and very happy. For all newcomers it needs to be very close to your router as WiFi performance isn't great.

Installed xbmc with tv catchup, bbc iPlayer, 4od and 5od together with itv player plug ins, also stream movies from my server (just a win7 netbook) and it works fine.

2 things I want it to do:

Go into standby - don't want it to stay on but don't want to keep unplugging it

Within xbmc set a timer to turn off tv catchup - there is a timer in xbmc but it only works when idle (ie not when streaming tv)

All in all, very happy.

Sent from my LT15i using xda app-developers app

RoosterX

Apr 13, 2010
Borås
SO no matter what i do 'adb shell' just tells me device not found, allthough i can see it under device manager, any clues? Why do we need PDA net, the program installs itself on the MK809II, but i haven't startet it or anything on the phone, windows client(server?) of PDA net tells me HTC error, or something like it, is this normal?

Oh and one more thing, i have installed the latest version of FW from mk809 homepage, if i remember correctly it is dated 15/12 2012.

Within the first 20 minutes that i had this MK809II stick it crashed on me, i then took the FW above and flashed it through recovery, now after searching a bit i found links to older FW, and also a FW that is claimed to be a specific recovery FW, rk3066_T002_Launcher2_public_20121119, maybe i should flash that one first, and then maybe upgrade to latest or the one named rk3066_mk809_Launcher2_public_TFupgrade_20121121.zip?

mk809.jpg

Last edited:

TommeleTBone

Feb 3, 2012
Same issue here, 'device not found' while adb shell, btw, connection is established, I can also access the external sd aswell as the internal flash from the PC.

I have also latest FW.

Hmmmmm...

Last edited:

crashka

Nov 8, 2010
Same issue here, 'device not found' while adb shell, btw, connection is established, I can also access the external sd aswell as the internal flash from the PC.

I have also latest FW.

Hmmmmm...

Hi!

Have you tried with other USB cable? According the 2nd comment the supplied cable is not good enough. Is the USB debugging mode enabled?

RoosterX

Apr 13, 2010
Borås
Hi!

Have you tried with other USB cable? According the 2nd comment the supplied cable is not good enough. Is the USB debugging mode enabled?

Yes i've tried 3 different cables, one is my original Samsung cable, and usb debug is enabled, how do i know if Android SDK is really using the updated .inf file? Do anyone actually have and older official recovery image, it is impossible to download the whole package from official site, download just die on my after just a few Kb. :(

Could the problem be that i am running 64bit version of windows?

[Edit] Since i ran Recovery update on my device, i installed the official Rockbus driver, could this maybe fxxx it up? I will try to install windows x86 on my MBP, see if that works better.

[Edit2] Ok tried win 7 x86 on my mac, same symptoms, only thing to try is to get an recovery firmware and flash it first.

[EDIT3] So anyone have the old fw lying around?

Last edited:

TommeleTBone

Feb 3, 2012
I do have same thoughts, how do we know that the modified .inf is been used?!
I also tried several cables, debug and unkown sources are enabled. Also the pda.net soft gets installed on the stick.

Btw: i tried it from win7 32bit.
I used the sdk from developer.android.com/sdk, downloaded 4.1 aditions through sdk manager

Last edited:
Just a little edit on the post. Had the same issues with the adb shell. Device not found. My first opinion was a conflict with a former driver on my desktop. I also disabled the pdanet app in the right notification bar in Windows .

On the stick I enabled android debugging. Right after that connect to usb.
The adb shell gave te same error. But the batch file for the TS sparky hack did work. It Right away rebooted the stick.
After that I just needed to enable the connect to usb option on the stick before proceeding with the batch file.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

RoosterX

Apr 13, 2010
Borås
Just a little edit on the post. Had the same issues with the adb shell. Device not found. My first opinion was a conflict with a former driver on my desktop. I also disabled the pdanet app in the right notification bar in Windows .

On the stick I enabled android debugging. Right after that connect to usb.
The adb shell gave te same error. But the batch file for the TS sparky hack did work. It Right away rebooted the stick.
After that I just needed to enable the connect to usb option on the stick before proceeding with the batch file.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda app-developers app

Seems like you are right, it seems like i have root now.

Thank you :)

[edit] Just confirmed that Droidmote works, so root is working.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Root MK809 (II)

Be gentle people it's my first post

all the credits go to:

bothlynn from vondroid com

I don't accept any responsibility for loss of warranty, brain cells, hair or your TV stick as a result of following this guide. All I can say is it worked for me on my Jelly Bean version of the MK809 (II)

So here it is for the community, a step-by-step to root this device.

1/ If not already done install Android SDK and make sure it runs. Put the platform-tools directory in your system PATH variable.

download the attachments for the drivers and TS Sparky root hack

3 / Add lines to <Your Android SDK>\extras\google\usb_driver\android_winusb.inf

Under the [Google.NTx86] and [Google.NTamd64] section:

Code:

; WINDOW/YUANDAO MK809
    %SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_2207&PID_0010
    %CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_2207&PID_0010&MI_01

4/ Connect your MK809 DC port to a high power USB port on your PC or Laptop

on the mk809II its the small microusb port on the left side of the stick
    do not connect any other power-source or device to the stick ( with exception of a mouse to control the device).
    example:

I found that the supplied micro USB cable caused a bootloop and I changed
    to the decent HTC data cable that came with my phone

5/ Once the MK809 is powered up turn on USB Debugging under Developer Settings and allow installations from unknown locations.

In my case. I needed to reset my stick to factory default settings before it enabled USB debugging.

6 / Start the Installation of the PDA.net drivers. When prompted to plug and un-plug your device use the "Connect to PC" option under Settings->USB on your MK809.

After the driver installation is complete you can do a quick test that all is OK so far
    by opening a command prompt on your PC and typing "adb shell" and hitting enter.

If it's not working at this point could be that step 4 above is wrong.

The original TPSparkyRoot.bat file had a bug. I already corrected this by adding a line: in the bat file:

under line "echo --- Installing SuperSU"
    adb push SuperSU.apk /system/app/SuperSU.apk

If you did the test at Step 6 make sure that adb shell is exited before proceeding
    Also you might want to disconnect and reconnect your MK809 either physically or via Settings->USB
    on your MK809 just to make sure of a clean connection before the point of no return

9/ Run the batch file TPSparkyRoot.bat from the shell you opened at Step 8. Note that after each reboot and before you hit space to continue you will need to reconnect your MK809 to the host PC via Settings->USB.
    Before entering the spacebar to proceed with the hack

You should now be rooted. It's worth running superSU on your MK809 to update the su binary and superSU itself. Then you're done.
    Video Guide on Flashing ROM to MK809II

Hey all,

I followed a couple of guides/gathered resources and managed to flash my MK809II with the iMito firmware. I made a video tutorial on how to flash your device as I thought it could help new users such as myself. I hope it's useful:

[FOR ALL HAVING 'adb device' ISSUES] - need older adb

An important note to all those who, like me, have the Android SDK installed and adb in their path (or decide to use that adb and not the one in the TPSparky package attached by the OP).

In short, it won't work. Use the one in the package. =)

The OP states:

"

"

...and you will, providing that you're using that adb...which is version 1.0.26.

I tried using 1.0.31 (which is in the SDK from Dec.2012/Jan 2013) and it doesn't see anything.
    Interestingly enough, 1.0.26 reports the device id as:
    0123456789ABCDEF

...which I'm pretty sure is not valid (i'm not an expert on Google's device UIDs but a safe guess is that they are supposed to be *unique* hehe.)

Anyways, i don't have the time resources to investigate why this is (and since there are a few clones of MK809II devices out there, YMMV). I am guessing it's probably related to the non-unique "UID", and that the mk809 vendor of these particular devices is playing loose with the ADB protocol standard; something that google likely patched somewhere from 1.0.26->1.0.31.

The short of it is that root DOES work as described by the OP as long as you use ADB version 1.0.26 on your host computer.
    Very likely it'll work for SDK work too (debugging, deploying apps, etc)

~L.N.~

p.s. My device also had a very finnicky power appetite. I needed to use an external ACDC power brick->USB (use a 2.1Amp "ipad approved" one to be sure). *One thing to note though*: whenever you do this AND your computer is NOT a laptop AND/OR is NOT running on batteries, be careful that the ACDC charger and the computer are plugged into the **same** wall outlet! (or, if you're using a UPS, plug either both the computer and ACDC chrg. to the wall, or to the UPS, but not 1 to the wall and the other to the UPS). A ground differential can make weird things happen, and in very rare but severe cases where the diff is high, can destroy the mk stick, the computer's USB port, or both.
    just FYI + word of friendly caution
    MK809 results with finless 1.5 (not MK809II)

Works flawless!

Now i do have finless rom and cwmrecovery.

Bye stockrom ;)

Tried the Finless 1.5 Imito ROM on my MK809 (not MK809II). Booted fine but no wifi even after several reboots. Must be a different wifi module? Back to stock without issue.

Definitely benefits to having gone through this though:

Reformatted system partition to 1GB (MK809 only has 4GB in total, not 8 like MK809II). Selected this in the finless utility. Be careful, changing the parameter file during flash formats your internal SD too.
    Seem to have the benefits of the finless 1080p kernel surviving revert to stock: changing output mode actually does something now, as does display scaling. Still getting 1080p resolution, definitely not before.
    Wondering if the xbox controller elements have survived, yet to test this.

Hope this helps anyone thinking of flashing finless on an MK809.