Z1 Compact audio quality, post your impressions

Search This thread

coolkoushik07

Oct 26, 2009
Kolkata
Well I not a purist and happy with the sony ecosystem as of now. Unlike on samsung where most of the app is not usable. My only gripe is on the sound from a headset which is not loud enough, I am using neutron with audio technica headset. Happy with one x sound quality but the low sound from z1 means that the ooomph not there

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Tapatalk

What do u mean by not usable??

Sent from my Xperia Z1 Compact (D5503)

biggiebro

Jun 2, 2009
Well futures like smartstay etc is not something useful to me.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Tapatalk

Ayhankirca

Feb 16, 2013
It looks like Sony have different hardware versions for this Z Compact.. I am living in Netherland a bought a Z1 compact like 3 weeks ago.. Before that used a Jiayu G3s and therefore another Xperia (Neo V)

I am listening to music on daily use ...hmm.. like 3-4 hours.. This is mostly on my work..
Audio/volume option on my Z1Compact is very poor. Even on the highest volume is still very poor. Comparing with my 2,5 years old Xperia Neo V (Stock ROM) and 1 years old Jiayu G3S (Stock ROM), Z1C is a disappointing. Just rubish. Even with included effects and some applications EQ sets etc still not satified. So i am back to my Neo V to listen music. I have some MDR series head and earphones to listen my music and they are awesome. Even my Chinese rubish Jiayu have more loud and better audio then Z1C with my MDR headphones. Loud/high volume but still very nice sound quality
But i have readed also lot of pozitief comments and some reviews on the internet. Lot of people is very satisfied and happy with audio performance of their own Z1C and this is why i am thinkin that Z1C (maybe) have different (or poor quality) parts or hardware pieces on the body. If it really is, this could be the explanation of this dilemma. Other way i have never expected from a Xperia device so poor audio performance.

Summary: My Z1C as a music player through Head/earphones is worthless, even with good headsets and some audio tricks is still a disaster and very bad.
But a very nice device as an android phone. Still disappointed cos i cannot listen to my lovely tracks with it.
and hell yeah, all of this just my opinion. See as a quick review.

Option58

Recognized Developer
Oct 27, 2011
Serbia
It looks like Sony have different hardware versions for this Z Compact.. I am living in Netherland a bought a Z1 compact like 3 weeks ago.. Before that used a Jiayu G3s and therefore another Xperia (Neo V)

I am listening to music on daily use ...hmm.. like 3-4 hours.. This is mostly on my work..
Audio/volume option on my Z1Compact is very poor. Even on the highest volume is still very poor. Comparing with my 2,5 years old Xperia Neo V (Stock ROM) and 1 years old Jiayu G3S (Stock ROM), Z1C is a disappointing. Just rubish. Even with included effects and some applications EQ sets etc still not satified. So i am back to my Neo V to listen music. I have some MDR series head and earphones to listen my music and they are awesome. Even my Chinese rubish Jiayu have more loud and better audio then Z1C with my MDR headphones. Loud/high volume but still very nice sound quality
But i have readed also lot of pozitief comments and some reviews on the internet. Lot of people is very satisfied and happy with audio performance of their own Z1C and this is why i am thinkin that Z1C (maybe) have different (or poor quality) parts or hardware pieces on the body. If it really is, this could be the explanation of this dilemma. Other way i have never expected from a Xperia device so poor audio performance.

Summary: My Z1C as a music player through Head/earphones is worthless, even with good headsets and some audio tricks is still a disaster and very bad.
But a very nice device as an android phone. Still disappointed cos i cannot listen to my lovely tracks with it.
and hell yeah, all of this just my opinion. See as a quick review.

I don't know why Sony does it but they limit the volume loudness on purpose.
You can remove it try volume boost thread for Stock rom. And on one of my phones (Xperia Miro) Cyanogenmod removed the cap.

komedol

Jun 15, 2011
Right out of the box, in my opinion (and compared to my old LG O2X) when hooked up with my earphone Z1C is too quiet for my liking. But then I installed the Z1C volume mod, and when paired my favorite music player (PowerAmp) and VIPER4Android the volume level increases significantly without any noticable loss in sound quality.

Reactions: BlackArtsInc

gsusx

Apr 7, 2011
Personally dont think the phone sounds as good as a lumia 1020 or htc one ... this is just my opinion though, found the other two a lot warmer in comparison...

bbf

Apr 29, 2006
Kitkat ROMs also support USB DACs, so *any* Android device with kitkat without the OTG feature disabled can have the same hi-quality sound.

I've tried my FiiO E7 USB DAC/Headphone Amp with an OTG adapter, and it works like a charm on the Z1 Compact.

I haven't tried any detailed tests with the direct headphone output, the headphone output through the E7 amp, and the E7 in USB DAC mode with my nicer headphones. I did some quick tests at work (that's where I keep my E7) with a set of inexpensive Syba GamesterGear PS3210 headphones and the analog out sounded bassier, than the USB DAC, even with all the digital effects turned off (Walkman App with flat equalizer and no DSP processing.) So I suspect that the analog audio circuit is boosting the bass (not surprising since bud earphones are have terrible bass response.)

zike47222

Apr 12, 2014
Right out of the box, in my opinion (and compared to my old LG O2X) when hooked up with my earphone Z1C is too quiet for my liking. But then I installed the Z1C volume mod, and when paired my favorite music player (PowerAmp) and VIPER4Android the volume level increases significantly without any noticable loss in sound quality.
Why cant i install Viperforandroid? I tried twrp and phils recoverys..

TheEndHK

Apr 25, 2011
You guys need to try PowerAMP this time. Walkman app is good because it supports ClearAudio+ plus ClearStereo for headphone and ClearPhase plus XLOUD for speaker. However, some apps like PowerAMP does also support all of them and provides same and even better audio quality.

I usually use PowerAMP EQ plus Sony EQ at the same time. They worked together perfectly, you guys just need to get in PowerAMP's Tone/Vol, long press on MusicFX and you can now access to the Sony EQ menu just like in Walkman app, there you can find ClearAudio+, ClearStereo, ClearPhase, XLOUD and also a Dynamic normaliser for loudness volume boost.

My z1c audio quality indeed is good but just the only problem to me is Sony EQ doesn't working very well(but it is acceptable) with my Beats earphone from HTC. They are mainly tuned for Sony's own ear/headphone because I've tested it myself in a local Sony Store(they have put every Sony earphone out and let customer to try). I will need HTC's beats EQ profile to real match my earphone but I have no time to do such mod myself, so I use back my HTC to listen music....lol

pathaniya

May 28, 2010
Did you download the VIPER4Android file from http://vipersaudio.com/blog/?page_id=48? Because it's not a flashable file. Extract the zip file and install the apk like normal app.

Am on .157 rooted, Viper doesn't auto pick up settings if I go from speakers to headphones. I've to uncheck speakers to avail headset feature and that too with AGC+ on.
Am on latest Viper4AndroidFX v2.3.3.0 version. I agree to it prowess but it's not behaving optimally.
I've not edited Build Prop. Has anyone did?

coolkoushik07

Oct 26, 2009
Kolkata
Am on .157 rooted, Viper doesn't auto pick up settings if I go from speakers to headphones. I've to uncheck speakers to avail headset feature and that too with AGC+ on.
Am on latest Viper4AndroidFX v2.3.3.0 version. I agree to it prowess but it's not behaving optimally.
I've not edited Build Prop. Has anyone did?
Mine working as usual..

Sent from my D5503

aakash43

Jul 3, 2012
New Delhi
Quality seems good to me, but loudness is way to low. Loudness is some what good for quiet environment but in noisy environment it is poor. And one more thing forget about headphones even sony headphones sounds too low on this phone. My Razer electra sound ok because of better isolation.

N30wolf

Oct 2, 2010
For me, the audio quality with poweramp and viper4android with the super audio driver seems as good as a rockboxed clip zip. Without viper, the audio quality seems to be worse.

Wenro

Oct 10, 2014
Sweden
Samsung Galaxy S21
I experienced it being so low that I had to root and overwrite mixer_paths.xml to even hear the music, especially in certain locations as in traffic, on the bus/train and industry-areas.

EDIT: Sorry. The quality is fine, volume not.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Why do you keep just copy and pasting random statements from websites?

Sent from my D5503 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Perhaps the keys below are the only ones that work on the keyboard?
    Ctrl C
    Ctrl V

Hehe!

---------- Post added at 07:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 PM ----------

Hello..

this is my first post and I really want to read some audio/sound quality of this device thru headphones. I read some reviews, but none discuss this very important spec. Only gsmarena, but their audio reviews seems to be suspect.

So, how do you guys like the sound quality on z1 compact? Is it any good? Got any comparsions with other phones?

Thanks

I'm pretty much delighted with my compact - fast, actually phone sized (I HATE these stupid 5" plus "phones"), and good looking!
    Downsides:
    1. The glass back.... why? It's completely unnecessary, and I'm sure it scratches just looking at it....
    2. (some of...) The dev forum posts appear to be populated by bumptious arrogant folks who think their s#1t doesn't stink.
    3. The audio is lacking - I'm an audiophile, and am really quite disappointed. The walkman app is rubbish, and the "sound effects, equaliser etc" are truly rubbish.

To get the best from the compact:
    Buy PowerAmp.
    Take your music collection and run it through Foobar2000 http://www.foobar2000.org/
    Apply ReplayGain tags to your tracks. Check this: http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Replaygain
    Search for applying replygain using foobar2000 for some good guides
    In poweramp settings, audio, ReplayGain: Set Apply Gain, By track, Set to +6dB
    If you are rooted, install xposed framework and add xVolume30 module (allows 45 step volume control) - this doesn't increase volume, but gives finer control)
    Make sure you have a decent pair of IEM's (for advice, feel free to PM me (actually, if you want to know more about any of the above, PM me!)

:D
    Why do you keep just copy and pasting random statements from websites?

Sent from my D5503 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    I'm pretty much delighted with my compact - fast, actually phone sized (I HATE these stupid 5" plus "phones"), and good looking!

So am I (and so do I). Btw good advice on the "get the best from the compact" :good: If one would want that, its very helpful indeed.

vboechat said:
    this is my first post and I really want to read some audio/sound quality of this device thru headphones

As for the sound: I'm not a audiophile or whatever, and do not have much music-through-headphone-experience, but I listen music a lot, and I think it's great.
    My previous phone was a Razr, which had terrible sound. In everything.
    Now I have Sony phone, use the Sony music app, and have Sony headphones (the one that came with when preordered, MDR-10rc) and I just love it. But who am I :cowboy:
    I've tried my closed back Sony headphones and open backed seinnhisers (sp). The phone sounds worst of all with earphones though, get a lot of hiss.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

What model are your Sony and sennheiser head/earphones?
    Are you happy with them otherwise?
    Just in case you are in the market for a new pair, I can very highly recommend two pairs:
    Klipsch Image X10 - High Performance Noise-Isolating In ear headphones - you can get a pair on Amazon for less than £100 - worlds smallest IEM's but truly excellent sound and range - I wear them on the tube trains and overland trains, really noisy environments but I don't even need to turn up the volume!
    Same goes for Soundmagic's E30's - £40 on Amazon, but you need to buy Comply TX400 memory foam tips to get the best out of them and get full noise cancelling.... I've got a collection of headphones worth over £2000, and for my daily use, I use the pairs above!
    Oh a Google bug, I'm too harsh for assuming it's Sony's fault. :)