[Q] I just want to make sure I didn't break something.

Search This thread

nerdkid1337

Sep 10, 2013
Alright. I have quite the damn story for you guys. I had CyanogenMod 10.2 installed on my phone. No problems what so ever. But me being me, I wanted to be on Android 4.4.2 like the cool kids. So I looked through the downloads on the CyanogenMod website for d2spr for CM 11. Couldn't find one.

Upon further reading, all the Galaxy S3 phones had been moved into one big release called "d2lte". I thought this was great, and downloaded the 2014-5-15 nightly. Made a backup of my current CM 10.2, and figured I was all set.

Turns out that I didn't really like the nightly because of a few bugs here and there, so I decided to restore the 10.2 backup I had earlier. Got about half way done re-flashing the 10.2 backup, and it failed. No warning, no error, no nothing. Just was restoring, then paused for a few seconds, went to a black screen, vibrated twice, and went to the CyanogenMod loading screen. So I waited like 20 minutes to see if it would do anything, and it didn't. So I had no choice but to re-flash the nightly I had. I flash GApps from Banks, download Netflix/Nandroid/Greenify, and call it a night.

Cut to this morning where I decide that I want to figure out what the hell is wrong. I make a backup of the current nightly/GApps I have flashed, and then wipe/restore to make sure it worked to avoid later damage. It works, so I go searching. I try all these different fixes until I get to one that involves me formatting my SDCard and then re-copying everything to it again because of some file system problem. I do that, insert/mount the SDCard, and go into recovery. I wipe everything, and try to re-flash the 10.2 backup I have. It still fails and does the sudden failure/CyanogenMod boot thing.

So I go back to ClockworkMod recovery, and wipe. And now that is failing. It gets to wiping the "data" and just black screens, vibrates twice, then boots and says booting forever. I go back to recovery for the 2983472984832798273984 time now, and just say "Screw it. If it fails, Ill wipe the entire damn thing, go back to stock, and restart this entire damn thing that I have been doing successfully for a year now I guess.". I retry flashing the 10.2 backup, failure. I wipe, failure. I then try to flash the nightly backup I had, and it fails too. But this time, it goes black, vibrates twice, and goes into the CyanogenMod boot logo. Doesn't sound that different, but it was much faster this time, so I figured it was doing something different maybe.

I give it a minute, and all of a sudden, I am on the nightly version of CyanogenMod, with all my past phone calls, text messages, applications, website history, etc. Its literally like I just updated from 4.3 to 4.4.2. I have no damn clue as to how I managed to do it, and now my battery is going down even when plugged in.

So, my question to you smart people... did I break something? Should I be expecting a very nicely shaped brick in a few hours or after I restart my phone? What the hell did I do and what should I do to fix the situation? I will be more than happy to go back to stock and re-root, but it will be a pain in my ass because all of my internet is dependent on my wifi tethering because I live in the middle of nowhere(yes, I have unlimited data from Sprint. No they do not send me nasty messages or letters about my data usage. And it is well over 500+ gigs a month.). Please help and/or ask questions if something doesn't make sense. Thank you!

Last edited:

nerdkid1337

Sep 10, 2013
UPDATE: Battery is now going up. May have just been the initial shock on the phone from me going "DO ALL THE THINGS RIGHT NOW OR DIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!11!1111!one" Any ideas from anyone?

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

nerdkid1337

Sep 10, 2013
Do you know what boot loader you're on? What's version of Android was the last stock ROM you used?

And no, I doubt if you've broken anything.

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy SIII with M.O.A.R. v9.0, dkp kernel dated 3/20/2014 and TWRP v2.7.0.0.
Last stock ROM was 4.1.2. Bootloader I honestly have no idea, but I don't think I ever messed with it.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Last stock ROM was 4.1.2. Bootloader I honestly have no idea, but I don't think I ever messed with it.

Cool, with 4.1.2 being the last stock ROM, you won't have to worry about the boot loader. Just to be clear, you've never ODINed or OTAd to 4.3, right? Because if you had, any more answers I give would hard brick your phone.

Are you still having problems or are you happy with it right now?

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy SIII with M.O.A.R. v9.0, dkp kernel dated 3/20/2014 and TWRP v2.7.0.0.

Last edited:
Reactions: nerdkid1337

nerdkid1337

Sep 10, 2013
Cool, with 4.1.2 being the last stock ROM, you won't have to worry about the boot loader. Just to be clear, you've never ODINed or OTAd to 4.3, right? Because if you any more answers I give would hard brick your phone.

I have never upgraded to a newer version of Android or CyanogenMod via OTA or Odin. Always downloading the zip and flashing it via ClockworkMod. The phone works, I am just mostly concerned as to why my ClockworkMod is sucking a fat one.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
TouchWiz (stock, but rooted and modded) 4.4.2 works great for a bunch of us.

I would suggest ODINing this:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2738533

It's what I'm using and it's the best yet. Just make sure and backup all your apps and apps' data only to your external SD card. And then backup everything on your internal "SD" because every single thing but your external SD will be wiped with the tar from that link.

Reactions: nerdkid1337

nerdkid1337

Sep 10, 2013

It's what I'm using and it's the best yet. Just make sure and backup all your apps and apps' data only to your external SD card. And then backup everything on your internal "SD" because every single thing but your external SD will be wiped with the tar from that link.

I will take a look at it tomorrow. I want to be able to watch some Netflix before bed one last time just in case I mess something up to badly. Thank you very much, roirraW "edor" ehT. I really appreciate it. :D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE: Battery is now going up. May have just been the initial shock on the phone from me going "DO ALL THE THINGS RIGHT NOW OR DIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!11!1111!one" Any ideas from anyone?
    Do you know what boot loader you're on? What's version of Android was the last stock ROM you used?

And no, I doubt if you've broken anything.

Cool, with 4.1.2 being the last stock ROM, you won't have to worry about the boot loader. Just to be clear, you've never ODINed or OTAd to 4.3, right? Because if you had, any more answers I give would hard brick your phone.

Cool, with 4.1.2 being the last stock ROM, you won't have to worry about the boot loader. Just to be clear, you've never ODINed or OTAd to 4.3, right? Because if you any more answers I give would hard brick your phone.

I have never upgraded to a newer version of Android or CyanogenMod via OTA or Odin. Always downloading the zip and flashing it via ClockworkMod. The phone works, I am just mostly concerned as to why my ClockworkMod is sucking a fat one.