[Q] Why are my ringer and notification volumes NOT linked in ICS?

Search This thread

huskyfan23

Feb 8, 2007
My I9100 is running the stock 4.0.3 ICS update that was installed via Kies. Everything I've read says that ICS links the ringer and notification volumes, but this has not been my experience.

My volume rocker only changes the ringer volume. I verified this by installing Persist Volume Control and watching as only the ringer volume changes.

Does anyone know what's wrong? This behavior seems different from everyone elses'.

Thanks!

It_ler

Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S8
Samsung Galaxy S10
My I9100 is running the stock 4.0.3 ICS update that was installed via Kies. Everything I've read says that ICS links the ringer and notification volumes, but this has not been my experience.

My volume rocker only changes the ringer volume. I verified this by installing Persist Volume Control and watching as only the ringer volume changes.

Does anyone know what's wrong? This behavior seems different from everyone elses'.

Thanks!

As I always want to control the volume levels of each media type separately, I am happy that the ringer and notification volume level are not linked.
But I am using Elixir Widget app from the Play store to change the volume levels and save my volume profile(s).
Usually, I do not change the volume level by the volume key.

atifsh

Sep 24, 2009
Islamabad
Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1335289241389.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1335289241389.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 343

huskyfan23

Feb 8, 2007

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 216
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 177

micropizza

May 25, 2012
London
....My volume rocker only changes the ringer volume. I verified this by installing Persist Volume Control and watching as only the ringer volume changes...

exactly the same problem. They're obviously supposed to be linked because every single google result except this one is ICS users trying to separate the link complaining they want that feature back

Attached a screenie of my offical O2 kies-updated ICS 4.0.3 volume screen, showing they're not linked...

constantly missing texts because i just use the volume rocker to turn up my phone forgetting it doesnt turn up notifications like Gingerbread used to :(

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-05-25-09-49-55.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-05-25-09-49-55.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 103

huskyfan23

Feb 8, 2007
exactly the same problem. They're obviously supposed to be linked because every single google result except this one is ICS users trying to separate the link complaining they want that feature back

Attached a screenie of my offical O2 kies-updated ICS 4.0.3 volume screen, showing they're not linked...

constantly missing texts because i just use the volume rocker to turn up my phone forgetting it doesnt turn up notifications like Gingerbread used to :(

Glad I'm not alone... but maybe us 2 are? :p

jebuchanan

May 10, 2012
GB I have the option to link or keep separate.
I personally prefer separate control over these settings.
Why would you wish to permanently link them?
Could you not simply just set these values where you wish them individually and be satisfied?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA

bored_stupid

Jul 10, 2011
Hereford
How hard is it to turn one or both up or down. Custom settings are what makes a phone individual.Personally i like the idea they are not linked. My ringer can be turn full on or off and my notifications to just a whisper...Perfect.

huskyfan23

Feb 8, 2007
GB I have the option to link or keep separate.
I personally prefer separate control over these settings.
Why would you wish to permanently link them?
Could you not simply just set these values where you wish them individually and be satisfied?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA
If I want my ringer to be quiet, I want my notifications to also be quiet. I should be able to do this via the volume rocker, like I can on my One X, and used to be able to do prior to my I9100's ICS update.
How hard is it to turn one or both up or down. Custom settings are what makes a phone individual.Personally i like the idea they are not linked. My ringer can be turn full on or off and my notifications to just a whisper...Perfect.

It's quite a nuisance if I want them to be adjusted concurrently.

I've read that ICS is supposed to force (or give the option of) linking, which is the point of my thread. Is this only the case for every phone except the I9100?

micropizza

May 25, 2012
London
How hard is it to turn one or both up or down. Custom settings are what makes a phone individual.

Its not a custom setting, this is supposed to be stock ICS, i certainly wouldnt have chose to have this crap feature.

It now takes 4 presses to get to the menu every time you wander into a quiet situation, and then another 4 when you leave it (not including actually moving the volume sliders).

I personally find that very annoying when there's a volume control on the side of my phone.

asdfasd2

Aug 26, 2008
Is there a way to implement this on stock Samsung ICS (Touchwiz)? Tried quick settings but the option is greyed out.

Thanks

tstretch

Jan 20, 2009
Everything I've read says that ICS links the ringer and notification volumes, but this has not been my experience.

Evidence please .

jje

I've had this issue too. Thought the volume buttons should control both ringer and notifications but they didnt. Im running Caulkin's ICS rom too so that may have something to do with it. Regardless, after MUCH searching and downloading of apps that I thought would do this but they didn't, I finally found an app that did this for me! Quick Settings by Halfbit - note that there are two apps by different developers called the same thing. I didn't try the other one but this one worked.

Strange though, the selection to link the notification and ringer volumes is checked, but grayed out. So guess you have to uninstall the app to change this configuration..

Gibson99

Glad I'm not alone... but maybe us 2 are? :p

Apparently not. Stock/ota ics for droid4 also removes the checkbox to allow you to link the volumes if you want to. I want to link them as well so when i turn it down at a meeting, i don't get blown out of my chair when i get a text.

Setting everything once and forgetting it doesn't work for a lot of people. For me, i need it quiet at work, then loud while not at work so i can hear ringer/sms sounds over road noise/music while driving, or if i leave my phone upstairs at home. I use moto's smart actions to handle the volume changing automatically (think of it as a gimped version of tasker) but now that ringtone and notification vol are no longer linkable, and smart actions can't control notification volume, i consider it to be broken. It turns down ringer vol just fine, but notifications are still crazy loud. Very annoying. Can't wait for cm9 (or even 10) for the droid4!