WiMAX Message Notifier redux [Updated 2011-01-30]

Search This thread

Noxious Ninja

Jul 9, 2010
Dallas, TX
Did you know the Evo 4G has a secret second notification LED? It's true! Located on the right side of the speaker near the Sprint logo, the so-called WiMAX LED was added by HTC but never put to work. With WiMAX Message Notifier, you can put this LED to good use.

---

Downloads below. If you have any issues, please, please, please read the release notes and FAQs before you post here.

If you get an FC, check logcat (e.g., using aLogcat) to see if there is a stack trace. Next, check to see if there is a log file on your SD card in the /WiMAXNotifier/logs/ directory. If you find anything, please post it here, or let me know if there are still no logs.

IMPORTANT: Uninstall any previous version of WiMAX Notifier before installing the latest one! That shouldn't be necessary in the future, but for now it is.

Market: coming soon! Either with the next version, or once I am confident that this version is stable.
Source code: evo-wimax-led-notifier Google Code project page

Release Notes:
  • Possible future improvements:
    • Support for email/missed call/voicemail/whatever notifications (requires research)
    • Revamp the UI (Just needs some time)
  • Coming soon
    • 4G connectivity notifications (I mostly know how to do this)
    • GMail notifications
    • ETA: ???
  • v2011-01-30.2 BETA (current)
    Non-broken version of what 2011-01-30.1 should have fixed. Needs testing on CM. Thanks pseudo_nomen!
    If you are running a version older than v2011-01-23.1, you need to uninstall it before installing this version.
    • Ignore all texts from sender 9016 - these are Sprint notifications. This should really fix the voicemail-causing-light-to-get-stuck-on bug.
  • v2011-01-30.1 BETA (broken, don't use)
    Hopefully fixed the issue where new voicemail notifications would cause the LED to come on and get stuck on. I have no idea if this will work on CyanogenMod or with any given messaging app.
    If you are running a version older than v2011-01-23.1, you need to uninstall it before installing this version.
    • Examine incoming SMSes and try to determine whether they are text messages or voicemail control commands
  • v2011-01-24.1
    Try to work around a bug in CyanogenMod. This should work on all ROMs, but if you already have v2011-01-23.1 and you aren't running CM, there's not any reason to upgrade.
    • Check for ability to write to device, and try root if unable to. Hopefully this will work around a bug in CyanogenMod.
  • v2011-01-23.1
    Almost completely re-written! Should be much faster and more reliable than bluedragon's version.
    Uninstall old versions before installing this one!
    • Rewrote LED control code with a much less hacky version. Should be faster and more compatible across phones/ROMs.
    • Rewrote notification management code. Benefits: More stable, much faster detection of messages getting read, less battery usage (may not be noticeable)
    • New GUI. Currently looks pretty awful, as it was not a priority in this version.
    • App will now check to make sure the WiMAX LED is available whenever you start it. If you get a message saying "Your phone/ROM doesn't support the WiMAX LED!", post a message here with your hardware revision, ROM, and kernel.
    • Prepared code for adding new features.
  • v2011-01-08.1 (doesn't work for some people)
    I still haven't been able to track down the FCs. The only big change in this version is the addition of a lot more logging - hopefully I'll finally be able to catch them.
    • More logging to try and catch those elusive FCs.
    • Move "Reset LED" to the main screen of the app instead of having it in a menu.
  • v2011-01-04 19:11
    Initial release. There will still probably be FCs. I am trying to track down where they are coming from.
    • Added a "Reset LED" option in case the service crashes without disabling the LED. You can access it by opening the app and pressing menu. It will turn the LED off (but won't mark your messages as read).

* This is an update of the abandoned WiMAX Message Notifier project by bluedragon742. The primary goal is to fix the random Force Closes present in bluedragon's version. I may also add additional features at a later point.

Last edited:

Noxious Ninja

Jul 9, 2010
Dallas, TX
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):
  1. Q. How do I stop the normal LED from coming on? I don't need both!
    A. From the launcher, press Menu and go to Settings --> Display --> Notification flash. You can then uncheck SMS/MMS. If you want to disable the built-in vibration/sound, or if you are using a non-stock messaging app, you should check the settings in all of the messaging apps you have installed.
  2. Q. How much does this app cost?
    A. For XDA members, it's free. There will be a paid version in the Market at some point, probably for $0.99. Of course, donations are always gladly accepted. If you're too cheap/broke to send me a buck or two, Dropbox signups through my referral link are always appreciated.
  3. Q. Is this app ad-supported?
    A. Nope. There really isn't any way I can think of to add ads.
  4. Q. Does this app require root?
    A. No.
  5. Q. Is ____ feature supported?
    A. Currently this app only handles SMS and MMS messages. I will hopefully be able to support incoming/missed calls, new voicemails, and GMail in future releases.
  6. Q. Will this app drain my battery?
    A. This app runs in the background via a Broadcast Receiver and only runs the service while the LED is on which therefore should not kill your battery.
  7. Q. Can you support ____ rate or _____ color?
    A. I am limited to what colors and rates are provided by the system.
  8. Q. Are you using all of the available rates and colors?
    A. Yes
  9. Q. Will this work with my current SMS/MMS app and do I have to disable any notifications?
    A. This app is designed to compliment, or work along side, your existing SMS/MMS app meaning that you should not have to disable anything in order for this app to work properly. It has been tested with the stock SMS/MMS app, Handcent, and Chomp.
  10. Q. Do you have a Twitter account that I can follow to track your progress?
    A. No. All progress will be posted in this thread, so you might have to dig through it.
  11. Q. How do I live test the SMS and MMS notifications to make sure they work correctly?
    A. Simple - send yourself an e-mail to "[your 10-digit number]@messaging.sprintpcs.com" for SMS or "[your 10-digit number]@pm.sprint.com" for MMS
  12. Q. Does the message service always run in the background?
    A. No. It is started when a new message is received and killed when the message has been read.
  13. Q. What should I do if this app force closes?
    A. Post here with the contents of the file "/sdcard/WiMAXNotifier/logs/wmnTrace_XXXXX.stack" if one exists and a dump from LogCat so that I may see what is causing the problem and fix it quickly. The .stack file is just a normal text file; you can rename it to .txt and attach it to your post, or open it in a text editor and copy the contents to Pastebin.com then post a link.
  14. Q. Why does this app require Internet permissions?
    A. In order for the hyperlinks in the About dialog to work correctly. (Full permissions list coming soon!)

Last edited:

mmegalodon

Aug 14, 2010
Niiice, glad to see a new thread. Thanks for keeping it alive and hopefully updated. :)

Dan330

Apr 16, 2008
great!!!!

today.. your old app was force closing like crazy.

i looked in my SD card for your log.. guess the log will be created with the new app in this thread...

if so. you might want to mention that... ;)

michaelvibe

Jun 17, 2010
Arkansas
Cool this version actually works. I could never get the market version to work for some reason.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

trentlythp

Apr 22, 2010
Amarillo
I appreciate the effort. This is a great concept and its great to see someone pick it up and run with it! Thank you!

Sent from my Sprint HTC EVO

Noxious Ninja

Jul 9, 2010
Dallas, TX
Do you recomend us removing the update from November/December and installing the january update from scratch. Or is it ok to just installe the new version over the older one?

IMPORTANT: Uninstall any previous version of WiMAX Notifier from the other thread (including my test version) before installing one of my new versions.

:p

It probably won't even install over the old one if you tried.

NeoteriX

Jan 28, 2008
Thanks for taking this project on.

Pssst. You need a donate link so we can start sending beer money your way ;)

cabrone1

Aug 17, 2010
Troy, MI

ncfastls1

Oct 27, 2010
Cary, NC
Thanks again Ninja! It has been working perfectly for me ever since you re-did it. Is there any way you can make this compatible with gingerbread? I tried installing it on dc13/evokings titanium black project x GBv3 and it wouldn't work.

mkampy

Jun 1, 2010
I got my first force close since installing the "new" app. I could not find an error file on my sd card.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Did you know the Evo 4G has a secret second notification LED? It's true! Located on the right side of the speaker near the Sprint logo, the so-called WiMAX LED was added by HTC but never put to work. With WiMAX Message Notifier, you can put this LED to good use.

---

Downloads below. If you have any issues, please, please, please read the release notes and FAQs before you post here.

If you get an FC, check logcat (e.g., using aLogcat) to see if there is a stack trace. Next, check to see if there is a log file on your SD card in the /WiMAXNotifier/logs/ directory. If you find anything, please post it here, or let me know if there are still no logs.

IMPORTANT: Uninstall any previous version of WiMAX Notifier before installing the latest one! That shouldn't be necessary in the future, but for now it is.

Market: coming soon! Either with the next version, or once I am confident that this version is stable.
    Source code: evo-wimax-led-notifier Google Code project page

Release Notes:
    • Possible future improvements:
      • Support for email/missed call/voicemail/whatever notifications (requires research)
      • Revamp the UI (Just needs some time)
    • Coming soon
      • 4G connectivity notifications (I mostly know how to do this)
      • GMail notifications
      • ETA: ???
    • v2011-01-30.2 BETA (current)
      Non-broken version of what 2011-01-30.1 should have fixed. Needs testing on CM. Thanks pseudo_nomen!
      • Ignore all texts from sender 9016 - these are Sprint notifications. This should really fix the voicemail-causing-light-to-get-stuck-on bug.
    • v2011-01-30.1 BETA (broken, don't use)
      Hopefully fixed the issue where new voicemail notifications would cause the LED to come on and get stuck on. I have no idea if this will work on CyanogenMod or with any given messaging app.
      • Examine incoming SMSes and try to determine whether they are text messages or voicemail control commands
    • v2011-01-24.1
      Try to work around a bug in CyanogenMod. This should work on all ROMs, but if you already have v2011-01-23.1 and you aren't running CM, there's not any reason to upgrade.
      • Check for ability to write to device, and try root if unable to. Hopefully this will work around a bug in CyanogenMod.
    • v2011-01-23.1
      Almost completely re-written! Should be much faster and more reliable than bluedragon's version.
      Uninstall old versions before installing this one!
      • Rewrote LED control code with a much less hacky version. Should be faster and more compatible across phones/ROMs.
      • Rewrote notification management code. Benefits: More stable, much faster detection of messages getting read, less battery usage (may not be noticeable)
      • New GUI. Currently looks pretty awful, as it was not a priority in this version.
      • App will now check to make sure the WiMAX LED is available whenever you start it. If you get a message saying "Your phone/ROM doesn't support the WiMAX LED!", post a message here with your hardware revision, ROM, and kernel.
      • Prepared code for adding new features.
    • v2011-01-08.1 (doesn't work for some people)
      I still haven't been able to track down the FCs. The only big change in this version is the addition of a lot more logging - hopefully I'll finally be able to catch them.
      • More logging to try and catch those elusive FCs.
      • Move "Reset LED" to the main screen of the app instead of having it in a menu.
    • v2011-01-04 19:11
      Initial release. There will still probably be FCs. I am trying to track down where they are coming from.
      • Added a "Reset LED" option in case the service crashes without disabling the LED. You can access it by opening the app and pressing menu. It will turn the LED off (but won't mark your messages as read).

* This is an update of the abandoned WiMAX Message Notifier project by bluedragon742. The primary goal is to fix the random Force Closes present in bluedragon's version. I may also add additional features at a later point.
    Status update: I've fixed the crash, but I'm seeing a bizarre issue where sometimes the app completely ignores all your settings and uses the defaults. I'm in the process of rewriting a good portion of the code from scratch, because I honestly have no idea what's going on. :(
    Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):
    1. Q. How do I stop the normal LED from coming on? I don't need both!
      A. From the launcher, press Menu and go to Settings --> Display --> Notification flash. You can then uncheck SMS/MMS. If you want to disable the built-in vibration/sound, or if you are using a non-stock messaging app, you should check the settings in all of the messaging apps you have installed.
    2. Q. How much does this app cost?
      A. For XDA members, it's free. There will be a paid version in the Market at some point, probably for $0.99. Of course, donations are always gladly accepted. If you're too cheap/broke to send me a buck or two, Dropbox signups through my referral link are always appreciated.
    3. Q. Is this app ad-supported?
      A. Nope. There really isn't any way I can think of to add ads.
    4. Q. Does this app require root?
      A. No.
    5. Q. Is ____ feature supported?
      A. Currently this app only handles SMS and MMS messages. I will hopefully be able to support incoming/missed calls, new voicemails, and GMail in future releases.
    6. Q. Will this app drain my battery?
      A. This app runs in the background via a Broadcast Receiver and only runs the service while the LED is on which therefore should not kill your battery.
    7. Q. Can you support ____ rate or _____ color?
      A. I am limited to what colors and rates are provided by the system.
    8. Q. Are you using all of the available rates and colors?
      A. Yes
    9. Q. Will this work with my current SMS/MMS app and do I have to disable any notifications?
      A. This app is designed to compliment, or work along side, your existing SMS/MMS app meaning that you should not have to disable anything in order for this app to work properly. It has been tested with the stock SMS/MMS app, Handcent, and Chomp.
    10. Q. Do you have a Twitter account that I can follow to track your progress?
      A. No. All progress will be posted in this thread, so you might have to dig through it.
    11. Q. How do I live test the SMS and MMS notifications to make sure they work correctly?
      A. Simple - send yourself an e-mail to "[your 10-digit number]@messaging.sprintpcs.com" for SMS or "[your 10-digit number]@pm.sprint.com" for MMS
    12. Q. Does the message service always run in the background?
      A. No. It is started when a new message is received and killed when the message has been read.
    13. Q. What should I do if this app force closes?
      A. Post here with the contents of the file "/sdcard/WiMAXNotifier/logs/wmnTrace_XXXXX.stack" if one exists and a dump from LogCat so that I may see what is causing the problem and fix it quickly. The .stack file is just a normal text file; you can rename it to .txt and attach it to your post, or open it in a text editor and copy the contents to Pastebin.com then post a link.
    14. Q. Why does this app require Internet permissions?
      A. In order for the hyperlinks in the About dialog to work correctly. (Full permissions list coming soon!)
    Here's a buggy, hacky test version. I would appreciate it if some people would test this out and let me know if the LED goes off when you read a message. If you do test it, please post your results along with:

1) Your ROM and ROM version
    2) What SMS program you used (stock, Handcent, chomp, etc.)
    3) How you read the message (e.g., opened up the app and read it from the conversation list, hit "done" on the chomp popup, etc.)

NOTE: You will have to uninstall any existing versions before installing this one.

EDIT: No need to test, I figured out the proper way of handling this. For the curious, it turns out that, when reading messages through a conversation view, the mms-sms content provider is updated instead of the sms content provider.

New version soon? Probably. New features? Not yet, just rebuilt and improved core.

Not yet. I got a good bit of work done Monday evening, but I've been busy the other days this week, and will be busy again tonight. Assuming the new design works like I expect it to, a new version should be out Saturday or Sunday.