Hard bricked during CM9 upgrade from UCLD3 Leak?!

Search This thread

avus_m3

Mar 21, 2009
Forgot to mention, I stopped by the service center Friday and picked up what appears to be a new phone (not refurbished)! Not only that...after talking to the girl behind the counter she hooked me up with a new (spare) battery shipped to my house. Time to root and get back on CM9 (or AOKP). From now on the only "leak" I will have is the one I leave in the toilet.

w1209

Apr 19, 2012
Just thought I'd post an update on my hard bricked phone:
Josh from Mobile Tech Videos got a chance to look at my phone today and according to him the eMMC chip is toast. He was unable to recover it using JTAG. Could it just have been a coincidence that several people hard bricked around the same time or did flashing have something to do with the eMMC chip becoming defective?
Will take my phone back to an ATT service center as soon as I get it back. I don't think I will have much of an issue getting a replacement

Reactions: nakedninja42

nakedninja42

Oct 28, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Josh from Mobile Tech Videos got a chance to look at my phone today and according to him the eMMC chip is toast. He was unable to recover it using JTAG. Could it just have been a coincidence that several people hard bricked around the same time or did flashing have something to do with the eMMC chip becoming defective?
Will take my phone back to an ATT service center as soon as I get it back. I don't think I will have much of an issue getting a replacement

Thanks for letting us know, shouldn't be a problem getting a replacement. Best of luck!

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY

Right now, the general consensus is:
With the exception of I9100 leaks and kernels built from I9100 update4 sources, Samsung ICS kernels for Exynos4 devices have a SERIOUS bug that causes them to do permanent damage to the eMMC chip. This is most likely to occur when doing a major erase operation (such as a wipe in CWM, but a wipe/factory reset in stock 3e recovery is likely to be just as dangerous)
This includes kernels from:
All Epic 4G Touch ICS leaks
All GT-N7000 (International Note) ICS leaks
The UCLD3 I777 leak (probably all of the I777 ICS leaks)
Anything built from the Korean SHW-M250S/K/L bases - this is why there was just a rash of hardbricks with SiyahKernel 3.1rc6 - it was based off of the Korean M250L sources.

Right now the suspicion is that it is due to this:
https://github.com/Entropy512/kerne...59551eaf5afc3d68f2da96b0249937bd5e13#L10R1881

Samsung attempted to fix it with:
https://github.com/Entropy512/kernel_galaxys2_ics/commit/d069cc5cb9f0fd9409ea10d4037e4c0e68701b8e

but they only disabled TRIM and not ERASE (which are related)

Unfortunately there's no way to test this without risk of hardware damage... you can't declare something fixed unless you can reproduce the problem - but you can reproduce this problem once per device repair. So really only Samsung can declare it fixed - but then they'd have to actually interface with the development community.

kLAcK107

Apr 5, 2011
I also got this hard brick.

I flashed from LD3 to Showstock2 to LD3 over the course of the week.Today I tried to goto AKOP.

The phone will not turn on, and charging it just makes it hot.

UPDATE:
Got a new phone from AT&T no charge, within 30 days

Last edited:

w1209

Apr 19, 2012
Thanks for the info Entropy, that makes sense.

I was able to get a replacement from the AT&T Service Center. Since my battery was fully drained they also sent me a replacement, so now I have two batteries as well as a new phone :D

Dux302

Feb 25, 2011
Hoping to offer what I did just in case I can help anyone with a possible bricking situation.
This afternoon I wanted to install a non-secure email client to remove that stupid password but in doing so through CWM I was never able to power back up. The phone had similar symptoms to what people are saying here.
I wasnt able to boot up to do anythign useful to my phone so I tried to flash the stock kernel (The one Entropy has listed) through Odin and while that seemed to work the one would still not come up completely. It was in a rolling reboot until I booted up in the Stock recovery and did a factory reset/clear data... At that point the phone came back up and I was able to root it again and then restore my AOKP nandroid.

I know these are trivial steps and the symptoms for me may be different but just in case they can help someone I posted them.

abhaxus

Nov 18, 2010
Just wanted to chime in from the ET4g community to confirm this is exactly what happens to us on ICS leaks. As stated above it only occurs when flashing on a CWM repack kernel. Mobile ODIN is safe. It Is permanent hardware damage. Nothing will fix it, but I believe that some bricks (ones that will boot to download but can't get past data.img in odin) can have low level repartitions set to avoid the factory data partition. Never done it myself and can't find the link.

Sorry to hear you guys have same bug. I just wanted to confirm it happens in CWM ICS as stated above. To flash or nandroid we Odin or mobile Odin a repacked GB kernel and flash from that CWM.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

Entropy512

Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
Just wanted to chime in from the ET4g community to confirm this is exactly what happens to us on ICS leaks. As stated above it only occurs when flashing on a CWM repack kernel. Mobile ODIN is safe. It Is permanent hardware damage. Nothing will fix it, but I believe that some bricks (ones that will boot to download but can't get past data.img in odin) can have low level repartitions set to avoid the factory data partition. Never done it myself and can't find the link.

Sorry to hear you guys have same bug. I just wanted to confirm it happens in CWM ICS as stated above. To flash or nandroid we Odin or mobile Odin a repacked GB kernel and flash from that CWM.

Yup. It may only affect a small percentage of users, which is why we get dangerous posts from idiots like virus1x of "it's safe for me so it's safe for you" - For example, gokhanmoral was able to wipe multiple times with siyahkernel 3.1rc6 (which was based off of the SHW-M250L update4 sources), but when he released it, multiple users hardbricked. Task650 was able to flash multiple times without trouble - but others hardbricked.

It may only be 2-3% of users that will hardbrick - but that's still WAY too high considering that a properly working kernel has 0% chance of hardbricking unless you do something really stupid, and even then, until this recent rash of broken ICS kernels, JTAG recovery could resurrect you for $50 or so.

Virus1x

Yup. It may only affect a small percentage of users, which is why we get dangerous posts from idiots like virus1x of "it's safe for me so it's safe for you" - For example, gokhanmoral was able to wipe multiple times with siyahkernel 3.1rc6 (which was based off of the SHW-M250L update4 sources), but when he released it, multiple users hardbricked. Task650 was able to flash multiple times without trouble - but others hardbricked.

It may only be 2-3% of users that will hardbrick - but that's still WAY too high considering that a properly working kernel has 0% chance of hardbricking unless you do something really stupid, and even then, until this recent rash of broken ICS kernels, JTAG recovery could resurrect you for $50 or so.

Thanks for flaming me but according to you and post above the kernel leak is what bricks it during the flashing of modem not the modem so my statement that the radio is not the cause was correct its the kernel because if they go to back to gb kernel and flash no problems at all

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Reactions: j510

Entropy512

Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
Thanks for flaming me but according to you and post above the kernel leak is what bricks it during the flashing of modem not the modem so my statement that the radio is not the cause was correct its the kernel because if they go to back to gb kernel and flash no problems at all

dafuq? That's one of the most incomprehensible posts I've ever read.

virus1x said:
LD3 doesn't cause hard bricks I've been using it since it dropped now with absolutely no problems and I flash like a ************

You claim that the UCLD3 leak kernel doesn't cause hardbricks because you've flashed many times with it, but the fact is - IT DOES. Just because you were OK doesn't mean others will be, as evidenced by the fact that gokhanmoral was safe when he tested his rebase on the M250L sources, and task650 flashed many times using the UCLD3 leak without problems. It has nothing to do with modems, I have no freaking clue why you're ranting about modems now.

Didn't Siyah 3.1r6 fry the SGS2?
Only 3.1rc6 is problematic - all other releases are safe.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Right now, the general consensus is:
    With the exception of I9100 leaks and kernels built from I9100 update4 sources, Samsung ICS kernels for Exynos4 devices have a SERIOUS bug that causes them to do permanent damage to the eMMC chip. This is most likely to occur when doing a major erase operation (such as a wipe in CWM, but a wipe/factory reset in stock 3e recovery is likely to be just as dangerous)
    This includes kernels from:
    All Epic 4G Touch ICS leaks
    All GT-N7000 (International Note) ICS leaks
    The UCLD3 I777 leak (probably all of the I777 ICS leaks)
    Anything built from the Korean SHW-M250S/K/L bases - this is why there was just a rash of hardbricks with SiyahKernel 3.1rc6 - it was based off of the Korean M250L sources.

Right now the suspicion is that it is due to this:
    https://github.com/Entropy512/kerne...59551eaf5afc3d68f2da96b0249937bd5e13#L10R1881

Samsung attempted to fix it with:
    https://github.com/Entropy512/kernel_galaxys2_ics/commit/d069cc5cb9f0fd9409ea10d4037e4c0e68701b8e

but they only disabled TRIM and not ERASE (which are related)

Unfortunately there's no way to test this without risk of hardware damage... you can't declare something fixed unless you can reproduce the problem - but you can reproduce this problem once per device repair. So really only Samsung can declare it fixed - but then they'd have to actually interface with the development community.

Well, my phone is non responsive to anything I do and I am unable to get into download mode. I rooted the phone using this guide from creepyncrawley (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1311081).

For a complete device history:

I later installed a nightly of CM9. Everything worked great for the most part with the various nightly builds. I changed to the UCLD3 leak for awhile without hitch.

I needed something off of my stock rooted rom from the thread above so I did a restore...again no problems with the switch. I did have to fix permissions to open some apps.

I switched back to the UCLD3 leak to test data speeds with plans on switch to the new CM 9 nighlty. I booted into recovery and wiped data, cache, and dalvik. I went to install the CM 9 4/17 rom and it checked the rom and started the install. The progress bar never moved at all and after awhile the screen/phone turned off. Since then, the phone is completely unresponsive. I am unable to get into download mode, the cap lights do not turn on...nothing.

What happened...I have no clue. Is there any way I can fix this with the tools here?

This might be a stupid question, but... Dead battery?

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-6
    Cm9 its the devil. You should see how many bricks over in the epic 4touch section. Cm9 needs to be pulled and tested thoroughly. We know they aren't responsible... Well they're right they know about it and release it anyway. That is irresponsible.

You're ridiculous. Why are you on XDA. You shouldn't even be flashing anything to your devices with the level of intellect that you've shown here. The poop I took this morning made more of a difference here on XDA then you did in your post. :D
    Hmm, odd, that's the most likely way to hose you...

Either way, do NOT flash anything or nandroid anything using the CWM-repacked UCLD3 kernel. Do NOT restore any Nandroids made with that kernel. Heimdall/Odin something else FIRST.