[Q] Samsung Apps

Search This thread

einstein910

Apr 7, 2012
Fulton, MS
I have done a lot of searching on this and everything i have found suggests this is not possible but those posts are dated I just want to be sure nothing has changed recently.

I like the stock feel of the i717 with the samsung mms app and the samsung calendar app, touchwiz, etc. There are no official samsung updates after 4.1.2, but is it possible to get the samsung apps/framework working on cm11/cm10.2/AOSP somehow? It doesn't appear that anyone is too interested in doing this, maybe because the level of difficulty, but I would just like to know if it's possible. Maybe port a rom from a newer samsung phone? If its possible but not been done yet, i'm willing to do the work if someone will just point me in the right direction. Thanks.

P.S. This is a Q&A help section and I have done proper research before asking my question. No insults about my lack of knowledge please. I'm not asking anyone to do work for me, I just want advice. Thanks.

ournewhero

Apr 29, 2014
i think the problem is that you're one of the few people who like the samsung apps. a lot of people root their phones or install custom ROMs to have the ability to remove those apps.

good luck, though.

I have done a lot of searching on this and everything i have found suggests this is not possible but those posts are dated I just want to be sure nothing has changed recently.

I like the stock feel of the i717 with the samsung mms app and the samsung calendar app, touchwiz, etc. There are no official samsung updates after 4.1.2, but is it possible to get the samsung apps/framework working on cm11/cm10.2/AOSP somehow? It doesn't appear that anyone is too interested in doing this, maybe because the level of difficulty, but I would just like to know if it's possible. Maybe port a rom from a newer samsung phone? If its possible but not been done yet, i'm willing to do the work if someone will just point me in the right direction. Thanks.

P.S. This is a Q&A help section and I have done proper research before asking my question. No insults about my lack of knowledge please. I'm not asking anyone to do work for me, I just want advice. Thanks.

Last edited:

einstein910

Apr 7, 2012
Fulton, MS
i think the problem is that you're one of the few people who like the samsung apps. a lot of people root their phones or install custom ROMs to have the ability to remove those apps.

good luck, though.

I'm always a minority lol. And I don't like all of them, just a few. Mainly the messaging app, samsung keyboard, and the gallery. And touchwiz with landscape mod is nice too. I just like the feel of a touchwiz rom but with samsung's 18 month support policy, the i717 is left hung out to dry...I wonder how hard it would be to just back-port a i747 rom? Thanks for the reply