Soft touch buttons unresponsive

Search This thread

soulcedric

Jan 4, 2013
Philadelphia
I have a Nexus 4 and I am on Android 4.4. I recently encountered the issue of my soft touch buttons (back, home, recent apps) being unresponsive, the rest of the screen works but my buttons don't respond to touch. I can still slide ip for Google now though.

I tried restarting my device and even upgraded to a newer build of 4.4, no luck.

parveen75

Aug 7, 2013
jalandhar
R u on stock or custom rom? Try to flash stock rom from developer google site.. If nt solved thn go to lg service centr it seems touch problm

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

soulcedric

Jan 4, 2013
Philadelphia
R u on stock or custom rom? Try to flash stock rom from developer google site.. If nt solved thn go to lg service centr it seems touch problm

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
After some digging, there's a whole Google products forum post on this issue. It's disgusting that Google won't acknowledge it, looks like it's a hardware issue associated with overheating and the 4.4.2 update.

Temporary solution is to use another soft keys app, but I'll have to ditch this phone ASAP, I'm out of warranty and Google will not fix something they caused.

lopezk38

Apr 20, 2013
San Diego
After some digging, there's a whole Google products forum post on this issue. It's disgusting that Google won't acknowledge it, looks like it's a hardware issue associated with overheating and the 4.4.2 update.

Temporary solution is to use another soft keys app, but I'll have to ditch this phone ASAP, I'm out of warranty and Google will not fix something they caused.

That heat thing sounds odd to me. Do the home buttons work in landscape (With the earpiece to your right)?

popinterfaces

Jun 30, 2014
Paris
Yes, it does, but the touch input isn't recognized in the developer options. It's all documented here:
https://productforums.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/nexus/7SNIT8xPYzc

As said by many peolple in the thread you posted, it clearly seems to be a software issue :
- problem appeared after an update
- screen zone is fully functionnal with touch input (immersive mode or landscape tests proves it)

as said by parveen75, try to flash stock rom from developer google site (with a version on wich you know didn't have the problem, ie 4.2 ?)

soulcedric

Jan 4, 2013
Philadelphia
As said by many peolple in the thread you posted, it clearly seems to be a software issue :
- problem appeared after an update
- screen zone is fully functionnal with touch input (immersive mode or landscape tests proves it)

as said by parveen75, try to flash stock rom from developer google site (with a version on wich you know didn't have the problem, ie 4.2 ?)
I will try that, but it seems odd that other people would have the problem fixed after a screen replacement, which would identify it as a hardware issue.

popinterfaces

Jun 30, 2014
Paris
maybe the screen replacement method (used by repair services/centers) came with a reset/flash of the rom.
What is even more strange is that some people seem to encounter the same bug again even after a screen replacement.

Please, keep us informed if the flash method solved the bug.
I'm currently still on 4.4.2 (for development needs) and i'm worried i could face the same problem !

soulcedric

Jan 4, 2013
Philadelphia
I've confirmed that it's a hardware issue and has affected a lot of users who updated. I cannot touch the area of the screen in full screen apps.

Google should be warned and issue a statement about this, this is very bad news for us users.

MAHMOUD.ANWAR

Jul 25, 2015
Temporary solution

any one has this problem should download any soft key app
BUTTON SAVIOR IS A good APP
it solved my problem
i advice you to try it
you can try any other app it's not advertisement you can use any soft key app i wrote this name just because i have tried it
good luck every one