lapdock hdmi/power issue

Search This thread

djuniah

Jul 10, 2010
Philadelphia
Just opened my atrix lapdock for the first time in a while to try it out and had a bunch of weird things happen that i havent seen listed eleswhere. Just wanted to know if anyone else seen something like this.

First, i'm running the latest Carbon nightly on my Razr HD.

Things that happened:
1) I plugged in the HDMI/USB and the phone mirrored onto the screen, however the mouse/keyboard didn't work and it wasn't charging the phone.
2) I removed the phone, checked the jacks and plugged it back in again. This time, the lapdock's backlight turned on, but nothing showed up on the screen. I ran an lsusb and it does show a device there (when i remove the usb it doesn't list anything).

I can't seem to get the phone to mirror again though. I've since rebooted the phone and tried a few other things, but i can't seem to replicate #1.

Anyone have a similar experience?

skeevydude

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Feb 10, 2012
Hot Springs
Just opened my atrix lapdock for the first time in a while to try it out and had a bunch of weird things happen that i havent seen listed eleswhere. Just wanted to know if anyone else seen something like this.

First, i'm running the latest Carbon nightly on my Razr HD.

Things that happened:
1) I plugged in the HDMI/USB and the phone mirrored onto the screen, however the mouse/keyboard didn't work and it wasn't charging the phone.
2) I removed the phone, checked the jacks and plugged it back in again. This time, the lapdock's backlight turned on, but nothing showed up on the screen. I ran an lsusb and it does show a device there (when i remove the usb it doesn't list anything).

I can't seem to get the phone to mirror again though. I've since rebooted the phone and tried a few other things, but i can't seem to replicate #1.

Anyone have a similar experience?

That's pretty much normal on custom JB roms. You can get the phone to output to the Lapdock in a bastardized 1080p if you go to dev settings and disable hdcp -- there's a bug in the custom kernel regarding both obtaining the lapdock's EDID as well as the phone always trying to initiate the hdcp handshake even though it's really a dvi monitor with an hdmi>dvi adapter. With HDCP disabled, the phone will force output to 1080p, only the monitor is 1366x768, and due to the buggy EDID, none of FB1's (framebuffer 1...hdmi output) settings are tweakable...mainly the resolution setting like we have to use in Stock Moto JB. Sucks knowing the bug and not knowing how to fix it.

Good news is the Lapdock is reported to work just fine with Stock KitKat. Once the dev team is ready and start releasing CM11 with the 3.4 kernel, we'll finally be able to use the Lapdock with custom KK roms like we did with stock ICS.

djuniah

Jul 10, 2010
Philadelphia
That's pretty much normal on custom JB roms. You can get the phone to output to the Lapdock in a bastardized 1080p if you go to dev settings and disable hdcp -- there's a bug in the custom kernel regarding both obtaining the lapdock's EDID as well as the phone always trying to initiate the hdcp handshake even though it's really a dvi monitor with an hdmi>dvi adapter. With HDCP disabled, the phone will force output to 1080p, only the monitor is 1366x768, and due to the buggy EDID, none of FB1's (framebuffer 1...hdmi output) settings are tweakable...mainly the resolution setting like we have to use in Stock Moto JB. Sucks knowing the bug and not knowing how to fix it.

Good news is the Lapdock is reported to work just fine with Stock KitKat. Once the dev team is ready and start releasing CM11 with the 3.4 kernel, we'll finally be able to use the Lapdock with custom KK roms like we did with stock ICS.

I actually had HDCP disabled during all of those cases i mentioned. I was doing some testing on laggy playback of protected video streams via HDMI (Netflix/Xfinitity/etc. had been lagging the video stream and getting out of sync recently) and had disabled it to see if it would help. The other odd part is that now i can't even see the hub via lsusb. When i plug the phone in, the little white LED on the trackpad lights up, so it definitely sees a connection, however lsusb shows 0 results on the device. I'm wondering if maybe the small cables that go through the hinge got damaged somehow while i was messing around with it last night.

skeevydude

Feb 10, 2012
Hot Springs
I actually had HDCP disabled during all of those cases i mentioned. I was doing some testing on laggy playback of protected video streams via HDMI (Netflix/Xfinitity/etc. had been lagging the video stream and getting out of sync recently) and had disabled it to see if it would help. The other odd part is that now i can't even see the hub via lsusb. When i plug the phone in, the little white LED on the trackpad lights up, so it definitely sees a connection, however lsusb shows 0 results on the device. I'm wondering if maybe the small cables that go through the hinge got damaged somehow while i was messing around with it last night.

What kind of Lapdock? I have the 500 and it's unable to work in the proper resolution on custom roms since around June of last year (when Epinter's hdcp/hdmi commits started showing up in the cm kernel). When it did work, did it work with the correct resolution? Because it's in a forced 1080p with no way of changing it on the Atrix HD & any custom rom (and only then when HDCP is disabled).

The hinge cables...that would suck if that's what happened. I could see that being a difficult fix to do, though I've never taken my Lapdock apart to know if it's actually that difficult.

djuniah

Jul 10, 2010
Philadelphia
What kind of Lapdock? I have the 500 and it's unable to work in the proper resolution on custom roms since around June of last year (when Epinter's hdcp/hdmi commits started showing up in the cm kernel). When it did work, did it work with the correct resolution? Because it's in a forced 1080p with no way of changing it on the Atrix HD & any custom rom (and only then when HDCP is disabled).

The hinge cables...that would suck if that's what happened. I could see that being a difficult fix to do, though I've never taken my Lapdock apart to know if it's actually that difficult.

It's the atrix lapdock (which i believe is a different model from the 500 or 100). I had picked it up cheap for my old OG Razr and i know that it did work previously. The resolution was actually correct though. It showed up full-screen without the black bars, which was quite surprising given what i've read elsewhere. There are quite a few exposed screws on the bottom of the unit, so if i HAD to go in there and replace the cable that runs from the hub to the dock, i think i could, but i've only opened up the back-dock section to flip the jacks around to fit the HD.

skeevydude

Feb 10, 2012
Hot Springs
It's the atrix lapdock (which i believe is a different model from the 500 or 100). I had picked it up cheap for my old OG Razr and i know that it did work previously. The resolution was actually correct though. It showed up full-screen without the black bars, which was quite surprising given what i've read elsewhere. There are quite a few exposed screws on the bottom of the unit, so if i HAD to go in there and replace the cable that runs from the hub to the dock, i think i could, but i've only opened up the back-dock section to flip the jacks around to fit the HD.

Odd, especially since they all run at the same 1366x768 resolution, but it could simply be a case of the phone registering the incorrect EDID from the 100 and/or 500.

There isn't a single exposed screw on the 500 without removing all the rubber feet and rubber screw blocks.

Thursday needs to hurry on up and get here. It's when my replacement Atrix HD will arrive. No phone sucks.