[Q] What to do about a slow SDcard affecting performance?

Search This thread

gromky

Feb 15, 2009
Zhejiang
I have just benchmarked my 8G removable storage card, and got only 1.31MB/s write speed. The two internal cards got 1.73MB/s and 1.47MB/s respectively. Is this slowing down my system? I often notice that Elixir's widget shows that the system is using the disk intensively (shortcut to top shows iowait above 50%). What can I do about this?

Paget96

Recognized Developer / Inactive RC
Oct 29, 2013
Krusevac

gromky

Feb 15, 2009
Zhejiang
Last updated May 17, 2011...for Android 1.6 and up? :silly: I'm not sure this would really help. Setting the cache size would help to optimize for speed. It wouldn't help poor performance.

bweN diorD

Jun 12, 2011
I have just benchmarked my 8G removable storage card, and got only 1.31MB/s write speed. The two internal cards got 1.73MB/s and 1.47MB/s respectively. Is this slowing down my system? I often notice that Elixir's widget shows that the system is using the disk intensively (shortcut to top shows iowait above 50%). What can I do about this?

i would buy a higher class card.
maybe my memory is off but that write speed seems really low, unless you have a class 2 card, then its still low.

Reactions: gromky

gromky

Feb 15, 2009
Zhejiang
Last edited:

bweN diorD

Jun 12, 2011
It's a Kingston 8Gb "MicroSD HC" SDC4. I don't know if it's class 2 or not.

Also, does it really make a difference? If the system is thrashing the disk, then all the usage should be in the two internal sdcards. Is that right?

What kind of card would be a good replacement?

Its a class 4 which means the r/w speed should be higher than you are reporting. IMO either your phone can't support any higher speed or something is wrong with the card.
The class of the card does matter and can cause some operations to be slower in comparison to say a class 10 card.
I don't know why your phone is thrashing the card, unlikely normal, but it could be. Other possibilities are issues with the phone software, or issues with the card like partial corruption or bad sectors, even bad pics or vids can cause the system to scan the card too much.
Look in battery stats and see if the media scanner usage is high, this would indicate a corrupt file.
Alternatively, I would test the card for errors. Grab a card tester from Google search, put the card in your PC, copy the entire contents to your PC, run the test program. If no errors, put the card back into the phone and format, then copy back your files.
If errors, get a new card. I have always bought sandisk class 10 from an eBay reputable seller. Read up on the seller wherever you get it from so you don't get a fake card.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

gromky

Feb 15, 2009
Zhejiang
Its a class 4 which means the r/w speed should be higher than you are reporting. IMO either your phone can't support any higher speed or something is wrong with the card.
The class of the card does matter and can cause some operations to be slower in comparison to say a class 10 card.
I don't know why your phone is thrashing the card, unlikely normal, but it could be. Other possibilities are issues with the phone software, or issues with the card like partial corruption or bad sectors, even bad pics or vids can cause the system to scan the card too much.
Look in battery stats and see if the media scanner usage is high, this would indicate a corrupt file.
Alternatively, I would test the card for errors. Grab a card tester from Google search, put the card in your PC, copy the entire contents to your PC, run the test program. If no errors, put the card back into the phone and format, then copy back your files.
If errors, get a new card. I have always bought sandisk class 10 from an eBay reputable seller. Read up on the seller wherever you get it from so you don't get a fake card.

Ah, so it shouldn't be this slow. Class 4 should be enough. The problem shouldn't be my phone, it's a Xiaomi Hongmi/Redmi and it was manufactured last year.

I've checked the battery usage and media scanner isn't listed. Do you know how I can figure out which program is thrashing the disk?

It's a microSD card so it won't go in the computer. I have a USB adapter somewhere, but those greatly slow performance.

Last edited:

bweN diorD

Jun 12, 2011
Ah, so it shouldn't be this slow. Class 4 should be enough. The problem shouldn't be my phone, it's a Xiaomi Hongmi/Redmi and it was manufactured last year.

I've checked the battery usage and media scanner isn't listed. Do you know how I can figure out which program is thrashing the disk?

It's a microSD card so it won't go in the computer. I have a USB adapter somewhere, but those greatly slow performance.

Class 4 should be running at 4mb or better.
Sorry I don't know how to tell what is causing the excessive r/w on the card.
Most newer PC's have a SD card slot, you just need the adapter that frequently comes with the card.
The performance through USB isn't really relevant, that's not the purpose of connecting it to the PC. You want to check it for errors or damage. A slower connection method will just make the process take longer.
Just follow my previous post instructions and backup your files first. I think the checking program is going to format the card to run its tests, its been a long time since I used it, I don't remember exactly.
Later when I get home I can help you find a program if you haven't found a good one by then.

bweN diorD

Jun 12, 2011

ok, this is what i used last time http://sosfakeflash.wordpress.com/2...standard-in-detecting-usb-counterfeit-drives/
there is a "direct" download link a little down the page.
the tool was made for checking for fake cards, but if you give it a quick read, you will see its going to check for errors, report the condition of the card, and more.

hope that helps.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

i would buy a higher class card.
    maybe my memory is off but that write speed seems really low, unless you have a class 2 card, then its still low.
    It's a Kingston 8Gb "MicroSD HC" SDC4. I don't know if it's class 2 or not.

Also, does it really make a difference? If the system is thrashing the disk, then all the usage should be in the two internal sdcards. Is that right?

What kind of card would be a good replacement?

Class 4 should be running at 4mb or better.
    Sorry I don't know how to tell what is causing the excessive r/w on the card.
    Most newer PC's have a SD card slot, you just need the adapter that frequently comes with the card.
    The performance through USB isn't really relevant, that's not the purpose of connecting it to the PC. You want to check it for errors or damage. A slower connection method will just make the process take longer.
    Just follow my previous post instructions and backup your files first. I think the checking program is going to format the card to run its tests, its been a long time since I used it, I don't remember exactly.
    Later when I get home I can help you find a program if you haven't found a good one by then.

ok, this is what i used last time http://sosfakeflash.wordpress.com/2...standard-in-detecting-usb-counterfeit-drives/
    there is a "direct" download link a little down the page.
    the tool was made for checking for fake cards, but if you give it a quick read, you will see its going to check for errors, report the condition of the card, and more.

hope that helps.