[Q] Please help! can't get any ADB drivers on this site to load on my computer

Search This thread

herrenfam

Aug 30, 2008
My kindle fire 2 rooted was working fine until I launched this program called GOLauncher. I didn't like it and tried to uninstall it, but the darn thing wouldn't remove and the the next time I turned on my kindle, all I would get was a flashing loading screen. Nothing else. I soon thereafter discovered (when the 1-step program I had previous successfully used about 10 times before) would go no further that daemon starting. I noticed that instead of a Kindle in my device manager, there was now only a Portable Device with E: showing as active.

I've tried every solution I could find from here, but 90% of them assume you have the whole driver .exe to install or some other such stuff. Every driver that doesn't, doesn't work for my computer, and won't put the kindle device back on my computer. So now, I have no way to communicate between my kindle and my computer, which I need to do frequently.

I've uninstalled each adb between installs, I've tried all the drivers I can find, I've deleted hidden devices (there were no kindles there either)

Plus, I can't get these apps I installed on the third party sites (which I miss) to uninstall. All they say is "move to favorites" in both my app folder and in the cloud. I am assuming it's because I no longer am able to access those sites.

Could someone please help me? I'm pretty computer literate, except where it comes to DOS commands. Sigh, the one thing I didn't learn in high school.

I promise I've been spent the last 5 days and nights (and even restored my device to factory settings just to get it to work) searching through so many pages of this site that I'm starting to get confused. Will someone please help me?

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
OK lemme get this straight, you are stuck in a boot loop at the kindle logo and want adb access but nothing is showing up( except maybe a portable device)? If its showing up as a portable device during a boot loop that strikes me as odd, usually you don't have adb access during a bootloop , much less and mtp connection. If it's stuck in a boot loop you will typically need a fastboot cable to get out of it. Also what os are you running? I might be of more assistance after I get a better idea of what your kindle is doing exactly.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD running CM10.1 Tablet UI using xda-developers app

herrenfam

Aug 30, 2008
OK lemme get this straight, you are stuck in a boot loop at the kindle logo and want adb access but nothing is showing up( except maybe a portable device)? If its showing up as a portable device during a boot loop that strikes me as odd, usually you don't have adb access during a bootloop , much less and mtp connection. If it's stuck in a boot loop you will typically need a fastboot cable to get out of it. Also what os are you running? I might be of more assistance after I get a better idea of what your kindle is doing exactly.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD running CM10.1 Tablet UI using xda-developers app

This is what happened. I installed a program from the Google Play store, wasn't happy with it, and botched the uninstallation. I was messing around on my computer to see how I could fix the problem (after just rooting hubby's kindle fire 2nd generation and discovering I had not ADB drivers and my device manager wasn't recognizing my requests). I notice that once again the kindle is missing on device manager when plugged in to the computer. What is showing up is a Portable Device labeled E:. So I go looking for answers here.

One of the things I noticed I could do with the broken kindle was that about 1 out of 5 times it was on, I could swipe the top of the screen and have the settings menu come up. And out 1 out of those 5 times, I could actually get a setting to appear by pressing on it. So I literally spent 17 hours trying to time the swipe, press, press to get the restore to factory settings program to work. And when it finished, I had a useable device, but all the kindle programs were gone (they were still on my cloud) and I could run all the programs installed from other android stores (but I can't uninstall them). And, of course, I can't get my computer to recognize the device. But I do have program called file manager that allows me access to shared files on my family's three computers so I can transfer files over the LAN if I need to.

I hope that helps. Thanks for taking the time to help me.

I am running an Intel i5 with 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1. It has all Microsoft updates and it is my pristine baby that I bought 18 months ago (my last computer was 9 years old that I built with an AMD processor and an 17 and 20 GB hard drives that were donated to me. It was a real POS, but it's still running to this day as a backup.

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
I know the feeling, before i got my new laptop from a friend a few weeks ago i had a pc with a pentium 4 and 2gb of ram, and like 3 hard drives. Anyways I'm assuming at this point you want to try restoring the system partition? Have you tried the drivers in my signature for adb access? If you can reboot into fastboot you could restore the system image from kindle fire first aid, should fix any problems with the os. It all depends on if USB debugging is turned on on your kindle, and if you can get the PC to detect it as such, usually I would just uninstall the MTP device and try searching for drivers on the new device detected and point it to my drivers.

herrenfam

Aug 30, 2008
Have you tried a factory reset?

--》Sent from my mind to your screen

Thanks for both of your information. I did get the ADB drivers to show up - in the most stupid of ways. I changed from by brand new monster gold plated cable to a Wal-Mart special. Suddenly, everything worked perfectly! I use KFFirstAide to restore the device to the #1 setting, and then rooted it using the #23 setting. I also installed the Google Play store (though I installed the wrong, more complicated, version of if the first time.

Now I have a problem I can't see to fix. Ever since I got everything set up, there are certain programs on my kindle (cloud and device) that I can't get rid of. They are No Lock, Talk, News & Weather, Majic Locker, Google Voice, and Gl Launcher HD. I've tried downloading both ES Task and File Manager and deleting or startup disabling these apps, and while they say they are deleted, they reappear back on the active list as soon as I turn on my device (yes, I've rebooted), but I can't get them off my kindle Apps pages. And Go Launcher starts up every single time I turn on my device, and I hate this program, because it is not what I was looking for. Now I always have to look at it.

These .apk's are all in the system/apps folder. That's why I've tried to use the above file apps to get rid of them.

Also, my Silk browser doesn't work (I can open it and it immediately closes), and while I know I can download dolphin browser or firefox, I want the browser built for tablet speed and efficiency. Plus, when I had multiple browsers before, I always got the popup asking me which app I wanted to use to perform that function. But I can't find an apk for silk anywhere, and my device won't uninstall Silk.

Can anyone help? I feel so stupid about the cable issue. You wouldn't think a 3 day old cable would not properly transfer data.

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
OK to fix your launcher, go into the setting>apps and find go launcher and clear its defaults. That's kinda unspecific but I haven't been on amazon os for a while. To get rid of system apps, use es file explorer, enable root access, if on the older version, mount the system, if you have a panel on the left its the new version. Anyways from there you can simply hold down on the app and hit delete. Not too sure why silk isn't on the list. Though I though I might say consider this, you have no way of using flash with silk, so other browsers are kinda useful because you can. Then again I like flash. Kinda sounds like silk got deleted.

Last edited:

nkolvek

Jan 24, 2011
Not entirely true

I have gotten several tablets to respond to ABD commands while soft bricked or not booting all the way. This is actually how I became an authorized MID repair facility. I have repaired a few kindle's that would only boot the to logo. If the device is loading as portable device, go to device manager, update driver for portable device, manually update the driver to whatever ADB driver you have extracted and it should at least respond to adb wipe command. once done you should be able to use the KFU to restore the tablet to factory state.

At least this is the process that has worked for me several times.