[Completed] Samsung GT I9305 U.S.A. Modem - Does It Exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Robbbbert

Jun 23, 2014
GT I9305 data speed in U.S.A. T-Mobile is 0.12 Mbps (It crawls).
In Northern Europe recently, using a data only Sim on T-Mobile, it worked at 3.00 Mbps, not really fast, but usable.
Wi Fi speed at home is 15 Mbps.
Everything else runs great.
No amount of tinkering with settings and APNs changes anything.

Changed firmware using Odin from 4.1.2 to 4.3 twice, I9305XXUEMKC and now I9305XXUEML5.
Root or no Root makes no difference.
These firmwares I beleive do not change the modem which does not seem to adjust to U.S. standard.
Can this phone run at 3g or 4g in U.S?

Is there a modem that can load in Odin, which I know how to use, that will give desired result?
If so, what and where is it?
If not Odin loadable, kindly use plain step by step English.

If no U.S. modem exists, will trying other European modems make any difference and/or brick the phone?

Thanks for any help or direction.

Last edited by a moderator:

prboy1969

May 7, 2009
Michigan
The first thing I would highly suggest is, DO NOT TO FLASH A MODEM THAT IS NOT FOR YOUR DEVICE. That is a very good way to end up with an expensive paperweight. Have you tried updating PRL / Profile ? Have you contacted your carrier to have them reset your Data on their end ? There is a thread HERE with Modems for your device. You may also want to ask about data speeds HERE.

Robbbbert

Jun 23, 2014
The first thing I would highly suggest is, DO NOT TO FLASH A MODEM THAT IS NOT FOR YOUR DEVICE. That is a very good way to end up with an expensive paperweight. Have you tried updating PRL / Profile ? Have you contacted your carrier to have them reset your Data on their end ? There is a thread HERE with Modems for your device. You may also want to ask about data speeds HERE.

Thank you for your help.
T-Mobile, the carrier, did tell me once they would make some kind of adjustment at their end, but no difference.
What exactly is a profile and how is it tuned for this situation?
Will look at the other two threads.

prboy1969

May 7, 2009
Michigan
I'm not sure about the GT I9305, but it should be the same. Look in Menu - Settings - More - System Update. You should see Update PRL / Update Profile. I would also say to check out THIS post. Plus the thread HERE has some good general information.
But as I stated before, I would call the carrier first. Have them reset your Data on their end.

Robbbbert

Jun 23, 2014
I'm not sure about the GT I9305, but it should be the same. Look in Menu - Settings - More - System Update. You should see Update PRL / Update Profile. I would also say to check out THIS post. Plus the thread HERE has some good general information.
But as I stated before, I would call the carrier first. Have them reset your Data on their end.

Will begin by contacting T-Mobile and asking for Data reset.
Update PRL/PROFILE not found.

You opened a number of other doors. It will take awhile to thoroughly check them one by one.
Will post final outcome here.
Thanks again.

Last edited:

prboy1969

May 7, 2009
Michigan
Just a bit more info. A fellow member of the Assist Team has pointed something out to me regarding your issue. It was mentioned, that it is very important on T-Mobile to make sure that your APN is set to " FAST " . Otherwise your data will be slow, or none at all. A quick search came up with THIS THREAD. Also be sure to write down your current APN settings where you can recall them. Or better yet take a couple of screenshots of your current APN's , and save them to the PC / Laptop. Or anywhere other than the device, as a CYA measure. Remember always read, read, read, and re-read all information before proceeding.

Robbbbert

Jun 23, 2014
Just a bit more info. A fellow member of the Assist Team has pointed something out to me regarding your issue. It was mentioned, that it is very important on T-Mobile to make sure that your APN is set to " FAST " . Otherwise your data will be slow, or none at all. A quick search came up with THIS THREAD. Also be sure to write down your current APN settings where you can recall them. Or better yet take a couple of screenshots of your current APN's , and save them to the PC / Laptop. Or anywhere other than the device, as a CYA measure. Remember always read, read, read, and re-read all information before proceeding.
Did the following today:

Contacted T- Mobile and requested a Reset from their end AND inquire if a U.S. specific Modem file exists for the I9305.

Downloaded from two of the sites you referred me to, some 20 Modem files.
Using Odin, installed five of them.
They all worked about the same with no real difference or improvement.
Restored the Modem file that came the OS firmware.

Checked the APN site you mentioned and tried all sorts of various combinations including adding a dash to tmobile and using FAST.
Nothing made a difference.
Am now back on APN default setting, the phone will remain on for three days that T-Mobile said it needs to do its configuring.

It seems to me that the modems for this phone are all based on non U.S. standards and even if a U.S. modem exists or can be built and used, it might not make a difference if the issue is hardware based, which is something that cannot be readily changed, if at all.

What is hard to fathom is that the phone indeed, does work in 2G, but so unbelievably slowly, have to suppose, some other factor, that we have not addressed, is causing a bottleneck. Why would Samsung make a phone and T-Mobile
offer a network that they knew would only operate at a 2G speed of 0.12 mbps? That makes no sense.

Will await the Reset outcome, also anticipate an upcoming Android firmware update to 4.4 and will keep looking for an answer.
If all else fails, will then consider another carrier or another phone, but not giving up yet.

Your continued interest is really appreciated!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.