[Q] Used M7 has preload files missing (Sense 6 OTA problem)

Search This thread

kuzumitaiga

Apr 16, 2014
Hi, I require assistance. bought this used unit of M7 (normal edition) a few months back. Totally new to the Android scene before then.

It came with 4.4.2 and Sense 5.5, I had assumed it was untampered with and is fully stock.

Software version is 4.20.707.6, Asia WWE. CL308312 release keys (whatever that means)

kernel 3.4.10-g499e571

So when I had tried to update it via OTA to HTC Sense 6 (file size 666.06MB, what the.. Satan?)

I'd go through it for the first 30% and then it'd be in a red triangle with exclamation mark, which then made me press the volume and power button and got this:
g4BHkN2l.jpg

showing that soundhound_freemium is missing, uhh...

It would then boot back normally and go back to the normal Sense 5.5. But I do want the Sense 6 badly and get this issue solved.

I was pretty dumbfounded with this issue as I am new to Android and everyone else is receiving their updates smoothly.

Now I choose not to proceed without the advice of XDA forumers, I wish to ask of what is the next step for me? I came across with the explanation that I'd need to do an RUU to get back to stock? Feeling pretty much dumber from that point on, there are so many RUU files around that I do not know which one I should be using? Any help on this is appreciated.

Steps done so far:

Factory reset from settings
Factory reset from recovery mode
Installing soundhound from Play Store (yea.. no difference)
Continuously attempting it at least 11 to 13 times, still the same thing over again.

BTW: I seem to be getting the app called WeChat every time I reset my phone, I wonder why... I know it's a messaging app but didn't know it'd come with the phone pre-loaded.. uh..

oh and oh, apart from OTA, any other way for me to install it from PC or something? I remember being able to update via iTunes instead of OTA for a newer version of iOS, although of course that was iOS, just wondering if it were possible for the Android as well. Hmm.. oh well :rolleyes:

I would really appreciate all the help I can get, really want the Sense 6 UI to test, thank you very much! :eek:

EDIT: added bootloader image
4FhvnTMl.jpg

Last edited:

gaara6775

Apr 9, 2013
Pune
Hi, I require assistance. bought this used unit of M7 (normal edition) a few months back. Totally new to the Android scene before then.

It came with 4.4.2 and Sense 5.5, I had assumed it was untampered with and is fully stock.

Software version is 4.20.707.6, Asia WWE. CL308312 release keys (whatever that means)

kernel 3.4.10-g499e571

So when I had tried to update it via OTA to HTC Sense 6 (file size 666.06MB, what the.. Satan?)

I'd go through it for the first 30% and then it'd be in a red triangle with exclamation mark, which then made me press the volume and power button and got this:
g4BHkN2l.jpg

It would then boot back normally and go back to the normal Sense 5.5. But I do want the Sense 6 badly and get this issue solved.

I was pretty dumbfounded with this issue as I am new to Android and everyone else is receiving their updates smoothly.

Now I choose not to proceed without the advice of XDA forumers, I wish to ask of what is the next step for me? I came across with the explanation that I'd need to do an RUU to get back to stock? Feeling pretty much dumber from that point on, there are so many RUU files around that I do not know which one I should be using? Any help on this is appreciated.

Steps done so far:

Continuously attempting it at least 11 to 13 times, still the same thing over again.

BTW: I seem to be getting the app called WeChat every time I reset my phone, I wonder why... I know it's a messaging app but didn't know it'd come with the phone pre-loaded.. uh..

oh and oh, apart from OTA, any other way for me to install it from PC or something? I remember being able to update via iTunes instead of OTA for a newer version of iOS, although of course that was iOS, just wondering if it were possible for the Android as well. Hmm.. oh well :rolleyes:

I would really appreciate all the help I can get, really want the Sense 6 UI to test, thank you very much! :eek:

4FhvnTMl.jpg

firstly on which carrier you are? as you said you tried like 11-13 times but still no luck,well in that case root your device and then install sense 6 rom. I know you are new to android but watch YouTube videos couple of times on how to root HTC one and then install any custom rom.
regarding we chat I read it's preloaded app in the sense 6 update so May be it's just save that app not the whole sense 6 software.
try to factory reset the phone and then update.

kuzumitaiga

Apr 16, 2014
firstly on which carrier you are? as you said you tried like 11-13 times but still no luck,well in that case root your device and then install sense 6 rom. I know you are new to android but watch YouTube videos couple of times on how to root HTC one and then install any custom rom.
regarding we chat I read it's preloaded app in the sense 6 update so May be it's just save that app not the whole sense 6 software.
try to factory reset the phone and then update.

hi there! I have tried factory resetting and updating, still the same error! Is there any way for me to update to Sense 6 without rooting? Thank you for your time. As for the carrier, I believe it is an unlocked version, bought it from someone in Malaysia.

gaara6775

Apr 9, 2013
Pune
hi there! I have tried factory resetting and updating, still the same error! Is there any way for me to update to Sense 6 without rooting? Thank you for your time. As for the carrier, I believe it is an unlocked version, bought it from someone in Malaysia.

I just checked and found out the update has started rolling out for Asian region as few of the Indian users & China regions are receiving updates but not all of them. well if you are not comfortable rooting your device I would advice to wait for couple of days & try again later as may be current update is not getting installed on your device. May be HTC fixes these in coming days. As far as i remember they don't provide full fledge update in the world instead they do roll out updates region wise like that they keep on improving any drawbacks occured in previous regions. so till then patience my friend :)
or else try going to htc store and ask their help,they might flash the sense 6 Rom or can tell you what exactly is the problem(if there is any) .

Last edited:

mb_guy

Sep 6, 2008
Winnipeg

kernel 3.4.10-g499e571

g4BHkN2l.jpg

Steps done so far:

4FhvnTMl.jpg

Ya, I cannot find a RUU for you to flash so that your device is completely stock. Rooting etc. isn't required.
Best you can do is this:
Flash TWRP recovery 2.6.3.3
restore the nandroid backup from here http://www.htc1guru.com/dld/m7-twrp-nandroid-backup-cid-htc__044-_-4-20-707-6-asia-wwe-zip/
Then flash the stock recovery from here http://d-h.st/jTn

Then check for the sense 6 OTA and install.
NOTE: You will likely loose data doing this, backup first.
I would also wait for more replies today, @alary , @nkk71 or others may have additional information to help

nkk71

Inactive Recognized Developer / Contributor
May 26, 2010
Beirut

the OTA won't install no matter what you try; it is failing the check on the /data/preload app(s)

at one point your phone was bootloader unlocked and S-Off, and the previous owner didn't do a very good job at putting it back to 100% stock, and unfortunately there is no RUU for 4.20.707.6 or higher (as far as i can tell), so there is no "easy fix" for this.

if you want to return to stock (and be able to receive OTAs), you're going to have to unlock bootloader, achieve S-Off (if possible??), and follow one of the return to stock guides (I have one in my signature).
or use a custom ROM.

You have a journey ahead of you, so time to do some research and reading.

Good Luck

kuzumitaiga

Apr 16, 2014
the OTA won't install no matter what you try; it is failing the check on the /data/preload app(s)

at one point your phone was bootloader unlocked and S-Off, and the previous owner didn't do a very good job at putting it back to 100% stock, and unfortunately there is no RUU for 4.20.707.6 or higher (as far as i can tell), so there is no "easy fix" for this.

if you want to return to stock (and be able to receive OTAs), you're going to have to unlock bootloader, achieve S-Off (if possible??), and follow one of the return to stock guides (I have one in my signature).
or use a custom ROM.

Good Luck
Good day! Thank you for your time, I have read lightly on your super guide, however at this point I believe it might be easier for me to just install another custom ROM instead, not especially keen on getting official OTAs, may I ask if I can just install cyanogenmod 11 (or other ROM you'd recommend) at this point? Is it possible? Thank you!
Ya, I cannot find a RUU for you to flash so that your device is completely stock. Rooting etc. isn't required.
Best you can do is this:
Flash TWRP recovery 2.6.3.3
restore the nandroid backup from here http://www.htc1guru.com/dld/m7-twrp-nandroid-backup-cid-htc__044-_-4-20-707-6-asia-wwe-zip/
Then flash the stock recovery from here http://d-h.st/jTn

Then check for the sense 6 OTA and install.
NOTE: You will likely loose data doing this, backup first.
I would also wait for more replies today, @alary , @nkk71 or others may have additional information to help
Hi, I'm not sure if I should attempt this? As nkk71 has said that this might not be an easy process.. Hmm.. Actually to be honest in not especially keen on getting OTA, I prefer the stock Android experience and stuff, not a fan of blinkfeed, should I just get cyanogemod 11? As I understand there is an installer for it right? A step similar to jail breaking iOS devices by using a simple installer, perhaps?
I just checked and found out the update has started rolling out for Asian region as few of the Indian users & China regions are receiving updates but not all of them. well if you are not comfortable rooting your device I would advice to wait for couple of days & try again later as may be current update is not getting installed on your device. May be HTC fixes these in coming days. As far as i remember they don't provide full fledge update in the world instead they do roll out updates region wise like that they keep on improving any drawbacks occured in previous regions. so till then patience my friend :)
or else try going to htc store and ask their help,they might flash the sense 6 Rom or can tell you what exactly is the problem(if there is any) .
Hi, in light to the possibility of my phone being bootloader unlocked before, I doubt the service centre would assist me in getting the OTA. maybe I'll give it a try, but thank you for your suggestion. :) I appreciate it. :) Everyone around me is getting the update fine though, I'm sure I'm an isolated case. :)

gaara6775

Apr 9, 2013
Pune
Good day! Thank you for your time, I have read lightly on your super guide, however at this point I believe it might be easier for me to just install another custom ROM instead, not especially keen on getting official OTAs, may I ask if I can just install cyanogenmod 11 (or other ROM you'd recommend) at this point? Is it possible? Thank you!

Hi, I'm not sure if I should attempt this? As nkk71 has said that this might not be an easy process.. Hmm.. Actually to be honest in not especially keen on getting OTA, I prefer the stock Android experience and stuff, not a fan of blinkfeed, should I just get cyanogemod 11? As I understand there is an installer for it right? A step similar to jail breaking iOS devices by using a simple installer, perhaps?

Hi, in light to the possibility of my phone being bootloader unlocked before, I doubt the service centre would assist me in getting the OTA. maybe I'll give it a try, but thank you for your suggestion. :) I appreciate it. :) Everyone around me is getting the update fine though, I'm sure I'm an isolated case. :)

wekcome and good luck to whatever you do. don't be disheartened by others getting update, just learn to root n install custom sense roms with their amazing tweaks for eg- ViperOne Rom.

kuzumitaiga

Apr 16, 2014
wekcome and good luck to whatever you do. don't be disheartened by others getting update, just learn to root n install custom sense roms with their amazing tweaks for eg- ViperOne Rom.

Most likely ill learn how to root and install custom rooms soon. :) however I have one more question, as my main interest is now cyanogenmod, and they have an installer for it:

1) the installer doesn't need a rooted phone, so does that mean the installer will do the rooting for me?
2) the installer states that it is recommended for the phone to be in stock android, is my current version considered stock? Although not 100% stock as it doesn't have the preloaded apps?

mfpreach

Nov 17, 2007

or use a custom ROM.

Good Luck
it is not true that someone must have caused this issue unlocking.
I have the same problem and I'm the first owner and my unit is completely stock. Mine fails in settings.apk

nkk71

Inactive Recognized Developer / Contributor
May 26, 2010
Beirut
it is not true that someone must have caused this issue unlocking.
I have the same problem and I'm the first owner and my unit is completely stock. Mine fails in settings.apk

interesting, but weird, I could understand the /data/preload apps but settings.apk is part of /system/app .... that should definitely not happen... and impossible to change without root / unsecured kernel / custom recovery.

maybe you should contact HTC and let them know

EDIT: maybe you should check the SHA-1 on /system/app/settings.apk and compare that to the updater-script

Last edited:

dark0ne

Feb 24, 2008
Bucharest
Hi, I also have this issue. How about if we copy /data/preload from the OTA.zip itself (after downloading)? or from an older OTA.zip
I tried that, but on a certain app, it says unexpected content... (e.g: HTCSoundRecorder.apk). Does the OTA check the apk MD5 or something?
I really want the OTA, because I can't S-OFF right now (firewater whelp, cpu rev 003). HTC__622, x.708 rom.

mr.mohsinbaig

Jun 29, 2014
same issue

i have exactly the same issue. mine was cid 332. latin american m7 htc one sense5.5 hboot 1.56
on update to sense 6 its stuck on 30 % with red triangle. once open their is message preload not found tunein.apk missing.

after 1.5 month the update available for my cid but cant install it. i unlock by htcdev but still s-on and not rooted. i reset factory setting from recovery \ bootloader \ phone and problem still the same.i dont want custom ROM

i check with local htc. they told me to check with america HTC help line as my phone is from american region. i dont know why i got latin american region phone in middle east. thanks to online store. HTC American region just waste my days and after all the serial and model detail they told me since you are in middle east visit their branch in Qatar. how i should visit qatar for fixing phone to get sense 6?

well check in dubai service center they told me that motherboard need to replace cost 40% of phone. since i unlock by htc itself i still need to pay for 3 month used device.

i am exhausted.

Seanie280672

Feb 27, 2012
Halesowen
Hi, I also have this issue. How about if we copy /data/preload from the OTA.zip itself (after downloading)? or from an older OTA.zip
I tried that, but on a certain app, it says unexpected content... (e.g: HTCSoundRecorder.apk). Does the OTA check the apk MD5 or something?
I really want the OTA, because I can't S-OFF right now (firewater whelp, cpu rev 003). HTC__622, x.708 rom.

This is actually the easiest way to do this, but you must get hold of the current software number OTA on your phone, not the one you are trying to install.

so if you currently have 4.22.401.11 for instance, you must grab this same OTA and pull data/preload and its contents, which is all of the missing apps etc, from that OTA, copy to your phone, CHANGE THE PERMISSIONS, restart your phone and re-run check for updates.

nb, you must also have stock recovery on your phone for OTA's to work.

ahmed blue

Jun 2, 2014

kernel 3.4.10-g499e571

g4BHkN2l.jpg

Steps done so far:

Install odexed zip in twrp will fix 100%
4FhvnTMl.jpg
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2799281

---------- Post added at 10:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 AM ----------

i have exactly the same issue. mine was cid 332. latin american m7 htc one sense5.5 hboot 1.56
on update to sense 6 its stuck on 30 % with red triangle. once open their is message preload not found tunein.apk missing.

after 1.5 month the update available for my cid but cant install it. i unlock by htcdev but still s-on and not rooted. i reset factory setting from recovery \ bootloader \ phone and problem still the same.i dont want custom ROM

i check with local htc. they told me to check with america HTC help line as my phone is from american region. i dont know why i got latin american region phone in middle east. thanks to online store. HTC American region just waste my days and after all the serial and model detail they told me since you are in middle east visit their branch in Qatar. how i should visit qatar for fixing phone to get sense 6?

well check in dubai service center they told me that motherboard need to replace cost 40% of phone. since i unlock by htc itself i still need to pay for 3 month used device.

i am exhausted.

Install odexed zip Rom , http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2799281

Last edited: