[Guide] Full system temproot (no traces) [0.11]

Search This thread

fenstre

Jan 9, 2012
Note: this is a mirror post of my other post, because all executables should work on the One X or the One. I've tested this on the One X.
These are instructions (and a helper script) to root the phone without unlocking or installing a recovery partition. It's based on temproot, and is ideal for anyone who doesn't want to modify their system software, or someone without a RUU who wants to make a full dump of their phone for backup in case they want to unroot.

Prerequisites:
- USB debugging should be enabled
- Get temproot from the Firewater folks (based on code by hikezoe and fi01)
- Get the SuperSU or SuperUser APK (I got it from inside this zip): http://download.chainfire.eu/396/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.94.zip
- Get a `su` executable (also inside the same zip): http://download.chainfire.eu/396/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.94.zip
- full-system-temproot.zip from this post and unzip the two files

Instructions:
- The Firewater folks recommend disabling screen lock and rebooting.
- Put SuperSU.apk, su, busybox, and root.sh into /sdcard/Download
- Connect to USB and run:
Code:
adb shell sh /sdcard/Download/root.sh

Follow the instructions, which consist of waiting for the root shell to appear (wait 10 minutes, then see a command prompt starting with "#"), then typing
Code:
/data/local/tmp/root2.sh
and hitting enter.

Note: the difference between this and the "naked" temproot hack is that the naked hack leaves you with a root shell which can run root commands, but no way for installed programs to use root capabilities.

Attachments

• full-system-temproot.zip
    456.1 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

Fears

Feb 20, 2010
Besançon
I will refrain from making a "instruction unclear" joke, but the instruction could really use some improvement.

Andy

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 21, 2008
UK
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
I will refrain from making a "instruction unclear" joke, but the instruction could really use some improvement.

I understand the instructions. Those that don't understand shouldn't do it.
I mean if people can't follow simple instructions that are posted, what chance have they got at doing anything remotely useful with a system dump.

fenstre

Jan 9, 2012
I mean if people can't follow simple instructions that are posted, what chance have they got at doing anything remotely useful with a system dump.
On the other hand, some people live in countries without strong warranty laws. temproot is nice for them, so they don't need to unlock or ever uninstall their phone's default update mechanism.

Which parts? I'm not going to multiply the length of this instruction ten-fold, but I'd like to supplement with links so people understand how to run commands in the adb shell, and other simple but necessary skills.

Fears

Feb 20, 2010
Besançon
It might not be obvious but the little changes you made make the instructions much clearer (for me at least).
As they say: the devil is in the detail.

fenstre

Jan 9, 2012
Can you then unlock the bootloader without wiping the data?
You most certainly can, but I don't know whether anyone knows how. ;)
I'd guess you need S-Off to do this, because the bootloader lock-unlock state is probably stored on a locked partition. You'll most likely need to run a single command to rewrite a byte of data, but it definitely won't be on the /system or /data partitions.

vbaros

Mar 25, 2011
I followed all the instructions but when the script acquires root I just get the root # prompt and can't type anything. So I can't execute the last command.

What could be the problem?

EDIT: It works with the workaround.

Just start adb shell and then execute:
sh /sdcard/Download/root.sh

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Note: this is a mirror post of my other post, because all executables should work on the One X or the One. I've tested this on the One X.
    These are instructions (and a helper script) to root the phone without unlocking or installing a recovery partition. It's based on temproot, and is ideal for anyone who doesn't want to modify their system software, or someone without a RUU who wants to make a full dump of their phone for backup in case they want to unroot.

Prerequisites:
    - USB debugging should be enabled
    - Get temproot from the Firewater folks (based on code by hikezoe and fi01)
    - Get the SuperSU or SuperUser APK (I got it from inside this zip): http://download.chainfire.eu/396/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.94.zip
    - Get a `su` executable (also inside the same zip): http://download.chainfire.eu/396/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.94.zip
    - full-system-temproot.zip from this post and unzip the two files

Instructions:
    - The Firewater folks recommend disabling screen lock and rebooting.
    - Put SuperSU.apk, su, busybox, and root.sh into /sdcard/Download
    - Connect to USB and run:
    Code:
    adb shell sh /sdcard/Download/root.sh

Follow the instructions, which consist of waiting for the root shell to appear (wait 10 minutes, then see a command prompt starting with "#"), then typing
    Code:
    /data/local/tmp/root2.sh
    and hitting enter.

Note: the difference between this and the "naked" temproot hack is that the naked hack leaves you with a root shell which can run root commands, but no way for installed programs to use root capabilities.