Current lay of the land question

Search This thread

Moebius01

Jul 4, 2008
Ok, I know I'll be needing my flame retardant suit for this, but I'm in a tight spot and work has made it where won't really have the time I need to dig through the mass of threads for at least a couple weeks.

When I got my S4 in January, it was the first time I didn't even bother dropping a recovery or custom rom on a new Android. Usually I'm running something custom by the next day. In this case, all I did was root, but left it stock. When 4.4. dropped, I froze the OTA update notice so I didn't have to deal with it. So for the last several months, I've been running 4.3 on a rooted MK2 build with no custom recovery or anything else.

Fast forward to now and I've finally hit a point where I either need to try and wipe/reset my current, or more preferred go ahead up to 4.4 and be done with it. That's where the challenge comes in. When last I was looking (a few months back), going from a rooted stock 4.3 to 4.4 was a bit of a nightmare. Is that still the case or has the bootloader finally been dealt with by the mighty devs out there? I've been looking for a sticky or just a thread on if we're back to a good old one-click approach, but so far have come up blank.

Anyone in a position to dodge the fireballs and point me in the right direction?

sponix2ipfw

Jul 21, 2012
Since you are already on a locked boot loader custom recovery is not an option. You may as well unfreeze the OTA and unroot. Then take the OTA to NC5 KitKat and root with towelroot. That is my recommendation...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: Moebius01

Moebius01

Jul 4, 2008
Since you are already on a locked boot loader custom recovery is not an option. You may as well unfreeze the OTA and unroot. Then take the OTA to NC5 KitKat and root with towelroot. That is my recommendation...

Blows my mind that they finally managed an unbeatable bootloader. *50s gangter voice* Curses!!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Or use Odin and the no wipe files and re-root with towel root

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2735172