Different screen mfrs/tecnology?? Polarized Sunglasses, 2 HTC One M8's test

Search This thread

kremer4

Feb 6, 2010
I remember seeing a post on polarized sungglasses about this but here is my first hand experience. I bought my "first" HTC One m8 on opening day. One thing I noticed is that with my polarized sunglasses I could not see the screen. And when I say that I couldn't see it I really mean it was almost black with my sunglasses on even with brightness all the way up. Only if I tilted my head certain angels could I slighyt see the screen. I figured no big deal, annoying but I've seen someone else comment about it on the forum so I figured it's normal on this phone or my brand of polarized lenses. Never had this issues with previous phones (Note 3, iPhone 5, Nexus 5) using these glasses but I dismissed it.

Then I had to exchange my phone because the speakers were crackling and just picked up my new HTC One M8. Now using the same glasses I can see the screen just fine, same as I was able to do on my previous iPhone 5.

Anyone else notice this? It's not unheard of that phone mfrs use different screen mfrs for the same phone.

Note: Both HTC One m8's were the Verizon version.

Last edited:

chrisomnia1

Feb 13, 2009
Was wondering about this too. Had a DNA that I could see clearly with sunglasses. I may try to exchange mine.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 07:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 AM ----------

What hardware version do you have? I have 004. In settings.

kremer4

Feb 6, 2010
Was wondering about this too. Had a DNA that I could see clearly with sunglasses. I may try to exchange mine.

---------- Post added at 07:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 AM ----------

What hardware version do you have? I have 004. In settings.

Same, 004

Dodge DeBoulet

Mar 4, 2012
I see some shift in color and a bit of shimmering when viewing the screen through polarized lenses, but it's still clearly readable at all angles. On the other hand, when viewing my laptop at severe angles the display is nearly black. Looks like I got lucky.

Lazy8

Apr 24, 2011
Sacramento
I have 004 as well....but what does that mean? The original thread didn't mention anything about hw versions...I did manage to copy my screen panel type from /proc/last_mesg/
ezu2y9ag.jpg

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Gamerbuilt1

Mar 28, 2014
Cleveland
Hardware version 0004
No problem with polarized sunglasses

Last edited:

Jakobud

Account currently disabled
Jan 4, 2012
I have T-Mobile HTC One m8 hardware version 0005 and I DO have the polarized sunglasses problem. Is this a manufacturing defect?

RikRong

Feb 16, 2013
Google Pixel 5
Google Pixel 6a
I have T-Mobile HTC One m8 hardware version 0005 and I DO have the polarized sunglasses problem. Is this a manufacturing defect?
They probably just used a different, polarized glass when they built your batch. Polarization bends light. If you try to view polarized glass through polarized glasses, it won't work out so well. Aircraft instruments are made with polarized glass, that's why pilots can't wear polarized lenses. Next time you're at Wally-World, grab two pairs of polarized glasses, face them at each other and rotate one pair 90 degrees. It will be nearly impossible to see through them.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

earthtodigi

Dec 1, 2007
Irmo, SC
I'm curious to know what happens when someone who is having the issue turns the phone 90 degrees to landscape, can you see it then?

earthtodigi

Dec 1, 2007
Irmo, SC
Seriously? Does what I was saying not make sense to you?

If you can't see the screen when wearing polarized lenses, it could be because the polarization lines are running perpendicular to one another, therefore blocking out all of the light. If you turn the phone 90 degrees, it would then align the polarization lines, allowing you to see the screen. Just like the post above mine explained with the sunglasses at Walmart, it would likely be the same thing, and show that the difference between the two hardware versions is just the direction of polarization in the glass.

Reactions: lorddunlow

whowasthatguy

Mar 6, 2011

If you can't see the screen when wearing polarized lenses, it could be because the polarization lines are running perpendicular to one another, therefore blocking out all of the light. If you turn the phone 90 degrees, it would then align the polarization lines, allowing you to see the screen. Just like the post above mine explained with the sunglasses at Walmart, it would likely be the same thing, and show that the difference between the two hardware versions is just the direction of polarization in the glass.

I got what you were saying, but screen orientation makes no difference with my sunglasses - I actually use my phone in landscape as much as in portrait. Viewing angle makes much more difference with my sunglasses - head on, I see nothing, but turn a few degrees to the side and it's fine.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.