[KERNEL][UV][CWM] Entropy's Daily Driver-GB, 03/07/2012 (Small Fixes))

Search This thread
R

Red5

15296007.jpg

JmPTaz09

Mar 2, 2011
Schaumburg
Using 2/26, reduced sampling rate of conservative to 25k, noop, running great, snappy and good battery performance, deep sleeping nicely. Oh, also undervolted by about 75-100. 4.5 hours on, 48 mins screen on and some music, at 86%. Seems good so far.

Edit: no wake-up lag, just the normal second or so.
Sent from my SGH-I777 using XDA App

Last edited:
R

Red5

OK, I went from 2/15-C to 2/18-A, 2/18-B and then back to 2/26. 2/18-A and 2/18-B runs just fine on my phone. Its when I get to 2/26 is when my phone starts to act like an 80 year old man. Defiantly something in the 2/26 release that does not play well with my phone. Im back on 2/15-C though because it seems to be more snappy.

Again, this may just be a 1 person deal because several others have said they liked it, so at least I know for me that my phone dosent like 2/26. Ill just sit back and wait until the next release comes out and see if anyone else has any issues with 2/26.

desiromeo719

Oct 12, 2011
NJ
Using 2/26, reduced sampling rate of conservative to 25k, noop, running great, snappy and good battery performance, deep sleeping nicely. Oh, also undervolted by about 75-100. 4.5 hours on, 48 mins screen on and some music, at 86%. Seems good so far.

Edit: no wake-up lag, just the normal second or so.
Sent from my SGH-I777 using XDA App

Can you explain what reducing the sampling rate of conservative to 25k does?

Alucardis666

Jul 27, 2009
Miramar
With the config in my Sig I'm pulling 10hrs and I'm down to 78% with 1hr screen on. This is also on stock battery. nothing beats Entropy's Kernel and UnNamed.

EVIIIL

Nov 23, 2011
I dont know how you do it but the 2/26 seems to be working very well for me. Usually at this time of day I am in the low 60% range with your previous kernel, and so far I am at 75% with the 2/26. I am running the ICScrewD 2.0.1 Rom with stock settings with 8 hours from unplugged.

jneilliii

Oct 29, 2007
Decreased Overall Volume

Just wanted to check in with everyone, after upgrading my UnNamed 2.2.1 ROM to Entropy's Daily Driver 2/26/12 kernel I've had a dramastic decrease in overall sound volume across the board. The previous version of the kernel I installed was 2/7/12 and didn't seem to have the issue. I've verified that all volume levels are set to max and I can barely hear my notification tones at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
OK, I went from 2/15-C to 2/18-A, 2/18-B and then back to 2/26. 2/18-A and 2/18-B runs just fine on my phone. Its when I get to 2/26 is when my phone starts to act like an 80 year old man. Defiantly something in the 2/26 release that does not play well with my phone. Im back on 2/15-C though because it seems to be more snappy.

Again, this may just be a 1 person deal because several others have said they liked it, so at least I know for me that my phone dosent like 2/26. Ill just sit back and wait until the next release comes out and see if anyone else has any issues with 2/26.
Well, the patch in 2/26 is memory management related, so something may be "interesting" with memory on your phone. Do you have anything in init.d, especially lowmemkiller tweaks?

The problem with this is that the patch in question solves crashes for another user (Nizda1)...

Just wanted to check in with everyone, after upgrading my UnNamed 2.2.1 ROM to Entropy's Daily Driver 2/26/12 kernel I've had a dramastic decrease in overall sound volume across the board. The previous version of the kernel I installed was 2/7/12 and didn't seem to have the issue. I've verified that all volume levels are set to max and I can barely hear my notification tones at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Doesn't make sense - I haven't touched the sound driver at all. Slowly roll back one release at a time to see where the problem begins.

Reactions: Simba501
R

Red5

Well, the patch in 2/26 is memory management related, so something may be "interesting" with memory on your phone. Do you have anything in init.d, especially lowmemkiller tweaks?

The problem with this is that the patch in question solves crashes for another user (Nizda1)...

Nope, I dont have anything in unit.d or any special tweaks... just running unnamed and your kernel.

On another note, 2/15-C has been absolutely incredible for both responsiveness and battery... I've never had battery life (both idle and in use with calls/texts/tapatalk). Absolutely awesome speed fluidity and battery, I'm completely happy with 2/15-C.

jazzboyrules

Oct 19, 2011
Hi Entropy,

These are the logs I got after I kept my phone running on battery for about an hour at home.
logcat, dmesg log (after setting debug_mask = 35 ): http://db.tt/zZVL7NNn
BBS log: http://db.tt/8HJk20yv
About 28k wakelocks in an hour!
I looked for wake_lock_destroyed in dmesg but didn't find it heavily populated with those. What else should I look for in it?

I did not get that many wakelocks at work, but still heavier than usual battery drain.
logcat, dmesg log (with debug_mask = 35): http://db.tt/LwMkZVEb
BBS log: http://db.tt/w9iS8XRX
1698 wakelocks in 38 mins.

At home, I have D-Link DIR-655 router and Microcell.

I will be testing 02/26 overnight. Tomorrow, I will switch back to 02/15-C and post similar logs.

Haloruler64

Aug 11, 2010
Daly City
Hey Entropy. I used to run your kernels all the time. I just rooted my replacement SII (so no old scripts, everything clean), and flashed SHOstock and your 2/26 kernel over it. Crazy laggy. Nothing is smooth. Reflashed SHOstock and it works perfect with Siyah kernel. And I know the kernel before 2/26 didn't have any lag whatsoever. I posted this in the SHOstock thread and someone told me to write this here because Red5 was having the same issue.

R

Red5

Hey Entropy. I used to run your kernels all the time. I just rooted my replacement SII (so no old scripts, everything clean), and flashed SHOstock and your 2/26 kernel over it. Crazy laggy. Nothing is smooth. Reflashed SHOstock and it works perfect with Siyah kernel. And I know the kernel before 2/26 didn't have any lag whatsoever. I posted this in the SHOstock thread and someone told me to write this here because Red5 was having the same issue.

Going back to 2/15-C fixed my issue. 2/18-A,B also ran fine on my phone, but 2/15-C is just awesome.

2/26 made my phone super laggy and it took about 4 seconds for my screen to come on. Apps and the app drawer was choppy for me.

shoman94

Recognized Contributor
Mar 27, 2009
Maine
Going back to 2/15-C fixed my issue. 2/18-A,B also ran fine on my phone, but 2/15-C is just awesome.

2/26 made my phone super laggy and it took about 4 seconds for my screen to come on. Apps and the app drawer was choppy for me.

I'm testing 2/15-c right now. We'll see what tomorrow brings. I haven't tried 2/26 since I didn't like what 2/18-b did overall for my phone.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

stalked_r/t

Oct 6, 2011
Atlanta
I need to play with my device some.

Late last night, I used the one touch to return my phone to stock, wiped it using the input code in the dialer, Rooted the phone using the one touch. I then flashed 2/26 via mobile odin, applied UnNamed 2.2.1 and went to bed. Got up at 6:30 this morning. In the last two hours, I've dropped 21% battery life. Only thing I have installed or on is WiFi. I have a feeling this is an anomaly, so I'm going to redo that entire process again and see what happens. I'll let you know if I see the same type of results after a full charge.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OK, I figure it's time to start providing my kernels to the general public.

This should be compatible with most stock-derived Gingerbread firmwares. It is NOT compatible with CM7/MIUI or any other AOSP-derived firmware. It is NOT compatible with ICS and WILL NOT BE until ICS kernel source for the I9100 is released. At that point a new thread will be created for those kernels. I am testing it currently with self-deodexed/debloated/Hellraised XWKL1.

This kernel series is intended to be similar in spirit to my Daily Driver series for the Infuse at http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1212795

It is built from sources at https://github.com/Entropy512/linux_kernel_sgh-i777/commits/master, and initramfs at https://github.com/Entropy512/initramfs_sgh-i777/commits/master

My general goals are to focus on stability and battery life. If it comes to a tradeoff between performance and the above two, I will choose stability/battery life. In general I will choose stability first, with the exception of undervolting.

Current features:
    • codeworkx's cpuidle patch - should improve battery life a bit. In most cases it will likely not improve things much, but in rare cases it will result in significant improvements. (I only have one partially-reproducible test case on the Infuse so far)
    • JHash 3
    • BFQ I/O scheduler
    • CIFS module in initramfs
    • CWM 5.0.2.8 pulled from latest CM7 source tree as of 2/28/2012
    • "insecure" kernel (meaning root in ADB)
    • CPU governor set to Conservative by default to conserve some battery - this will make your device slightly less responsive, use SetCPU or a similar app to return to ondemand if you want it, or reduce the conservative polling interval
    • Filesystem readahead tweaks in initramfs
    • netarchy's Sleep of Death fix
    • netarchy's conservative governor tuning patch - should improve responsiveness of devices when using the conservative governor if you reduce the polling interval (misnamed as sample_rate) - the I9100 community calls this "lionheart" even though it's really only a 2-line patch
    • Battery charge current monitoring (CurrentWidget) support - only reports charge current and not discharge, and reports a value 2.85 times the actual current. Use CurrentWidget's "operation on value" to divide by 2.85.
    • Miscellaneous bugfixes pulled from Ninphetamine and CM7 sources - see github for details
    • /system/etc/init.d support in initramfs - Note that this only runs stuff in /system/etc/init.d - ROM developers or you need to create it. Attached is an example script that will change the CPU frequency governor to ondemand if placed in /system/etc/init.d and set to executable
    • Four "use at your own risk" features that trade performance for stability - See Post #4 for details
    • Standard bootanimation support
    • /proc/last_kmsg crash debugging support
    • NFS modules in initramfs - note that they must be insmodded in a specific order: sunrpc.ko, lockd.ko, then nfs.ko
    • Fix for fuel_alerted perma-wakelocks
    • Fix for wifi tethering on I9100 ROMs that have been Hellraised
    • Bump up TCP buffer sizes in initramfs to match that of the Infuse - may help network performance in some cases
    • cpuidle driver from Tab 7 Plus kernel - allows entry into AFTR more often
    • Support Bluetooth HID on newer firmware bases
    • 3-step GPU clock/voltage control
    • Extended hotplug tuning
    • Support for Xan's ExTweaks universal tuning app - https://market.android.com/details?id=com.darekxan.extweaks.app

Planned features, short term:
    • Pull in some improvements from myfluxi and arighi's trees

Planned features, mid-term:
    • ????

Planned features, long-term:
    • Improved battery charge algorithm for faster charging - Initial research indicates we have an alternate battery charger chip (MAX8922) that differs from the MAX8997 used in the I9100. We DO have an 8997 also - but on our device for some reason Samsung decided to use an alternate chip instead of using the 8997's built-in charging. This means we have far fewer options (90,400,660 mA) in terms of charge rates compared to the I9100 (from 200 to 950 in 50 mA steps). So we might not be able to implement any fancy charging algorithms. :(

Features not planned:
    • BFS process scheduler - I have only once ever seen a test case where this clearly outperformed the mainline Linux scheduler (multithread x264 encoding) - The mainline schedule was fixed in the next release and BFS now has no performance benefits
    • Any feature that trades off stability or data integrity for performance unless it can be disabled entirely and defaulted to "off"
    • Any feature that cannot have functionality tested without a paid app. Interface-only checks don't cut it - I don't want users complaining that the app they paid for didn't work because an interface check worked but function didn't
    • Touch recovery - too prone to accidental user errors - Maybe I will revisit when ICS hits.

Known issues:
    • Power management regression somewhere between 12/8/11 and 1/2/12 - Intermittent high drain without high AOS or reduced deep sleep percentage when on some wifi networks - seems more likely if GPS is used when connected to wifi. Wifi with high AOS/reduced deep sleep is not a kernel problem. This appears to only happen on some firmwares - it happens on XXKI3 but not XWKL1. It is likely connected to a wifi power management bug in some firmwares. A debugging feature in 2/7 and later will allow identification of such firmwares - see http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=22581928&postcount=1777 for details
    • Some people have reported touchkey lights becoming disabled until the screen is turned off and back on again. Under investigation - seems to mainly happen on firmwares with BLN-modded liblights even if the BLN app isn't used
    • Internal and External SD card are swapped in CWM currently
    Basic flashing instructions for .tar releases (NOTE - There are currently no releases in this category. These instructions only remain for heimdall+ZIP users:
    (Tested on Linux, not tested MacOS/Windows but should work) Heimdall - Extract the contents of the tar file, enter download mode, and flash with the following command line:
    Code:
    heimdall flash --kernel zImage

Flashing instructions for .zip releases:
    Flash in CWM, or extract the zImage and use the Heimdall instructions above.

Please do not ask how to enter download mode or install Heimdall/Odin in this thread - these are basic generic skills anyone flashing custom firmwares on Samsung devices should know and plenty of documentation exists elsewhere. If you really need to ask, use the General forum, or if created, the Q&A forum. I want to try to keep this thread clean and only with bug reports and issues specific to this release, not general HOWTO or troubleshooting posts. Some of the information you need is in jivy26's FAQs thread at http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1288112 - Reading at least the first post of this thread in its entirety is STRONGLY recommended.

Bug reports:
    If you have a crash (reboot all the way to Galaxy S I9100 screen), use ADB dump the contents of /proc/last_kmsg and post
    If you have oddball behavior, include a clearly reproducible test case with your report, or use ADB to obtain a dmesg and logcat capturing the odd behavior at the time of error.

Similar to flashing - using ADB and obtaining last_kmsg, dmesg, and logcat dumps are basic skills that anyone working with custom firmwares on Android devices should have. If you need help with these, do some searching, or post in the General forum or, if created, Q&A forum.

Firmware ("ROM") Developers:
    While I cannot restrict anyone from putting this kernel into a ROM as long as links are given to the github sources for GPL compliance, I request that anyone who includes this kernel in a firmware release does the following out of courtesy:
    Link to this thread
    Clearly indicate in your firmware changelog which Daily Driver kernel release is included in your firmware release whenever you change DD releases - this lets users identify whether a fix is present in the kernel they're using or not

Kernel Developers:
    Similar to my request for ROM developers, while I can't restrict you from doing anything, I ask as a courtesy that if you cherry-pick my commits, you do the following:
    Please don't rebase my commits into a large multi-feature without consulting me - rebasing related bugfixes together is OK.
    Please try not to implement lots of unrelated features or bugfixes in a single git commit - it makes it hard to reimplement that when Samsung drops new sources or releases a new device

ALL OF MY RELEASES ARE NAMED BY RELEASE DATE - MMDDYYYY. See the changelog for differences between Experimental (exp) and non-exp versions for days where dual releases are made.
    Change Log

3/7/2012 Release:
    Default GPU voltages were slightly too high (but not dangerously so) due to misreading some #ifdefs. Adjusted them downwards.

03/05/2012 Release:
    • 3-step GPU voltage control (thanks to gokhanmoral of SiyahKernel)
    • Extended CPU hotplug tunables (also thanks to gokhanmoral of SiyahKernel) - I didn't bother with Tegrak Second Core support as it offers nothing these tunables don't offer that makes sense
    • Preliminary support for Xan's ExTweaks tuning app - https://market.android.com/details?id=com.darekxan.extweaks.app (Yes, it currently says SiyahKernel only, but I added support) - use this to tweak the new features

03/04/2012 Release B:

03/04/2012 Release:

03/03/2012 Release B:
    • Readd a couple of cpuidle register restore/saves that were removed by Samsung between the I9100 and Tab 7 Plus sources - Small chance this might be where the SoDs come from.

03/03/2012 Release:

03/02/2012 Release:

02/28/2012 Release:

02/26/2012 Release:
    Readd https://github.com/Entropy512/linux_kernel_sgh-i777/commit/634b73c2d0b7e156b5c1626fd268662fcaa5fabe

02/16/2012 Release B:
    PULLED - actual release was identical to 15C due to a mistake in creating the ZIP. - Replaced by 02/18/2012 Release B.
    Readd https://github.com/Entropy512/linux_kernel_sgh-i777/commit/3954900055afe0d22a7ce71b50e4a5cb439c24bf (cpuidle: governor: menu: don't use loadavg)

02/16/2012 Release A:
    PULLED - actual release was identical to 15C due to a mistake in creating the ZIP. - Replaced by 02/18/2012 Release A. (CWM will report this as 2/17A - ignore this, CPUSpy should report afternoon in 2/18)
    Readd https://github.com/Entropy512/linux_kernel_sgh-i777/commit/4d8a7e7834e29cee232d6634454c0c38e9903d49 (Add MSHCI Power Control)

02/15/2012 Release C:
    Fixes to multiple drivers that were attempting to lock frequency to certain levels. On an overclock kernel, these were all two frequency steps higher than originally intended:
    • Application-controlled lock in kernel/power/main.c - Likely this combined with arighi's frequency scaling patch was the cause of most 2/7 stability issues
    • Camera locking to 1.2 GHz is fixed
    • Thermal limits (reducing clock frequency while overheating) was broken, should now work properly

02/15/2012 Release B:
    Readds the following patches, should be safe:

02/15/2012 Release A:
    Revert most patches from 1/30 and 2/07 due to stability issues EXCEPT:
    • BTHID interoperability fix
    • MFC/new cpuidle interoperability fix
    • A BCM4330 patch revert (it was a revert to begin with)
    There will be a second "B" release containing patches that I think should be safe stability-wise but want to have separated anyway. After that, I will be making releases 1-2 times a day, each with only one new patch. This will allow the offending patches for recently reported stability problems to be identified. As a result, releases will have A/B/C/etc letter codes after the date until I no longer expect multiple releases per day. Until the stability issues are resolved, Experimental releases are suspended.

02/07/2012 Release:
    • Lock out AFTR during hardware accelerated video playback - should fix issues with hwaccel video that some people had with 1/29 and later
    • Disables second core when the screen is off (this patch comes from arighi)
    • A patch from arighi ("smooth scaling") that prevents the performance governor from getting "stuck" at the wrong frequency, and should make ondemand a bit more responsive
    • Small cpuidle governor fix from mainline
    • Revert a wifi patch that did nothing at all if you read the code
    • Print an error in dmesg when suspend handling in the wifi driver is blocked by the system firmware for whatever reason (XXKI3 does this) - System firmwares that do this will make you vulnerable to battery drain on "dirty" networks (ARP spam, broadcast traffic)
    • Small performance patch by Russell King of ARM (see github for details)
    • Standard only for now - will release experimental in a day or two
    • Warning - This doesn't have as much testing as I normally put into a kernel, but I needed to get a cpuidle fix out ASAP in my opinion

1/30/2012 Releases:
    • Backport Bluetooth HID fixes from Epic 4G Touch EL29 sources - Seems to fix Bluetooth HID on UCKK6, should also fix it on newer I9100 bases
    • Backport a power management change (MSHCI power control) from E4GT EL29 - Actually, I think this is something that was in the AT&T drop and I9100 Update3 removed
    • ashmem deadlock fix - might fix nizda1's issue (unknown, I thought I had this in already but I guess I didn't) - found by arighi
    • Tweak from arighi - set SLUB_MAX_ORDER to 0 since our device doesn't have ginormous amounts of RAM
    • Increase TCP initial receive and congestion windows - should improve throughput on new TCP connections (such as web page loads)
    • Remove a small dmesg spam introduced by the cpuidle backport
    • Add ARM Errata 753970 (bugfix)

1/29/2012 Releases:
    • Backported cpuidle driver from the Tab 7 Plus - Allows AFTR idle to be entered more often, enables it my default, and permits it to be tracked separately from LPA idle mode.
    • Reverted some small I9100 changes to GPIO configurations - These changes may do nothing, the functions of these GPIOs are undocumented but appear to be somehow sleep related. See github commit for details

1/24/2012 Releases:
    • Include tun.ko
    The above change is so small I'm removing the 1/23 download

1/23/2012 Releases (Note: Experimental might not actually be posted until 1/24):
    • Enable building for I9100 targets (source code change only, see github)
    • Revert some unnecessary patches from arighi's tree, prep for implementing more useful ones
    • A pile of upstream Linux kernel bugfixes, huge thanks go to myfluxi for finding these and testing them on himself: https://github.com/myfluxi/xxKernel
    • Bring in two small missing updates from I9100 update3 sources
    • Enable separate debugging of wake_lock_destroy() to enable diagnosing high deleted_wake_locks time

1/2/2012 Releases:
    • Road to I9100 Update3: COMPLETE - Video changes, media changes, battery/PMIC changes, Samsung-specific arch/arm changes
    • Road to I9100 Update3: Revert touchscreen drivers to I777 source codebase. SiyahKernel also did this, it seems to solve the wake lag issues. However those that didn't encounter lag may see reduced responsiveness. There's a possible workaround though.

12/21/2011 Releases:
    • Road to I9100: USB Host (untested), Touchkey, Broadcom DHD (Bluetooth, WiFi)
    • Initramfs: Bring in a few updates from UCKK6. Might fix wifi for KK6 people (UCKK6 compatibility UNTESTED.)

12/12/2011 Releases:
    • Road to I9100: Touchscreen Drivers
    • Irrelevant Road to I9100: DPRAM, WiMax, staging drivers

12/8/2011 Releases:
    • Resume dual-release standard (2.6.35.7) and experimental (2.6.35.14) builds - note exp does NOT fix the AOS bug, just hides it - see http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kern...it;h=a3fe22ee824895aafdc1b788e19c081a2e6dd9da
    • Remove some debugging printk()s from the AFTR cpuidle driver for those who enable AFTR deep idle mode (see init.d scripts thread linked below)
    • More components of I9100 update3 sources - MMC, filesystem, and generic arch/arm changes
    • Removed filesystem I/O scheduler tweak script from initramfs - this belongs as a separate init.d script. See http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1378080 for this script's new home along with other scripts
    • Enable compilation of FUSE module. Combined with an ntfs-3g binary this should allow people who want to mount NTFS drives with OTG cables to do so. I cannot provide any additional support for this though - no OTG cable

12/1/2011 Release:
    • Disable interactive governor - it was causing kernel panics in LPM (e.g. reboot to normal poweron when power-off charging), too much risk of it causing a panic during normal operation so it's gone
    • Two small fixes, one to MMC power management and one to cpuidle - see github for details
    • Per-file fsync disable - see HERE BE DRAGONS post #4 and USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
    • First step of patching up to Samsung I9100 update3 sources - New sound drivers. Please focus on sound until the next release.

11/23/2011 Release:
    • BLN from Ninphetamine - WARNING: An active BLN notification WILL drain your battery by holding a wakelock. Also, you need to install a compatible liblights if your ROM doesn't already have it. VillainROM 3.0 has it, I'll try to post a library and installation instructions after the Thanksgiving weekend ends
    • Permissions changes for /data/misc/wifi that allow tethering settings to persist on Hellraised ROMs (EDIT: Not working for fresh flashes... Maybe not working at all. what the **** is overriding the perms?)
    • Enabled Interactive governor in defconfig. drowningchild says it's stable - I tend to be paranoid when it comes to governors

11/13/2011 Release:
    • Upgrade to CWM 5.0.2.7 pulled from Cyanogenmod 7 nightly 12 - adds nandroid backup/restore to external SD - advanced restore from extSD not working yet, also CWM labels external SD as "internal"

11/10/2011 Release:

11/03/2011 Release:
    • Fix for wifi tethering on I9100 ROMs
    • Bump up TCP buffer sizes in initramfs to match that of the Infuse - may help network performance in some cases
    • Experimental (2.6.35.14) releases discontinued until further notice - They provided no discernible benefit, and hid the infamous "AOS Bug" making it harder to diagnose. (It did not fix the drain)

10/20/2011 Releases:
    • Fix for fuel_alerted perma-wakelocks
    • GPU clock control, same method as Ninphetamine - see Ninphetamine kernel for documentation. Completely untested other than that the default values don't change or break anything. Same rules as for my overclock code... Credit goes to Netarchy for this, it's his git commit 100%

10/16/2011 Releases:
    • Make root injection script less aggressive
    • NFS modules in initramfs - note that they must be insmodded in a specific order: sunrpc.ko, lockd.ko, then nfs.ko
    • Miscellaneous bugfixes, see git

10/13/2011 Releases:
    • Make root injection script in initramfs less aggressive
    10/09/2011 Releases:
    • Update root injection script to install su-3.0 - Still need work on this to make it more robust when su updates again.
    • Misc. fixes from codeworkx's CM7 tree and Ninphetamine
    • Start of Experimental dual-release series - Experimental updates base to 2.6.35.14 using arighi's patches

10/07/2011 Releases: (There were multiple, but as their files are no longer posted I'm merging it into one changelog entry)
    • Conservative tuning patch no longer considered experimental
    • /system/etc/init.d support in initramfs
    • Overclocking/Undervolting implementation by codeworkx - USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. DO NOT REPORT BUGS OR PROBLEMS IF YOU ARE OVERCLOCKING OR UNDERVOLTING. IF YOU EXPERIENCE ANY STABILITY PROBLEMS, DISABLE ALL OC/UV
    • Standard bootanimation support

10/06/2011 Experimental Release:
    • netarchy's conservative governor tuning patch - should improve responsiveness of devices when using the conservative governor

10/06/2011 Release:
    • Automatic root injection in initramfs
    • Filesystem readahead tweaks in initramfs
    • netarchy's Sleep of Death fix
    • Battery charge current monitoring (CurrentWidget) support - only reports charge current and not discharge, and reports a value 2.85 times the actual current. Use CurrentWidget's "operation on value" to divide by 2.85.
    • Miscellaneous bugfixes pulled from Ninphetamine sources - see github for details

Initial Release: 10/04/2011
    • codeworkx's cpuidle patch - should improve battery life a bit. In most cases it will likely not improve things much, but in rare cases it will result in significant improvements. (I only have one partially-reproducible test case on the Infuse so far)
    • JHash 3
    • BFQ I/O scheduler
    • CIFS module in initramfs
    • CWM 5.0.2.3 from Codeworkx's CWM kernel
    • CPU governor set to Conservative by default to conserve some battery - this will make your device slightly less responsive, use SetCPU or a similar app to return to ondemand if you want it
    • "Insecure" kernel - ADB sessions ALWAYS have root
    .. and now for something pretty much off-topic...

Some of you have no idea how lucky you are...

Having just switched to a galaxy note, I'm trying to find a kernel for that device that's as refined as Entropy512's DD is on the i777. There isn't one.

I think one of the best examples of refinement can be demonstrated by the kind of bloat people put into these kernels. For example, I don't want to have 96 flavors of governors in the kernel. Those things take up space and anything added to a kernel is something that can break a kernel. Really, the SmackMyAssAndCAllMySally v.294 governor is no different than the LionBreathXYZ governor which is really just a copy of the conservative governor with pre-configured parameters. Just because someone named "MineIsBiggerThanYours" says that some governor is better doesn't make it so. Take it from an engineer with over 20 years experience in the industry - it's NOT better. If it was, don't you think it'd show up in the mainline linux kernel or perhaps Motorola, Samsung, HTC or Google would bring it into their own android codebases?

You have, developing for the i777, an engineer who actually understands what he's doing (and doesn't blindly copy patches from other people), who tests what he does on his own hardware, who spends time researching things before implementing them (or copying them) and seems to be doing this to make things better for the device (instead of to gain as many donations as possible.)

One other thing - you won't find a single thing that Entropy's done in the kernel that isn't immediately published and available to the public. Not only does he share, but he encourages others to examine his changes, comment on them, and use them for other projects.

What really annoys me about xda-developers is the lack of recognition that I've seen Entropy get for all this work. For example, a few months ago he posted some nice init.d scripts. All was well until about a week ago when someone else posted a similar thread. For some reason, Entropy's work was ignored and a big deal was made on the front page of xda-developers about this other person's init.d scripts (which were mostly just copies of other people's work.)

Well, regardless of what some poor college kid might think, I KNOW who actually deserves the recognition. Perhaps this post will remind others of that as well.

Take care
    Gary
    When it's ready - the ICS kernel WILL have its own separate thread.
    Here be dragons

This post is for features present in the kernel that are "use at your own risk" - They have either potential or guaranteed negative side effects if used.
    Overclocking (CPU):
    Enable using SetCPU or a similar app
    USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. DO NOT REPORT BUGS OR PROBLEMS IF YOU ARE OVERCLOCKING OR UNDERVOLTING. IF YOU EXPERIENCE ANY STABILITY PROBLEMS, DISABLE ALL OC/UV

Overclocking (GPU):
    See Ninphetamine kernel for documentation - Same control method
    USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. DO NOT REPORT BUGS OR PROBLEMS IF YOU ARE OVERCLOCKING. IF YOU EXPERIENCE ANY STABILITY PROBLEMS, DISABLE ALL OC

Per-File fsync() disable:
    This allows you to disable per-file write forced syncs. (e.g. if an app tries to force a write straight to disk, it'll just go to cache). This achieves the same goal as the modded sqlite hacks seen in tweaks such as USAS, however it can be disabled at runtime.

WARNING: THIS CAN CAUSE DATA LOSS OR CORRUPTION IN A CRASH

To enable, do the following in a terminal, or add it to an init.d script (look at my ondemand script as an example):
    Code:
    echo "1" > /sys/module/sync/parameters/fsync_disabled

And to disable (return to the default):
    Code:
    echo "0" > /sys/module/sync/parameters/fsync_disabled
    Good for around 200 points of epeen in the database benchmarks in Antutu or 500-600 points of epeen in Quadrant. Real-world benefit: Probably not worth the data integrity risk, but you've got a choice now.

Backlight Notifications (BLN):
    This allows the touchkey backlights to be used for notifications. Some stock apps (such as stock MMS) don't support it. Supposedly services.jar mods can change this.

This WILL drain your battery when a notification is active due to a wakelock that holds deep sleep. Sorry, it's either this or instability for the time being.

In addition to the BLN control app, the ROM needs a modified liblights file for this to work

Attached here - Liblights - both BLN-modified (extracted from VillainROM 3.0) and stock I777

To install, take the file and push it to /system:
    Code:
    adb remount
    adb push <file> /system/lib/hw/lights.SGH-I777.so
    adb chmod 644 /system/lib/hw/lights.SGH-I777.so
    Then reboot

Note that on a Hellraised ROM, you need to replace SGH-I777 with GT-I9100. This includes manually ported ROMs like Cognition 777

Like my prerooted system image, this file is compressed using 7-Zip to prevent people from trying to flash it with CWM