[GT-I9305] Australian Samsung Galaxy SIII 4G Root Guide - NOT for other variants

Search This thread

Stellopad

Nov 12, 2012
Optus S3 4G on Virgin Network

Cheers buddy!! worked without a hitch. Am with Virgin Australia who are a sub provider riding the Optus network. I19305 shipped to me had the Optus branding i.e. a few floating apps like Optus TV but they uninstall anyway and the unwanted installed apps etc. The carrier is Virgin. Flashed your file to my phone with Odin and all its all sweet. Not all Virgin phones ship with the Optus branding and I wouldn't tried it is it hadn't.

380AU

Jul 9, 2011
So I could flash the EVR firmware I linked above, and then root with the link you provided?

Zakimuhd

Nov 19, 2012
singapore
I accidenttaly rooted my phone here and all this yes optus crap started apearing. How do i delete the yes optus from my phone as i am not using yes optus as my carrier but instead i am using singtel. My carrier is still singtel but i want the yes optus remove from my phone.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using xda app-developers app

mick.wheelz

May 20, 2008
Brisbane
You would be better off flashing your stock firmware and using ausdim's method of rooting.

as stated several times in this thread, this is the stock optus firmware with root injected. so of course you will get the optus apps.

btemtd

Aug 8, 2012
Maybe change of thread name as i dont think people are getting the point it seems

Zakimuhd

Nov 19, 2012
singapore
So to remove the potus from my phone i need to unroot to official firmware

---------- Post added at 10:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 AM ----------

Wait so will my carrier be change to optus or just remain the same

dbp

Jul 8, 2006
i have root my S3 4g but still cannot opening the OS or application and just wondering if i have successfully rooted it, i have followed your instruction excepted at the step8 of rooting i didnt tick the "F.reset Time" box so jsut wondering if does it have any affect. Thanks

dbp

Jul 8, 2006
I think my phone is bricked: what happened is that I have updated the latest firmware through the device (all forgot about that before rooting) and I rooted the device and now it restarts and got stuck to the Samsung. Could anyone get me just out of this trouble, thanks a lottttttttt

timberwolf60

Apr 2, 2008
Singapore
I think my phone is bricked: what happened is that I have updated the latest firmware through the device (all forgot about that before rooting) and I rooted the device and now it restarts and got stuck to the Samsung. Could anyone get me just out of this trouble, thanks a lottttttttt

Your phone is not brick. Off your phone, Press vol up, power and menu keys at the same time till samsung screen came out the second time, unpresed the power key with menu and vol up key pressed till the recovery screen came out. Done a factory reset. Restarted the phone. Generally this will solved your problem.

Sent from my GT-P5100 using Tapatalk 2

thylocene

Mar 3, 2009
Hi Mick

Have followed you guide for rooting the Samsung GT9305 G4 Optus phone. Odin seems to do its thing and then reboot the phone but the phone just stops at the stage where it displays a flashing SAMSUNG logo. I have tried this a couple of times with the same results. Any ideas as to what might be going wrong.

See attachment for Odin

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 274

timberwolf60

Apr 2, 2008
Singapore
Hi Mick

Have followed you guide for rooting the Samsung GT9305 G4 Optus phone. Odin seems to do its thing and then reboot the phone but the phone just stops at the stage where it displays a flashing SAMSUNG logo. I have tried this a couple of times with the same results. Any ideas as to what might be going wrong.

See attachment for Odin

Read up first few posts on this thread. I recommend to used cf auto root method. Hope your problems can be solved.

Send via i9100 using XDA premium,
ROM: Stock XWLSN
Kernel: Phil XWLSN V4.92.8
superSU 1.25, exFat 64GB

Reactions: occtec

thylocene

Mar 3, 2009
Read up first few posts on this thread. I recommend to used cf auto root method. Hope your problems can be solved.

superSU 1.25, exFat 64GB

Solved it by doing a factory reset. Phone was still rooted but like a knob I allowed the phone to do updates with the net result that the phone is back to an unrooted state.

occtec

Dec 9, 2012
South Australia
Hey guys I know this may not be the right place to ask but nevertheless this is the oz part of the forum. I have a optus i9305 and would appreciate if someone could tell me what is the latest optus modem for these currently this phone has XXBLL5

CHEERS.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using xda premium

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Guide to rooting your Samsung Galaxy SIII 4G - I9305 - Optus firmware

Hi Everyone, so I have been spending the last 3 or 4 days trying to work out how I can gain root access on my I9305.

The only thing I was able to find was horror stories of people bricking their devices...

After a lot of research (and quickly learning how android OS images work!) I was able to generate my own custom rom for the i9305.

2jdnxas.png

246s9i0.png

Things to note:

THIS IS FOR THE AUSTRALIAN I9305 (OPTUS) SGSIII 4G ONLY! DO NOT FLASH THIS IMAGES TO ANY OTHER DEVICE!!!

I will not be responsible for any damage done to your device or PC(s), flashing custom rom's can be risky, so please be careful!

This will most likely wipe your phone, so make sure you backup first!

This rom is 100% stock, it does not remove any optus apps or branding,

This will NOT give you the yellow triangle at boot

the MD5 sums for the files are below

9ef61bf0876b871a5b66ea273fa60079
    I9305_XXALI5_root.z01

10f92f3221b95d545f779da4e8b3233f
    I9305_XXALI5_root.z02

0c0b1415390777d27c24f0ae88ad67d1
    I9305_XXALI5_root.zip

eefe9d3736e69542603ccebd3607c300
    I9305XXALI5_I9305OPSALI5_I9305XXALI5_HOME.tar

to check these, download MD5summer from www.md5summer.org

How did I do it?

I originally created an insecure boot image, flashed it to the device and tried to gain root via adb, however this did not work, so I unpacked the system image file, added the nessicary binaries and repacked it.

Once I had done this, I was able to flash the system image with odin.

What do I need to do?

1. Download Odin (you might be able to use heimdall, however I have not tested this!)

https://hotfile.com/dl/173880315/eee04eb/Odin3_1.85.zip.html

2. Download the image (3 parts, zip files)

hotfile links;
    https://hotfile.com/dl/173881708/7d59bab/I9305_XXALI5_root.zip.html - Part 1
    https://hotfile.com/dl/173888603/d6f37d2/I9305_XXALI5_root.z01.html - Part 2
    https://hotfile.com/dl/173900825/735574a/I9305_XXALI5_root.z02.html - Part 3

Direct links - big thanks to JJJohan1 for the hosting!
    http://www.renscreations.com/i9305/I9305_XXALI5_root.zip - Part 1
    http://www.renscreations.com/i9305/I9305_XXALI5_root.z01 - Part 2
    http://www.renscreations.com/i9305/I9305_XXALI5_root.z02 - Part 3

3. Unzip Odin to an easy to access place (such as your desktop)

4. Unzip the image file to the same directory.

Use either winrar (www.rarlabs.com) or 7-zip (www.7-zip.org) to extract the multi-part zip.

5. Boot your SGS in to download mode
    (power off... then press and hold the power + volume down + home buttons at the same time)

6. Connect your phone to your PC using the cable that came with it.
    If you are using a laptop make sure you connect it to a port on the machine not the docking station (if you have one). If your machine has USB3 try to avoid using the USB3 ports.

7. Open the Odin application
    Make sure your phone is detected, there will be a yellow square in the top left corner (see below screen dump)

8. Make sure it looks similar to the below screen (same options ticked, the .tar file in the 'PDA' section)

v4tdf5.png

9. Press start and wait. Your phone will be flashed and reboot when it is finished.

10. That's It, once the phone has booted you will have root access.
    Hey anyone know a way to remove the Optus boot animation and shut down?

hey mate.

download the following zip file

https://hotfile.com/dl/174393434/730bdb5/bootlogos.zip.html

then copy bootsamsung.qmg to /system/media with permissions of rw-r--r--
    also copy shutdown.qmg to /system/media/video/shutdown with permissions of rw-r--r--

this will give you the stock samsung startup and shutdown logos.

I will be putting these in to a rom I am working on.
    Would you mind elaborating on this a little?

I had intended on doing the same thing but from my own brief research I couldn't determine which files to include in the repack or exactly where they should go.

I am assuming you have packed an su binary, but which version and from where?
    I've also assumed that you used a 'nix box to pack and repack with simg2img or something similar...

I'm not lazy.. honest :) I have a newborn and its so damn hard to find the time to research or play with my new phone at the moment... heh.

oh... and is it yaffs or ext4?

Cheers

I used an ubuntu VM to create the image, and then odin on windows to flash it. However you could use heimdall on linux too.

the system.img file is EXT4.

you need the su binary and a root manager like supersu

su goes in /system/xbin

root manager in /system/app

mkext4 and simg2img to extract/repack the image
    Very clever mick,

Well done.
    Hi Mick

See attachment for Odin

superSU 1.25, exFat 64GB