[Beginners Guide] Rooting the AT&T GalaxyS3 the Easy Way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

tishoo

Jun 15, 2011
Baltimore, MD
No problem... The goal was to put it out an easy to follow guide. I hope I succeeded.

My AT&T SGS3 is on the UPS truck for delivery this afternoon.
Looking forward to rooting.
Do you recommend I let Kies update the stock SGS3 to the newer AT&T sanctioned update first, or just root the phone out of the box and install the stock/deodexed 4.1.1 (or even something more exotic) off this forum instead?

(I'm coming from a Gingerbread Samsung Infuse (nice but underpowered phone) and want to transfer my apps/experience across as painlessly as possible; I'm half considering just rooting and Titanium Un-Backingup my apps/data and dealing with Kies, other ROMs etc in the New Year - but it is encouraging to see how incredibly active the dev community for the GS3 is)

Skunk Ape1

Nov 26, 2011
Killeen
My AT&T SGS3 is on the UPS truck for delivery this afternoon.
Looking forward to rooting.
Do you recommend I let Kies update the stock SGS3 to the newer AT&T sanctioned update first, or just root the phone out of the box and install the stock/deodexed 4.1.1 (or even something more exotic) off this forum instead?

(I'm coming from a Gingerbread Samsung Infuse (nice but underpowered phone) and want to transfer my apps/experience across as painlessly as possible; I'm half considering just rooting and Titanium Un-Backingup my apps/data and dealing with Kies, other ROMs etc in the New Year - but it is encouraging to see how incredibly active the dev community for the GS3 is)

Either way is a good choice. :D

Intub8

Mar 3, 2012
Just wondering does the USB jig still reset the flash counter on jb ROMs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

Skunk Ape1

Nov 26, 2011
Killeen
Just wondering does the USB jig still reset the flash counter on jb ROMs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

There is no reason to reset your flash counter until you are ready to go back to stock. This phone checks at boot to see if you're stock. Go to the unroot guide I posted to see how it's done. You don't need anything but the phone to reset the counter.

wraithevolution

Apr 10, 2010
Oregon
So I finally grew a pair and attempted root. Excellent guide you've made here Skunk Ape, you really made it easy. It was so easy, I actually had to try a root checked app afterwards to see if I did it right!

CAGorman

Dec 21, 2012
Worked?

how do you know it worked? What should I be looking for is there a tell tale sign to look for? It went through all the after touch screen steps and I checked it on an app and it said it did. So now that it is routed, what do I do next

Last edited:

Skunk Ape1

Nov 26, 2011
Killeen
how do you know it worked? What should I be looking for is there a tell tale sign to look for? It went through all the after touch screen steps and I checked it on an app and it said it did. So now that it is routed, what do I do next

There is an app in the playstore called root checker. It will test your phone to make sure it's rooted properly.

If this is the first time rooting. I would suggest reading up in the development section....

CAGorman

Dec 21, 2012
There is an app in the playstore called root checker. It will test your phone to make sure it's rooted properly.

If this is the first time rooting. I would suggest reading up in the development section....

That is sthe exact app I used and it said it was rooted. I am just not sure what ROM to use at this point. I really just want to strip off the bloatware and crack the tethering to make my phone a free hot spot so I can connect my tablet to it when traveling.

Skunk Ape1

Nov 26, 2011
Killeen
That is sthe exact app I used and it said it was rooted. I am just not sure what ROM to use at this point. I really just want to strip off the bloatware and crack the tethering to make my phone a free hot spot so I can connect my tablet to it when traveling.

I would start with titanium backup pro. And freeze your apps. When after a week if there are no bad effects. Then remove them with titanium. It's also a good idea to back the apps up before removing them so you can reinstall them just in case.

CAGorman

Dec 21, 2012
I would start with titanium backup pro. And freeze your apps. When after a week if there are no bad effects. Then remove them with titanium. It's also a good idea to back the apps up before removing them so you can reinstall them just in case.

does freezing prevent me from using them? should I back them up 1st or back them up after freezing

Skunk Ape1

Nov 26, 2011
Killeen
does freezing prevent me from using them? should I back them up 1st or back them up after freezing

When you freeze them they disappear from your app tray like there not there. It completely disables them. You can back them up anytime before you delete them.Do it doesn't matter if you backup before our after you freeze them.

Reactions: l3lu

freakboy13

Sep 15, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
Just wanted to ssy thsnks skunk!

I did the kies jb update, lost root, but got it right back!
Only thing that was a pia was I had to reformat my sd card but whatevs .
So yeah if you get read errors or camera not saving to ext. Ex Storage reformat and its gtg!

Is there any way to get back the data toggle in the drop down menu?
Wtf why samsung take that away?
Thx SA!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Skunk Ape1

Nov 26, 2011
Killeen
Just wanted to ssy thsnks skunk!

I did the kies jb update, lost root, but got it right back!
Only thing that was a pia was I had to reformat my sd card but whatevs .
So yeah if you get read errors or camera not saving to ext. Ex Storage reformat and its gtg!

Is there any way to get back the data toggle in the drop down menu?
Wtf why samsung take that away?
Thx SA!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I have the Sprint so I don't know about the data toggle. Sprint jb didn't take ours away...

CAGorman

Dec 21, 2012
When you freeze them they disappear from your app tray like there not there. It completely disables them. You can back them up anytime before you delete them.Do it doesn't matter if you backup before our after you freeze them.

So basically i should only freeze the apps i am thinking about removing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Guide deleted....
    Okay, I've taken the time to tinker with Heimdall a bit to get the partition identifiers from my own phone (which matches up from the info from this old thread), and have put together the following, which seems to work for me. This was with Heimdall 1.4-rc1; I think earlier versions don't accept numeric identifiers.

You'd probably better have a plan on hand to get things back to normal if this doesn't work (I'm not responsible for your bricking your own device if this doesn't work).

You'll need to extract the .tar image before using this; if you're at a command line,
    Code:
    tar xf <image>.tar
    should suffice to do that. You'll end up with the following files:
    Code:
    aboot.mbn
    boot.img
    cache.img.ext4
    NON-HLOS.bin
    recovery.img
    rpm.mbn
    sbl2.mbn
    sbl3.mbn
    system.img.ext4
    tz.mbn
    Afterwards, boot your phone into download mode (from a powered-down phone, Vol Down + Home + Power Button until you see the Samsung logo) and make sure you're completely ready and have backups and all before you run the following (I'm not going to be held responsible for you bricking your own phone and being unable to recover from it afterwards):

Code:
    heimdall flash --1 NON-HLOS.bin --3 sbl2.mbn --4 sbl3.mbn --5 aboot.mbn --6 rpm.mbn --7 boot.img --8 tz.mbn --14 system.img.ext4 --17 cache.img.ext4 --18 recovery.img

You should be able to get away with flashing only some of those images instead of all of them (in particular, if you have a third party recovery from somewhere, you might want to omit the recovery image); that said, if you're only flashing some of the specified images as opposed to all of them, I'm almost certain it will trip the flash counter. (I don't know if flashing *everything* will trip the flash counter or not, though, seeing as I deliberately did not flash the recovery during my own test for ease of restoring my phone to its normal happy state.)
    Does this method trip the flash counter? :confused:

Yes it does. But it's not an issue. Just run triangle away just before going back to stock and it will reset you back to zero.

See the instructions to unroot and return to stock.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=215018
    Jelly bean ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

Yes... It will work with Jellybean. This method does not install a prerooted image tar. So it will root whatever Is on your phone without any regard. It simply installs custom recovery and root.
    Thanks man! Followed the guide on GalaxyS3Root.com after updating Jelly bean and it failed. This one works perfectly on my AT&T GS3! Cheers!

No problem... the at&t guys on Android Central have been using my guide to root their phones for quite some time now. So I know it works. Glad you were successful. :D