(observation thread) 4.2.2 discussion

Search This thread

bongostl

Apr 28, 2010
Hey all

I thought I works start a thread to discuss our observations of the update. This day we can keep other threads clean.

First and foremost, the n7 feels smooth again to me.

I was really sick of how slow it felt on 4.2.1....this seems to have fixed that.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

xtcme

Dec 14, 2012
Hey all

I thought I works start a thread to discuss our observations of the update. This day we can keep other threads clean.

First and foremost, the n7 feels smooth again to me.

I was really sick of how slow it felt on 4.2.1....this seems to have fixed that.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
I agree smoother and much faster it seems, boot was almost instant, I installed a game I use to play and it starts faster and runs better. Can say I am very pleased.

bubbleguuum

Dec 23, 2010
Although ADB from a PC works fine, ADB in loopback mode on a rooted device seems broken:

starting adb in loopback (commands entered on the device itself):

Code:
setprop service.adb.tcp.port 5555
stop adbd
start adbd
adb connect localhost

any adb command after that (like "adb shell ...") will fail with "error device offline", which is confirmed with adb devices:

Code:
shell@android:/ $ adb devices
adb devices
List of devices attached
localhost:5555  offline

This worked perfectly in previous versions...

met67

Apr 16, 2007
Although ADB from a PC works fine, ADB in loopback mode on a rooted device seems broken:

starting adb in loopback (commands entered on the device itself):

Code:
setprop service.adb.tcp.port 5555
stop adbd
start adbd
adb connect localhost

any adb command after that (like "adb shell ...") will fail with "error device offline", which is confirmed with adb devices:

Code:
shell@android:/ $ adb devices
adb devices
List of devices attached
localhost:5555  offline

This worked perfectly in previous versions...

This must be related to Google enforcing RSA authentication with ADB: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2144709

mk69

Sep 16, 2007
Google Nexus 5
Android Wear
Agreed feels smoother than 4.2.1 before upgraded to 4.2.2 I would encounter lag anytime there is any WiFi data transmission, eg... when downloading and installing an application, when updating or syncing an application, thing use to lag till WiFi was done transmitting and doing whatever it was doing. It seems fine now on 4.2.2

Happy with my n7 again!!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app

RobBull69

Oct 9, 2009
Chicago
It actually seemed a lot slower than 4.2.1 at first, but, after a few reboots, the butter is back. I didn't notice that I lost root until I rebooted a few times, so that could've been the cause of the lag, as apps were probably looking for su in the background.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

I'm yet to install it but here's the changelog from wiki:

Fixed Bluetooth audio streaming bugs[102]
Long-pressing the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth icons in Quick Settings now toggles the on/off state
New download notifications, which now shows the percentage and an estimated time remaining for your app downloads while they are happening
New sounds for wireless charging and low battery.
Removed option to show all calls in the phone app's call list.
New Gallery app animation allows faster loading.
USB Debug whitelist
Bug fixes and performance enhancements

dareino

May 7, 2012
Just curious on how soon Devs roll out updates to their Roms,Kernels and Toolkits. This was my first OTA on a custom rom so I am eager to get back to my custom tablet.

d

tabuser

Dec 12, 2010
Based on some initial less than positive reports of performance issues with Android 4.2, I kept my Nexus 7 wifi at 4.1.2.

Should I take take the leap and upgrade to 4.2.2 now, or wait a bit before doing so for the OS to be more thoroughly evaluated?

D

Darth

I don't see much of a difference on 4.2.2 really. But it isn't worse anyway! LOL

I do miss my custom rom features and options. I certainly will be flashing custom 4.2.2 roms as soon as they start dropping! ;)

Sent from my cell phone telephone....

br0adband

Mar 28, 2008
I'm running 4.2.2 rooted and unlocked for the 3rd time in two days now (since it was released) and I've yet to encounter any so-called "issues" with ADB like so many others seem to be having. I have the latest Android SDK drivers direct from Google since those are truly the only ones anyone should be using, period, and I've flashed/reflashed/rooted/unrooted/locked/unlocked in both Windows 7 and Ubuntu several times now without a single issue either.

Not sure why people have so many issues with these things, all the info you require is out there - I read the same threads everyone else does but it sure seems like everyone else reports problems 100x more than I've ever even encountered personally.

If you want to go back to 4.2.1 you're going to have to flash the 4.2.1 factory image from Google, and there are like 9 ways to do such a thing, the most obvious and sure-fire method is using one of the toolkits but you must - I repeat you must have the ADB drivers working properly if it's Windows, and again the only ones I'll even bother with are from Google direct (the ones I'm using right now were pulled from the most current SDK and are dated 8/12/2012 with a version number of 7.0.0.1).

Once that's accomplished both ADB and fastboot work without issues for me, never had a problem at all worth even mentioning and I have 11 Android devices that I mess around with near-constantly from this Nexus 7 all the way back to my trusty HTC HD2.

If you can't get it working in Windows, then Ubuntu is the next best course using the instructions at the bottom of this page to flash the Nexus 7 back to pure stock 4.2.1 which works flawlessly:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Nexus7/Installation#Returning_your_Nexus_7_to_Stock_Android

Note: you have to install that Ubuntu Nexus 7 Desktop Installer thing at the top of that page, takes seconds to install (it's just a tiny GUI for command line tools but you won't be using the GUI, it handles the drivers and ADB/fastboot setup as well).

If you're unable to get it functional with that info, well... 4.2.2 ain't bad at all, really. ;)

Reactions: Larry94

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm yet to install it but here's the changelog from wiki:

Fixed Bluetooth audio streaming bugs[102]
    Long-pressing the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth icons in Quick Settings now toggles the on/off state
    New download notifications, which now shows the percentage and an estimated time remaining for your app downloads while they are happening
    New sounds for wireless charging and low battery.
    Removed option to show all calls in the phone app's call list.
    New Gallery app animation allows faster loading.
    USB Debug whitelist
    Bug fixes and performance enhancements
    I don't know, terms like microlag are just to the point where I stop reading. I used my tablet enough this morning to the point where everything that I wanted to do ran smoothly, well above my expectations. I guess that's enough for me. I'd rather enjoy my tablet than critique it to that extent.
    Geez, guys enough with the childish chit chats. There is micro lag on all platforms, iOS included, scroll to the left (search bar) and u'll see what i mean. Android too has it's hick ups from time to time, but i think it has come a long way since the days of eclair and froyo (many of u won't even know what i'm talking about). Anyways, if iOS has stutters with it's minimalistic features (no widgets, no app drawer, tiled icons, hell, u couldn't even change the wallpaper till a while back), i'd live with android's microlag and enjoy all what it offers.
    I have a friend who keeps switching between ios and android, and everytime he gets an android device he keeps complaining about the micro lags that no one but him notices (to the extent he calls it lagdroid) , and he's never satisfied. but this, mate, is not called "perfectionist" , it's a mental state, u keep looking and fetching for a single hick up, u'll never be satisfied whatever u use.
    As a med student, i advise u to get out of that "state of mind" and just enjoy whatever device u have. getting frustrated about lil things like that will only get u a stroke before u even hit 40.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium
    I searched for this but came up empty. Is USB otg still broken on 4.2.2? That's the reason o stayed on 4.1.1 using stickmount

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I'm able to use my otg cable & flash drive with stick mount. Both read & write access both works for me. No problems that I can see with it.

Sent from my Nexus 7
    R: (observation thread) 4.2.2 discussion

they also (finally) fixed the ugly gradient !

Inviato dal mio Nexus 7 con Tapatalk 2