[Q] disabling gmail accounts, from ADB?

Search This thread

jasonmehmel

Nov 22, 2013
Hey all,

I attached my gmail account to the gmail app in my rooted nook. Now, I'm finding that I'm eating a lot more battery life than I used to. I'm guessing it has to do with the work of syncing the google mail. The problem, is that in the app, whenever I get into the settings area for controlling the account, the nook reboots. I'm not sure why.

I'd love to disable the gmail app or otherwise keep it from updating, but I can't get at it from any menus on the device. I was thinking ADB, but I'm open to other ideas.

AN IMPORTANT POINT: I don't want to remove my google account from the device, because I'm loading apps via the Market that way. I just want to stop the gmail mail account app from eating my battery through it's activity!

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
Something is fishy about that Gmail installation. Maybe try reinstalling the app? Or if you used the GappsAttack (or whatever), just redo that.

Failing that, you can disable the apps (as I did when Gmail kept failing to send mail without deleting the accounts and adding them anew--a known issue with older versions of the app) by renaming the apk files as .old or .bak or something. To do that you will need a Root Browser of some sort (like the free app of the same name). Then go to system/app and there rename Gmail.apk and GmailProvider.apk

When I was using Gmail I had it set to check "never", meaning I could check manually when I wanted. Now that I am using the Email.apk provided by NFHimself here I have it set the same way and it works great--all the time.