• uploadfromtaptalk1352923745253.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1352923745253.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 927
Reactions: Stefa.

GR36

Apr 1, 2011
Hi
1) can you also upload a picture of your battery under settings
('last time since you charged' that screen)

2) how is the call quality. Reviews say that it is bad.

Thx a lot

I have them on my phone, will upload when i have a few minutes. But battery is hmmmmmm a bit rubbish. about on par with stock GNex

Call quality of fine, but vibrates through the back of the phone for some reason. as t you can feel it on you finger.
speaker phone is rubbish.

Reactions: aDVnatgae

BravoMotorola

Oct 17, 2010
I have them on my phone, will upload when i have a few minutes. But battery is hmmmmmm a bit rubbish. about on par with stock GNex

Call quality of fine, but vibrates through the back of the phone for some reason. as t you can feel it on you finger.
speaker phone is rubbish.

Damn. All I can say is thats slightly disappointing

Sent from my MB860 using xda app-developers app

jb91

Nov 14, 2012
Phone gets hot but not loads. And seems to go quick

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

So this is pretty much the non-freezer result from anandtech. Which basically proves that even on the final device, this problem is not fixed. Definitely not gonna buy this phone now, unless Google / LG announces some kind of fix for this overheating.

Reactions: PoXFreak

GR36

Apr 1, 2011
So this is pretty much the non-freezer result from anandtech. Which basically proves that even on the final device, this problem is not fixed. Definitely not gonna buy this phone now, unless Google / LG announces some kind of fix for this overheating.

It doesn't over heat. Its not as bad as the s3 I had

GR36

Apr 1, 2011
Damn. All I can say is thats slightly disappointing

Sent from my MB860 using xda app-developers app

Like I say about same as stock galaxy nexus. I good kernel would improve it. And I have mostly been online xda twitter etc. That's first full charge to

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1352927108779.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1352927108779.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 925
  • uploadfromtaptalk1352927119220.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1352927119220.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 808

GR36

Apr 1, 2011
The phone itself is amazing don't get me wrong. The design and zero lag at all anywhere. The screen is so responsive

Reactions: Naitsaves

jb91

Nov 14, 2012
It doesn't over heat. Its not as bad as the s3 I had

It doesn't overheat, but that's just because it throttles down. The scores you just posted pretty much match exactly the non-freezer results from anandtech's performance review. Which proves there is a problem that no other phone has, or at least i've never heard of it on any other phone: Thermal throttling. That's why the benchmarks show way worse results, than what you would expect from this hardware.

raptir

May 4, 2010
It doesn't overheat, but that's just because it throttles down. The scores you just posted pretty much match exactly the non-freezer results from anandtech's performance review. Which proves there is a problem that no other phone has, or at least i've never heard of it on any other phone: Thermal throttling. That's why the benchmarks show way worse results, than what you would expect from this hardware.

Every phone performs thermal throttling. Your laptop performs thermal throttling. Thermal throttling is not a problem. The problem is the thresholds being set too low.

Reactions: Stefa.

jb91

Nov 14, 2012
Every phone performs thermal throttling. Your laptop performs thermal throttling. Thermal throttling is not a problem. The problem is the thresholds being set too low.

That is your assumption. I hope that's the reason for it too. But I think LG just screwed up on the hardware part of this device.

I have never heard of thermal throttling on a non-overclocked device, btw. But then, i'm not sure if you're right, that other phones do this too. Would you mind showing me some kind of proof for this (for example like the proof for the N4, huge difference in benchmark results when it's in a freezer)?

EDIT: and btw, why would they just lower the throttling threshold on android 4.2? there is no reason at all for them to do this, so i highly doubt that's what's causing these problems on the n4.

Last edited:

Stefa.

May 6, 2011

I completly agree with you!

According to me, the only thing we can do to "take off" this doubt is to detect the CPU/GPU temp during the benchmarks.. i hope it's possible.

MyronJ906

Apr 22, 2008
That is your assumption. I hope that's the reason for it too. But I think LG just screwed up on the hardware part of this device.

I have never heard of thermal throttling on a non-overclocked device, btw. But then, i'm not sure if you're right, that other phones do this too. Would you mind showing me some kind of proof for this (for example like the proof for the N4, huge difference in benchmark results when it's in a freezer)?

EDIT: and btw, why would they just lower the throttling threshold on android 4.2? there is no reason at all for them to do this, so i highly doubt that's what's causing these problems on the n4.

If my memory serves me right, the Motorola Atrix 4G (I used to own one) experienced thermal throttling once overclocked to a certain point, so benchmark scores did get higher when placed in a freezer). I know, you mentioned never seeing it on a non-overclocked device, but that shows that it *is* in the phone regardless.

The thermal throttling most likely wouldn't have been added to 4.2, but part of the processor itself. Once we have kernels, someone will figure out how to tweak the values to a point still safe, but high enough to increase performance consistently.

Better to go too low than to high though, right? Mass consumers will be able to just grab it and use it, people who want a monster can raise the thresholds at their own risk.

raptir

May 4, 2010

Under normal operation, you're not going to see the effects of thermal throttling. With laptops/desktops you do typically only see it with overclocked processors because the fans are designed to keep the processors cool at their stock clock rates. If you Google Thermal Throttling you'll find dozens of topics and websites talking about it. Processors scale themselves back in order to prevent themselves from burning out. Since that only occurs over ~80C with Intel processors, you're typically not going to see that unless you've screwed around with your computer.

In Linux, thermal throttling is handled by ACPI. I don't really know enough about what Android takes and doesn't take from Linux to be able to tell you where it is controlled in Android, but it would be on a device-by-device basis. The temperature of 40C posted earlier in this thread is laughably low to be scaling back the processor for temperature issues.

Reactions: PoXFreak

jb91

Nov 14, 2012
Under normal operation, you're not going to see the effects of thermal throttling. With laptops/desktops you do typically only see it with overclocked processors because the fans are designed to keep the processors cool at their stock clock rates. If you Google Thermal Throttling you'll find dozens of topics and websites talking about it. Processors scale themselves back in order to prevent themselves from burning out. Since that only occurs over ~80C with Intel processors, you're typically not going to see that unless you've screwed around with your computer.

In Linux, thermal throttling is handled by ACPI. I don't really know enough about what Android takes and doesn't take from Linux to be able to tell you where it is controlled in Android, but it would be on a device-by-device basis. The temperature of 40C posted earlier in this thread is laughably low to be scaling back the processor for temperature issues.

Alright, so there is still hope possibly. It just seems very strange to me, when a non-overclocked device needs to throttle down because it gets too hot (if it actually does get too hot, anyway). Devices should be constructed in a way that they can handle the heat dissipation, as long as the hardware hasn't been tampered with (i.e. when it hasn't been overclocked). If it can't handle this, then in my opinion, the device is defective. So i'm definitely hoping that this is not the case, and that in fact it's just the threshold being set too low.

So as someone said before, it would be very interesting to actually measure the chip temperature during (or right after) these benchmarks, to see, what's going on. Is that possible somehow?

jacklebott

Oct 22, 2010
Land of the Idiots

I thought it was 60C that it throttles at?

jb91

Nov 14, 2012
I've not heard of it throttling at all under normal use, only benchmarks though

That's probably because under normal use, it would be really hard to notice any throttling. Cause even if it does throttle, it's gonna be more than capable to do the usual, easy stuff, i.e. writing mails, texting, and so on. So the only thing we can do at the moment is find out what's causing the throttling (either temperature is actually getting too hot, or threshold too low).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    From an italian forum, telefonino.net (user carter07)

After reviewing the file config nexus 4 and G dell'optimus I came to the conclusion that the problem is not the thermal limit reached by the cpu / gpu which is assumed to be 60C, may mislead the fact that the file is wrote that the threshold is 60C but when it reaches this temperature the kernel does not perform any action and therefore does not lower the frequency, the only action that depends on the temperature of the soc is when the temperature reaches 120C, in this case immediately turns off the terminal to prevent damage.

The lowering of the operating frequency of the components takes place only and exclusively according to the battery temperature (sensor batt_therm), based on the temperature of the same system restricts the components that consume more (and therefore more stress to the battery thermally) or, cpu , gpu, lcd brightness and another value called 'battery' which I think is related to the voltage of the battery, in particular:

1) when it reaches 37 degrees you lower the cpu to 1.29 ghz (default 1.51 GHz) and the GPU at 325MHz (default 400mhz)
    2) when you go over 39 degrees is lowered to 1.1 ghz cpu and gpu to 200 mhz

the latter case is what happens in many benchmarks Anandtech in which the graphical results are 55-60% of the max and those for calculating the cpu are approximately 70% of max in some bench.

The review Italian who spoke a maximum temperature of 40C phone has not thrown a random value but will have measured the temperature of the battery through some app, it actually corresponds precisely to the value found before or the value that the kernel does everything to maintain.

Instead, the config file dell'optimus G says:
    1) when it reaches 43 degrees is lowered to 1.29 ghz cpu and gpu to 325MHz
    2) when you go over 45 degrees is lowered to 1.1 ghz cpu and gpu to 200 mhz

then the limit values ​​for the optimus G 6C are higher, not a small thing.

I have no idea what value to reach the temperature of the battery cell as my other does not have the sensor, it would be interesting to see how the other cell galaxy nexus at which temperature reaches the battery to make a comparison.
    Phone gets hot but not loads. And seems to go quick

If no one has done it before Monday when I get my N4 I will do it...
    It matters not whether the phone can't handle the benchmarks - the real question is - can it handle the actual games?

The question is also: Is this phone future-proof? It might be able to handle today's games and apps, but let's face it. The hardware is made for tomorrow's games. Will it be able to handle these, or will the throttling make it too weak for that? That's what the benchmarks will show.
    Yes it does heat. I need to charge it so will be while before I can do a full test