[Root for the HTC Magic/Sapphire] (from haykuro) (updated 5/23)

Search This thread

zwuncki

Aug 21, 2005
Thx very much, helps a lot. Actually adb devices doesn't show anything, just "List of devices attached". Means that the Magic isn't recognized? How do I get the USB Drivers (installed) to the Magic?

And which drivers to install? amd or x86?

Last edited:

pdagenius

Nov 4, 2006
Thx very much, helps a lot. Actually adb devices doesn't show anything, just "List of devices attached". Means that the Magic isn't recognized? How do I get the USB Drivers (installed) to the Magic?

And which drivers to install? amd or x86?

It seems there are some red herrings swimming around this thread :). The USB drivers are installed on your pc (assuming you are using Windows - cannot say for Mac as I don't use this). The standard 32-bit drivers are in the x86 folder. If you have done this correctly, when you type "ADB devices" in a CMD window, it will return that a HTC device is attached with a number specific to your device.

You also need to have "Settings /Application settings / Development / USB debugging" enabled on your phone for ADB to work.

If you can't get it to work I suggest you do a little more reading around the subject. The following thread may be of help, but there are other resources on XDA Developers Forum if you search around.

zwuncki

Aug 21, 2005
As said before I wanna know HOW you can install the drivers to the Magic. Debugging enabled, no serial number or similar shown with adb devices. ;)

Thx for the link, now it works.

Last edited:

Flirtino

May 28, 2009
Original settings?

A nooob here... Before rooting my UK Vodafone Magic I was wondering what the the phone will be like post-rooting activation... Will I still have all my settings, applications, text messages etc installed? If I follow the procedure posted here will I have a totally new "ROM" as if I had just bought the phone and need to do everything from zero or is it just a matter of activating ROOTING on the device??!

Thank you for your help :)

Flirtino

May 28, 2009
ROM vs ROOTING

rooting will let you keep all setting and app,only if you flash rom you will loose apps and setting.

And from what I understand, the current instructions available for rooting the Magic does not involve flashing it with a ROM or anything of the like?... Thank you for your prompt reply btw, much appreciated :)

raZr87

Jul 9, 2008
Hello,

i´ve just rooted my HTC Magic... i didn´t install the Modified SPL...
so now my question is,

if I reset to factory settings, is the root still there? or then the phone is stock, so that i could send it to t-mobile and get it changed.

second question... should there be a dialog or anything else after the last step of rooting ? (adb shell flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-new.img)

because there wasn´t anything like this...

im sorry for my bad english... hope you can help me.

best regards... Dominik

Flirtino

May 28, 2009
Rooting and tethering...

I just rooted my Vodafone UK Magic (without installing the modified SPL) and I tried to install the Wireless for tethering program (the latest 1.5 build as well as the older 0.9 one) and it installs fine but still does not work when I try to start tethering... Says "Unable to start tethering..." Tried reinstalling the binaries/libraries but no luck. Any reason for this? Thanks

milanorico

May 6, 2009
this doesn't work at all

everytime when i give fastboot command it just want to reboot and then it is stuck on the TIM splashscreen and doesn't do anything.

Help please i need to provide it with dutch language

Puky70

Oct 26, 2007
@ all and haykuro,

I have an issue. First I have rooted my magic with this tutorial:

http://android-dls.com/wiki/index.php?title=Magic_Rooting

After that I have activated Apps2SD within this code of RootMe Rom:

Code:
adb shell cp -r /data/app /system/sd/app
adb shell cp -r /data/app-private /system/sd/app-private
adb shell rm -r /data/app
adb shell ln -s /system/sd/app /data/app
adb shell rm - /data/app-private
adb shell ln -s /system/sd/app-private /data/app-private

No problem through this steps. After reboot all progams will be shown from ext2 partition. I have inserted the microSD card from my G1.

Now when I start Advanced Task Manager in order to finish all tasks, following message appear "Failed to end all due to lack of root access".

What have been wrong? Can anyone help me?

Thx

Kindly Regards

Puky70

YannR

Mar 4, 2007
Hello,

It doesn't seem to be critical as I can run a "fastboot boot recovery-new.img" without any problem but I think my in-built Recovery is "broken". Starting with VolDown + Power gives me the HBOOT mode but I see displayed the following messages on the device :

SD Checking...
Loading...[SAPPDIAG.zip]
No image!
Loading...[SAPPDIAG.nbh]
No image or wrong image!
Loading...[SAPPIMG.zip]
No image!
Loading...[SAPPIMG.nbh]
No image or wrong image!

Then <BACK> FastBoot Mode is proposed. No Recovery/Nandroid screen.

My HTC Magic has already hacked SPL and I already did every steps described here :

And, being a noob on Android, should I try to flash the boot-new.img mentionned in the procedure posted here in this thread :
fastboot boot boot-new.img
wait for device to boot.
adb push boot-new.img /sdcard/boot-new.img
adb push recovery-new.img /sdcard/recovery-new.img
adb shell flash_image boot /sdcard/boot-new.img
adb shell flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-new.img
adb shell reboot
But I'm suspecting Haykuro's Magic RooteMe ROM has done the job already... or? [Edit] And this is not related to the Recovery problem, right?

So, I'm wondering how I can get this sorted out... Any tips?

Last edited:

cmf

Hello,

It doesn't seem to be critical as I can run a "fastboot boot recovery-new.img" without any problem but I think my in-built Recovery is "broken". Starting with VolDown + Power gives me the HBOOT mode but I see displayed the following messages on the device :

SD Checking...
Loading...[SAPPDIAG.zip]
No image!
Loading...[SAPPDIAG.nbh]
No image or wrong image!
Loading...[SAPPIMG.zip]
No image!
Loading...[SAPPIMG.nbh]
No image or wrong image!

Then <BACK> FastBoot Mode is proposed. No Recovery/Nandroid screen.

My HTC Magic has already hacked SPL and I already did every steps described here :

And, being a noob on Android, should I try to flash the boot-new.img mentionned in the procedure posted here in this thread :

But I'm suspecting Haykuro's Magic RooteMe ROM has done the job already... or? [Edit] And this is not related to the Recovery problem, right?

So, I'm wondering how I can get this sorted out... Any tips?

You get to the Recovery/Nandroid screen via Home + Power. You get to Fastboot via Vol-Dn + Power.

stevetigersix

Feb 10, 2008
Windsor
hi people im a complete self confesed n00b when it comes to android platform and ive just landed myself a htc magic/sapphire and wanted to do some improvements on it. Im okish on pcs so following instructions isnt an issue.

my questions this

is it easy peasy to root this bad boy and flash it with a new rom apart from the wiki guide to haykuro in this thread is it as easy as he suggests, also once rooted i gather you will no longer get ots updates,true or false. Also can we flash anything thats been done for the dream like the latest dream interfaces? looking foward to rosie comming our way eventually

btw anyone done a video tutorial or pic tutorial ive browsed youtube etc and found nothing

Last edited:

csw43

May 13, 2005
Swadlincote
Hi Steve, just follow the instructions as stated, it is as easy as it sounds. You will not be able to flash G1/dream interfaces, or at least its not advisable :). The dream has a hardware keyboard etc......and yes you are right, no more ota updates.

Good luck

Craig

stevetigersix

Feb 10, 2008
Windsor
Hi Steve, just follow the instructions as stated, it is as easy as it sounds. You will not be able to flash G1/dream interfaces, or at least its not advisable :). The dream has a hardware keyboard etc......and yes you are right, no more ota updates.

Good luck

Craig

thanks for that craig i might jump in and do the fandango with it:rolleyes:.....stilll worried about bricking it though lmao.

do you think we will get something like this from haykuro as well http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRX5N5bte68

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Full procedure so far!

1. Download boot-new.img.zip from http://www.droiddeveloper.com/hrbuilds/boot-new.img.zip
    2. extract boot-new.img to computer.
    3. Download recovery-new.img.zip from http://www.droiddeveloper.com/hrbuilds/recovery-new.img.zip
    4. extract recovery-new.img to computer.
    5. power off device
    6. hold BACK+POWER (or VOLUME_DOWN+POWER) to boot into bootloader.
    Code:
    [b]fastboot boot boot-new.img[/b]
    wait for device to boot.
    [b]adb push boot-new.img /sdcard/boot-new.img[/b]
    [b]adb push recovery-new.img /sdcard/recovery-new.img[/b]
    [b]adb shell flash_image boot /sdcard/boot-new.img[/b]
    [b]adb shell flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-new.img[/b]
    [b]adb shell reboot[/b]

you now have root build, and can flash whatever build you like :) (test keys and all)