Beats Audio - marketing only?

Search This thread

ibanezq

Mar 9, 2007
Warsaw
Dear all
Today I had some spare time to test the overhyped Beats Audio in Sensation XE. I took out my Sennheiser HD650’s and compared the sound from the phone vs. CD player Marantz SA7001.

Outcomes: The sound from phone with Beats Audio is comparable with that of the CD, obviously a bit worse especially at higher frequencies. But generally the tonal balance is well preserved. Now let’s switch off BA in the phone: total disaster!

I think that switching BA off distorts the equalization to make the “on” option sound better.

Now, let’s talk about the included headphones:
I never used in-ear phones – I’m against them for many reasons.
The sound: First of all insistent high frequencies. Dry lows. Overall very poor.

So if you want to buy this phone for good sound quality you also need to buy good quality headphones and throw the BA ones away. For example Sennheiser’s MX980 – that’s what I intend to do.

To recap: I’m not totally disappointed because I bought the phone for the 1.5GHz CPU, bigger battery and qHD. Deep down I knew it would turn out like that.

ronijs19

Jul 1, 2010
Beats audio works only with beats headphone. Others sond like normal.
you need root to activate to all headphones.

Sennheiser’s MX980, realy? in-ear or over-ear is alot beter sound izoleiting. And thats small ones like mx980 not thats comfort like in-ear or over-ear.
But that is just my opinion.

Last edited:

ibanezq

Mar 9, 2007
Warsaw
No. At my phone, BA software working with all headphones (Stock ROM, w/o root).

Last edited:
M

mattbutsko

I've tested Beats thoroughly with several different qualities of head phones and my conclusion is that it's marketing hype.

In reality, you can't radically improve sound quality on the software end - atleast on a smartphone using headphones to hear the music. I have also suspected that HTC lowers the quality of standard audio to make Beats seem better.

Bronyr

Jan 6, 2010
DroidDen
I thought I'd give it a shot to the much hyped beats audio and - Power Amp app is much much more powerful delivering wide variety of sound presets; quality - beats audio is left in the dust. And I'm comparing apples to apples - same phone and headset.

bonesy

Jan 28, 2009
Cornwall, united kingdom
I use my Sensation in my 1k I.C.E Setup. Tbh beats sounds utter crap inside it whereas Dolby Mobile boosts the right parts of the EQ to make my car sound system sound like teh sheeat.
Conclusion...
Beats - cheap stuff overpriced and utter rubbish

Reactions: josephnero

ronijs19

Jul 1, 2010
http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/13/htc-sensation-xe-with-beats-audio-review/
Read this. When you use beats headphone, you get other eq. With no beats headphone is other eq. And beats dont be used un bluethoot. Phone only show beats audio on, but sound output not the same.
beats audio is only eq setings.
Start question: " marketing only? " Yes, marketing style with preinstaled eq settings, some red colors, and beats headset in stock.
But in the end, that is somting diferent and way to get some costumers. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: ibanezq

cryptstyling

Jan 2, 2011
Rotterdam
Dear all
Today I had some spare time to test the overhyped Beats Audio in Sensation XE. I took out my Sennheiser HD650’s and compared the sound from the phone vs. CD player Marantz SA7001.

Outcomes: The sound from phone with Beats Audio is comparable with that of the CD, obviously a bit worse especially at higher frequencies. But generally the tonal balance is well preserved. Now let’s switch off BA in the phone: total disaster!

I think that switching BA off distorts the equalization to make the “on” option sound better.

The sound: First of all insistent high frequencies. Dry lows. Overall very poor.

So if you want to buy this phone for good sound quality you also need to buy good quality headphones and throw the BA ones away. For example Sennheiser’s MX980 – that’s what I intend to do.

To recap: I’m not totally disappointed because I bought the phone for the 1.5GHz CPU, bigger battery and qHD. Deep down I knew it would turn out like that.

Let me buy the Beats headphones from you then if you dont use them.
PM if you want to do that

brilldoctor

Aug 6, 2010
I have beats on my touchpad and even with good speakers it makes no difference

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using XDA App

vincepg13

Jul 23, 2011
You really should try this with beats headphones, as in over head, studios, solo hd or pros...they have a killer combination

And yes its fact HTC rushed and cheaped out on the sensation xe...its all software!! However its still good audio

Bit of a piss take the sensation xl and rezound have built in beats with altered hardware and we just get a software eq...however sounds better then any mobile device I've used so I'm not complaining

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e

mythe

Aug 17, 2011
Don't HD650's need an amp to be really driven properly?
Beats software is usually somewhat gimicky. On HP envy 14 laptops, the beats equalizer software is actually a skin for the default windows settings for frequency boosts.
On the phone any equalizer at all is better than nothing though.
I do like the beats start up splash more than the HTC one.

marmin

Sep 1, 2007
Yorkshire
Google Pixel 6 Pro
BALANCING ARGUMENT!

Guys if you bought this phone to get HQ sound, then you need your bumps feeling. Its a bit like buying a Mini cooper and complaining that its slower than a Porsche!?

If you want hifi go spend money getting a high quality Q deck or something.

I got the Sensation XE hoping it sounded better than the Sensation and guess what? It does!!!!!

I have to use inner ear headphones and have a pair of very tired Sennheiser cx 400 II's which I love. The ibeats are way better and to have them bundled is great.

If you get the XE to use with your existing spangly million pound headphones, then you need to learn to research more before you splurge your cash on a shiny new phone as the Sensation does all this for a tiny amount less a month.

In short, try to get better sounding audio with awesome headphones, mated to a very capable smartphone (1.5gig, don't care if its over, under, or sideways clocked) for less than £28/month. If you do then I'll consider your argument.

This is the 8th HTC I've had (yeah I started with the e100!) and they always release a better phone the minute you buy one, get over it. Learn to love the one your with!!

Reactions: daman215

sly.cooper

Apr 20, 2011
Pune
Hmm.. sad to know that it is not that great as "marketed" :(. As a general user (not in-depth knowledge about sound, high tech headsets), I did found difference in sound. Probably someone with Sensation XE can talk about difference??? I am still enjoying Beats audio :eek:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Dear all

I use my Sensation in my 1k I.C.E Setup. Tbh beats sounds utter crap inside it whereas Dolby Mobile boosts the right parts of the EQ to make my car sound system sound like teh sheeat.
    Conclusion...
    Beats - cheap stuff overpriced and utter rubbish
    http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/13/htc-sensation-xe-with-beats-audio-review/
    Read this. When you use beats headphone, you get other eq. With no beats headphone is other eq. And beats dont be used un bluethoot. Phone only show beats audio on, but sound output not the same.
    beats audio is only eq setings.
    Start question: " marketing only? " Yes, marketing style with preinstaled eq settings, some red colors, and beats headset in stock.
    But in the end, that is somting diferent and way to get some costumers. :)
    BALANCING ARGUMENT!

Guys if you bought this phone to get HQ sound, then you need your bumps feeling. Its a bit like buying a Mini cooper and complaining that its slower than a Porsche!?

If you want hifi go spend money getting a high quality Q deck or something.

I got the Sensation XE hoping it sounded better than the Sensation and guess what? It does!!!!!

I have to use inner ear headphones and have a pair of very tired Sennheiser cx 400 II's which I love. The ibeats are way better and to have them bundled is great.

If you get the XE to use with your existing spangly million pound headphones, then you need to learn to research more before you splurge your cash on a shiny new phone as the Sensation does all this for a tiny amount less a month.

In short, try to get better sounding audio with awesome headphones, mated to a very capable smartphone (1.5gig, don't care if its over, under, or sideways clocked) for less than £28/month. If you do then I'll consider your argument.

This is the 8th HTC I've had (yeah I started with the e100!) and they always release a better phone the minute you buy one, get over it. Learn to love the one your with!!
    want good headphones?

get some Grado or high end Sennheisers.

don't believe in the hype.