[XDAndroid] Gingerbread for Whitestone/Imagio Release 1 09/05/2012

Search This thread

CptAJ

Feb 27, 2010
Well, after about two months of work we're ready to release the first public pack of android for whitestone. I know you guys have waited a long time for this and it's probably too late for most by now, but here we are! And we have Gingerbread with a bleeding edge 3.3 kernel :eek:

8nHFa.png
bSH57.png

Download:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/38620067/imagio/WD1.7z
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/38620067/imagio/WD 2.7z

Source code: All patches welcome. Just attach them to this thread or some other file locker online (Or pm me for email)
https://gitorious.org/linux-msm-whitestone/linux-msm-whitestone

How to use this:
  • You need an SD card. I recommend a clean one (Use HP USB storage format tool to wipe it good)
  • Place the entire contents of the pack into the root of the SD card. (That means the top directory)
  • Run "HARET.EXE" from windows mobile. You'll see flying text. Give it some time, first boot takes a while.
  • Enjoy!

This is a work in progress and as such you'll find that somethings are working and some are not.

What works:
  • Radio: Calls (Tested on CDMA only. Tell us if you have GSM)
  • Data.
  • SMS.
  • Androidy goodness in general.

What doesn't work (yet):
  • WiFi.
  • G-Sensor.
  • GPS.
  • Camera.
  • HW3D (Done. Will deploy on next release)
  • Media, windows and back keys.
  • Bluetooth

That last item is interesting. Since not all the keys are working we've mapped them like this to make the phone usable:
  • VolUP = Menu key
  • VolDOWN = Back key
  • Power = power key.
  • Send = end key.

Known issues:

• Data is not working?

You need to edit (from android) the file at "/init.cfg/init.gingerbread.rc". Find the line that says:

Code:
    service pppd_gprs /system/bin/pppd /dev/smd1 defaultroute local usepeerdns \

and change it for this one:

Code:
    service pppd_gprs /system/bin/pppd /dev/smd7 defaultroute local usepeerdns \
  • Phone doesn't wake up sometimes?

This is an unresolved issue. The first thing you need to do is deactivate "auto backlight" in both window mobile and android. It will work much better that way but you will still have trouble sometimes. If its not waking up then just suspend it again and wake it up once more until it does. Sometimes it gets stupid, be patient.

This will be annoying when you have incoming calls and you can't see the screen. Just blindly swipe the answer slider and it'll work. The phone is awake, just not showing anything on screen. Touchscreen and everything works though.

That's about it for now. Let me know how it goes.Enjoy!

Thanks to everyone on xdandroid and htc-linux for their undying and monumental support of our misguided efforts :D

1uhzM.jpg

EDIT 05-12-2012: Download links updated. I put up a second release. It was the one we devs were using but I can't remember what was new in it. Not much, probably just the hardware 3d acceleration. Development has pretty much stopped on this, sourcecode is on GIT if anyone wants to pick it up.

Last edited:

nickleby

Sep 28, 2008
Caracas
Good to see this finally! I don't have an Imagio, but it's cool to see Android working for this phone...I remember I didn't buy the Imagio because the lack of an Android port (and physical keyboard) :D

CptAJ

Feb 27, 2010
Good to see this finally! I don't have an Imagio, but it's cool to see Android working for this phone...I remember I didn't buy the Imagio because the lack of an Android port (and physical keyboard) :D

If you know anyone that does have it, be sure to let them know!

Esta "Bien hecho en Venezuela" ;)

m4f1050

Apr 20, 2007
Today is a sad day. After I downloaded it, copied it to an sdcard, I decided to flash my Imagio back to stock and now it's stuck at the HTC splash screen! UGH! Anobody has any idea how to get to bootloader via mtty? I barely remember there was a way..

EDIT: Found it, using PSAS (QMAT) but I have Win7 64bit.. Disabled ActiveSync and got to bootloader... I did a task 29 and I got a bunch of bad blocks :(

Format BINFS start
CE start start block=384, total block=3712
ERASE block 41 FAIL !!!
ERASE block 92 FAIL !!!
ERASE block 116 FAIL !!!
ERASE block 288 FAIL !!!
ERASE block 411 FAIL !!!
ERASE block 632 FAIL !!!
ERASE block 1015 FAIL !!!
ERASE block 1080 FAIL !!!
ERASE block 1431 FAIL !!!
ERASE block 1488 FAIL !!!
ERASE block 1794 FAIL !!!
ERASE block 1851 FAIL !!!
ERASE block 1904 FAIL !!!
ERASE block 1975 FAIL !!!
ERASE block 2202 FAIL !!!
ERASE block 2295 FAIL !!!
ERASE block 2354 FAIL !!!
ERASE block 2512 FAIL !!!
ERASE block 2637 FAIL !!!
ERASE block 2781 FAIL !!!
ERASE block 2802 FAIL !!!
ERASE block 2871 FAIL !!!
ERASE block 2983 FAIL !!!
ERASE block 3006 FAIL !!!
ERASE block 3034 FAIL !!!
ERASE block 3584 FAIL !!!
Write 0xFF start page=0x6000, total page=0x3A000
Format BINFS end

Any experts that can help me get this booting? Any program that will bypass the bad blocks?

Last edited:

CptAJ

Feb 27, 2010
That's a lot of bad blocks, man. I guess shop around for a small ROM and pray but I doubt you can survive so many.

I really wish I knew more that could help you. As it stands you're a considerable chunk of our userbase and we hate to lose you at the turn of the tide =(

I should clarify for the uninitiated that the Android port runs from windows and in no way touches NAND, so it couldn't have caused this. You have no need to worry. What happened to m4f1050 is a sad accident that sometimes happens when you flash a custom ROM (Winmo stock in his case)

vwaitting

Apr 10, 2009
I can't connecting GPRS or 3g. I edited init.gingerbread.rc but can't connect internet,too

Last edited:

m4f1050

Apr 20, 2007
That's a lot of bad blocks, man. I guess shop around for a small ROM and pray but I doubt you can survive so many.

I really wish I knew more that could help you. As it stands you're a considerable chunk of our userbase and we hate to lose you at the turn of the tide =(

I should clarify for the uninitiated that the Android port runs from windows and in no way touches NAND, so it couldn't have caused this. You have no need to worry. What happened to m4f1050 is a sad accident that sometimes happens when you flash a custom ROM (Winmo stock in his case)

Yeah, I noticed too many. The funny thing is that the phone worked flawlessly before the reset and reflash. Should've left it alone! UGH! Anybody that's planning on running Android off of sdcard won't have this problem ever again, updates are made on the sdcard, that's a plus!

untitled_one

Nov 15, 2009
I have an Imagio that I'm using as a wifi device, so ill try this as soon as the wifi is working. Thank you for the hard work.

untitled_one

Nov 15, 2009
Well, I went ahead and loaded it even though I can't do anything without wifi. It seems stable and snappy enough. Is getting the wifi running on the to-do list, I hope? If so, my old Imagio could become a very nice secondary device alongside my Rezound.

Also, how will I update Android if/when new versions of this are released? I'm used to loading updates on my HP Touchpad, but I get the impression that this is entirely different.

Hope I don't sound like I'm whining or complaining. I'm genuinely thankful and impressed and looking forward to any continuing development that might take place.

Edit: I found the question to my update question here.

Last edited:

CptAJ

Feb 27, 2010
Well, I went ahead and loaded it even though I can't do anything without wifi. It seems stable and snappy enough. Is getting the wifi running on the to-do list, I hope? If so, my old Imagio could become a very nice secondary device alongside my Rezound.

Also, how will I update Android if/when new versions of this are released? I'm used to loading updates on my HP Touchpad, but I get the impression that this is entirely different.

Hope I don't sound like I'm whining or complaining. I'm genuinely thankful and impressed and looking forward to any continuing development that might take place.

Edit: I found the question to my update question here.

At the moment we're not in the autobuild so those updates might not work for you out of the box. I'll release the kernel updates here until we are though, don't worry.

Of course wifi is coming. Everything is on the todo list. I can't give you an ETA though as we don't really have a regular development schedule or roadmap. Right now we're mostly working on the gsensor, gpu and the rest of the keys. Don't throw away that imagio though! (and if you are shoot me a PM and consider donating it for testing) You've waited this long, might as well check periodically for progress :p

CptAJ

Feb 27, 2010
What does getting the GPU working do for us exactly? Forgive my newbie question.

Well, it let's you play some games. Sometimes the games can be software rendered but that's quite slow. The GPU lets you accelerate that (like your video card) and allows you to play other games that do require it.

It's quite old though, the GPU. Don't expect to play the latest games, but hey it's something!

Angry Birds does run. It's super slow though :p We did some benchmarks against the Rhodium guys and we're pulling in just about the same FPS, so if they can play it chances are we can too.

Reactions: untitled_one

Andrey_Go

Sep 11, 2008
Hi.
I have Imagio and I run Android, and when I have call, screen does not light up. I tried to change the "auto brightness" but to no avail. Maybe someone has found a way, this fixed a bug?

And how to edit the file "init.gingerbread.rc"? I can not find an editor or a file manager in Android.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well, after about two months of work we're ready to release the first public pack of android for whitestone. I know you guys have waited a long time for this and it's probably too late for most by now, but here we are! And we have Gingerbread with a bleeding edge 3.3 kernel :eek:

8nHFa.png
    bSH57.png

Download:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/38620067/imagio/WD1.7z
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/38620067/imagio/WD 2.7z

Source code: All patches welcome. Just attach them to this thread or some other file locker online (Or pm me for email)
    https://gitorious.org/linux-msm-whitestone/linux-msm-whitestone

How to use this:
    • You need an SD card. I recommend a clean one (Use HP USB storage format tool to wipe it good)
    • Place the entire contents of the pack into the root of the SD card. (That means the top directory)
    • Run "HARET.EXE" from windows mobile. You'll see flying text. Give it some time, first boot takes a while.
    • Enjoy!

This is a work in progress and as such you'll find that somethings are working and some are not.

What works:
    • Radio: Calls (Tested on CDMA only. Tell us if you have GSM)
    • Data.
    • SMS.
    • Androidy goodness in general.

What doesn't work (yet):
    • WiFi.
    • G-Sensor.
    • GPS.
    • Camera.
    • HW3D (Done. Will deploy on next release)
    • Media, windows and back keys.
    • Bluetooth

That last item is interesting. Since not all the keys are working we've mapped them like this to make the phone usable:
    • VolUP = Menu key
    • VolDOWN = Back key
    • Power = power key.
    • Send = end key.

Known issues:

• Data is not working?

You need to edit (from android) the file at "/init.cfg/init.gingerbread.rc". Find the line that says:

Code:
      service pppd_gprs /system/bin/pppd /dev/smd1 defaultroute local usepeerdns \

and change it for this one:

Code:
      service pppd_gprs /system/bin/pppd /dev/smd7 defaultroute local usepeerdns \
    • Phone doesn't wake up sometimes?

This is an unresolved issue. The first thing you need to do is deactivate "auto backlight" in both window mobile and android. It will work much better that way but you will still have trouble sometimes. If its not waking up then just suspend it again and wake it up once more until it does. Sometimes it gets stupid, be patient.

This will be annoying when you have incoming calls and you can't see the screen. Just blindly swipe the answer slider and it'll work. The phone is awake, just not showing anything on screen. Touchscreen and everything works though.

That's about it for now. Let me know how it goes.Enjoy!

Thanks to everyone on xdandroid and htc-linux for their undying and monumental support of our misguided efforts :D

1uhzM.jpg

EDIT 05-12-2012: Download links updated. I put up a second release. It was the one we devs were using but I can't remember what was new in it. Not much, probably just the hardware 3d acceleration. Development has pretty much stopped on this, sourcecode is on GIT if anyone wants to pick it up.
    Sorry for not replying guys. Development is kinda stalled right now cause real life is tugging at me. You know how it is.

Just wanted to let you guys know that the project is still alive and well and I'll get back to work as soon as school and work let up a little. ;)
    We got the GPU working today =)

I may release a new pack tomorrow.
    What does getting the GPU working do for us exactly? Forgive my newbie question.

Well, it let's you play some games. Sometimes the games can be software rendered but that's quite slow. The GPU lets you accelerate that (like your video card) and allows you to play other games that do require it.

It's quite old though, the GPU. Don't expect to play the latest games, but hey it's something!

Angry Birds does run. It's super slow though :p We did some benchmarks against the Rhodium guys and we're pulling in just about the same FPS, so if they can play it chances are we can too.
    Hi.
    I have Imagio and I run Android, and when I have call, screen does not light up. I tried to change the "auto brightness" but to no avail. Maybe someone has found a way, this fixed a bug?

And how to edit the file "init.gingerbread.rc"? I can not find an editor or a file manager in Android.

Thanks.

You should pull the file using ADB, like I mentioned. Edit it on your PC and then push it back into your phone.

The screen failing to light up is a known bug. We haven't found fix for it yet. You can answer your calls by "blindly" sliding the unlock to answer the call :p