How to stop system update from popping up???

Search This thread

justen7723

Apr 3, 2011
toledo
can someone point me i'm the direction of this thread? i've seen it b4 but haven't been able to find it now. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

ÜBER™

Recognized Themer
Nov 9, 2011
Texas
Let it install it will fail pop out the battery and it will boot into cwm then just reboot ;)

Sent From My "epic" SPH-D700 via XDA Premium

Reactions: justen7723

KennyG123

Senior Moderator / Mod Committee / Spider-Mod
Staff member
Nov 1, 2010
Right behind you!
What Biggie said. The threads you are looking for are in General. As long as you are not fully stock it will fail and probably boot into CWM after popping battery and rebooting. Just hit reboot system.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

mikebarr

Mar 28, 2011
I have allowed it to fail, let it boot to CWM, but it just keeps coming back. It is quite annoying. Does anybody have a way to stop it?

monke30butt

Feb 22, 2011
Google Fotakill. It is an app you have to put in your system\app directory.

I tried FOTAKILL, it worked when I was on EC05 to stop the OTA prompt.
But it's not working for me this time. The only thing that stops it for a while is doing like you said. Accepting the update & letting it fail. It came back again one time since then & I did the same thing, this has fixed it for now. But I do still have foatakill installed if that matters.

At least I have a way to stop the prompt for a week or so. I'm just waiting for CleanGB MTD to be updated.

jerm1027

Dec 24, 2010
Not sure if it's any help, but according to the Sprint Rep I spoke with, all security updates come from Samsung. If that is true, its very disturbing. I have used the superfreeze and am running a gingerbread based rom already that does NOT have Carrier IQ. I did find the update zip in the system cache and deleted it, but no luck. The update pops up less often though, but still annoying. With that said, Samsung still has access to download files without consent, dispite a root command to freeze updates. Again very disturbing. [:(]

flastnoles11

Nov 16, 2011
Palm bay
OnePlus 9 Pro
Not sure if it's any help, but according to the Sprint Rep I spoke with, all security updates come from Samsung. If that is true, its very disturbing. I have used the superfreeze and am running a gingerbread based rom already that does NOT have Carrier IQ. I did find the update zip in the system cache and deleted it, but no luck. The update pops up less often though, but still annoying. With that said, Samsung still has access to download files without consent, dispite a root command to freeze updates. Again very disturbing. [:(]

Check the op of my thread in general on how to stop the update message for a PERMANENT fix to the update message...

Sent from my CM9'd epic!

DaggettBeaver

Aug 3, 2011
I copied this from a thread in development. This works great. Open up an adb shell. Copy/paste this and run it. It modifies the build.prop file to identify your system as 2.3.6, which will stop the update prompts.

Code:
su
remount rw
sed -i 's/SPH-D700-user 2.3.5 GINGERBREAD EI22 release-keys/SPH-D700-user 2.3.6 GINGERBREAD EL30 release-keys/g' /system/build.prop
sed -i 's/sprint\/SPH-D700\/SPH-D700:2.3.5\/GINGERBREAD\/EI22:user\/release-keys/sprint\/SPH-D700\/SPH-D700:2.3.6\/GINGERBREAD\/EL30:user\/release-keys/g' /system/build.prop
remount ro

flastnoles11

Nov 16, 2011
Palm bay
OnePlus 9 Pro
I copied this from a thread in development. This works great. Open up an adb shell. Copy/paste this and run it. It modifies the build.prop file to identify your system as 2.3.6, which will stop the update prompts.

Code:
su
remount rw
sed -i 's/SPH-D700-user 2.3.5 GINGERBREAD EI22 release-keys/SPH-D700-user 2.3.6 GINGERBREAD EL30 release-keys/g' /system/build.prop
sed -i 's/sprint\/SPH-D700\/SPH-D700:2.3.5\/GINGERBREAD\/EI22:user\/release-keys/sprint\/SPH-D700\/SPH-D700:2.3.6\/GINGERBREAD\/EL30:user\/release-keys/g' /system/build.prop
remount ro

Yep same method in my thread in general

KennyG123

Staff member
Nov 1, 2010
Right behind you!
Noooo...your method was in General so it must not be right...only the one from Development should work...LOL.

Reactions: flastnoles11

discodan7700

Dec 18, 2011
DeviceManagement.apk

I have an epic 4g on rooted with cwm and cleangb. I have been irritated with the frequent system update messages I have been rec'ing lately. Yes, letting it install and then pulling the battery works fine. But I have also been looking for a way to stop the update service from running in my phone. Here's what I did:

I checked Titanium Backup ( free version ) and found "System Updates" in the list of apps under the backup/restore tab. The list wasn't sorted so I had to scroll and carefully scan each app-name to find it. Then I started to uninstall it, but I cancelled when I was prompted whether or not to uninstall DeviceManagement.apk. Now that I know the apk, I don't need to uninstall, I can rename, right? Then I went to root-explorer and browsed to /system/app. Then I hit the button to mount r/w; then I renamed DeviceManagement.apk to DeviceManagement.apk.bak. Rebooted and checked menu -> settings -> Applications to see if System Updates was running. And it's not.

Hopefully this means no more firmware updates... time will tell

hope this helps someone else out there

-disc-

KennyG123

Staff member
Nov 1, 2010
Right behind you!
Why not just edit the build.prop as suggested? Can you still update PRL? I think you will get a network error.

discodan7700

Dec 18, 2011
Just a quick update, I'm still getting update notices. So renaming the .apk def did not work.

Re: build.props

I'm totally ignorant on how to do this. Ill re-read this post from the beginning. I must have missed it.

Thanks to all,

Disc

KennyG123

Staff member
Nov 1, 2010
Right behind you!
Just a quick update, I'm still getting update notices. So renaming the .apk def did not work.

Re: build.props

I'm totally ignorant on how to do this. Ill re-read this post from the beginning. I must have missed it.

Thanks to all,

Disc

With something like root explorer you just long press on build.prop , choose edit text, change all EI22 instances to EL30 and all 2.3.5 to 2.3.6, save and exit then reboot.

RealTic

Dec 15, 2011
Omaha, Nebraska
Why the hell would this annoying pop-up repeatedly come up in the first place... so much for the "users" right to custom ROMS. They always have to sneak some b.s. in to annoy the XDA community. Theres a conspiracy going on at Samsung {-_-}

KennyG123

Staff member
Nov 1, 2010
Right behind you!
Why the hell would this annoying pop-up repeatedly come up in the first place... so much for the "users" right to custom ROMS. They always have to sneak some b.s. in to annoy the XDA community. Theres a conspiracy going on at Samsung {-_-}

I think it is because they consider it a security update to remove CIQ.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium

discodan7700

Dec 18, 2011
Hi,

I finally got back to this. As previously stated, renaming devicemanagement.apk didn't do anything regarding the autoupdate notification. I was indeed nolonger able to do a prl or profile update via home-screen -> menu -> settings -> about phone -> updates. Not only that, but, I got a little foolhardy renaming stuff in /system/app when I started getting the update notices. Long story short, I've gone back thru, re-renamed everything back from .bak to .apk with rootexplorer, and I'm still not getting my vmail downloaded to my phone.

Back on track now... as suggested, I used rootexplorer to edit /system/build.prop. only 2 instances needed to be updated. 1 from EI22 to EL30, and one more a few lines down from that, updating 2.3.5 to 2.3.6. Hopefully this will quiet the autoupdate gremlins.

discodan7700

Dec 18, 2011
Update: rebooted phone, and I still had the update to el30 in my notifications. I suspect that since the update was auto-downloaded pre-updating build.prop that I would continue to get update nags till I did the "go ahead and install update / pull battery" trick one last time.

So I did that one last time hoping that the update will nolonger auto-download since build.prop references the current versions.

Thanks for everyone's help. Hope someone else finds it useful.

-disc-

discodan7700

Dec 18, 2011
Uh-oh, rebooted my phone today and was greeted with an auto-update nastygram. Ill recheck my build.prop. to see if I missed anything. If not, I think there's an adb method described earlier in this thread. Ill try that and report back.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Code:
    su
    remount rw
    remount ro
    Let it install it will fail pop out the battery and it will boot into cwm then just reboot ;)

Sent From My "epic" SPH-D700 via XDA Premium
    Noooo...your method was in General so it must not be right...only the one from Development should work...LOL.