The solution to the GPS problem

Search This thread

jockyw2001

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 17, 2007
I'm confident I found the solution to enable GPS on production model Wings !
Check this out!

Now someone should test it!
See this post for info about dumping NV items.
or read on for a short manual:

0. search and download QPST (this is a qualcomm product suite, i believe someone put a link in this thread)
1. install HardSPL (see sticky)
2. download drivers on your PC (installation will be triggered after step 5.)
3. uncheck "Allow USB connections" in Activesync
4. restart phone in tri-color bootloader mode and start MTTY 1.42 (attached)
5. press return until you see Cmd> prompt and type: rtask c (if you never installed the diagnostics drivers before the installation of three drivers will be triggered (modem, diag com port diag and nmea com port)
6. now exit MTTY and start "QPST RF NV Item Manager" and select Read from Phone from the File menu
7. search item 0148 [NV_RF_CONFIG_I] on a production model is 11 (hexadecimal 0xb) and on a pre-production model it is 17 (hexadecimal 0x11)
8. if you have a production model change the value to 17 and click the button "NV Write". To veryfy if the value is sticky Read from Phone again

These are the steps. Unfortunately on a production model the value 17 is not written and stays 11. This is due to some kind of security mechanism and I'm quite sure this can and will be h*cked soon.

On a pre-production Wings and also on production Kaisers the value can be modified.

Attachments

• mtty1.42.zip
    18 KB · Views: 486
Last edited:

Djim

Jan 11, 2008
i'm kinda new with smartphones ^^;
would you mind to write a little summary in a post or in a pm with the procedure?
sorry to ask that , i just dont want to do anything wrong ^^;
thx

jockyw2001

May 17, 2007
Just to summarize the current status:
el_lo attempted to change the NV item #148 value from 11 to 17. However, the new value isn't stored. The same happens on Niki (they also cannot activate GPS) and a friend xperiences same as el_lo. Perhaps a wrong driver version or NV item manager version causes this problem.

On Kaiser I can both read and update NV items.

So it's time to get back to the drawing board :D

Dumdidum

Feb 6, 2005
Just to summarize the current status:
el_lo attempted to change the NV item #148 value from 11 to 17. However, the new value isn't stored. The same happens on Niki (they also cannot activate GPS) and a friend xperiences same as el_lo. Perhaps a wrong driver version or NV item manager version causes this problem.

On Kaiser I can both read and update NV items.

So it's time to get back to the drawing board :D

How can I read the NV Item?

Last edited:

jenko22

Jan 10, 2008
Dump NV Items

The configuration of radio are stored as NV items. It is possible to dump these as foolows:
1. Restart in tri-color bootloader mode and start MTTY
2. Type: rtask c
3. Exit MTTY and start "QPST RF NV Item Manager" and select Read from Phone from the File menu followed by Write Only listed Items to .QCN file

Taken from hxxp://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=1813156

WasStoNed

Dec 7, 2007
I'll try and see what I can do with mine this week-end, work's crap as no admin on PC.
Really wanna help to get this going

Dumdidum

Feb 6, 2005
Btw: I could successfully change it to 11... (checked it)

Dont have a fix since 10 minutes... but up to 13 (!) satelittes in view still....

jockyw2001

May 17, 2007
Dumdidum's last test makes me very pessimistic.
It almost seems that before the item value is written to NVRAM the device checks if the hw is available :(

Anyhow, we will know soon, because I think I have a method to write NV which bypasses all checks :)

walram

Jul 17, 2007
Dumdidum's last test makes me very pessimistic.
It almost seems that before the item value is written to NVRAM the device checks if the hw is available :(

Anyhow, we will know soon, because I think I have a method to write NV which bypasses all checks :)

I can't wait! Hope this will help.

By the way. Did you play around with the QXDM software? I found a testing utility for the GPS. I only could test it at work and we have no gps signals inside the building. Maybe you can try?