[Voodoo Lagfix] : Play Voodoo with STOCK ECLAIR / FROYO kernels! - UPDATE : JM9 , JPM

Search This thread

dkcldark

Jul 3, 2010
Sorry for being so late. I've been extremely busy recently..

Thank you very much.

-----------------------------------------------

I've made a new update.zip

This is 98% identical with the original Voodoo lagfix-only 3.0. :D

the only differences are

1. loading modules on booting.

2. using stock JM8 kernel

Thanks ^^

# to users who are using the previous voodoo-with-stock kernels

-> Overwrite it!

##########

THANK YOU SUPERCURIO!!!!!

##########

### EDIT ###

1. updated JM9 support!!

2. FroYo JPM support : just remove the ".zip" at the end (Only for Odin flashing at the moment)

Attachments

• Voodoo_3.0_with_stock_JM8_update.zip
    6.1 MB · Views: 2,975
  • Voodoo_3.0_with_stock_JM9_update.zip
    6.1 MB · Views: 636
  • Voodoo_5_pre4_with_stock_JPM.tar.zip
    5.6 MB · Views: 815
Last edited:

ed10000

Jun 9, 2010
How did you modify the JM8 kernel? I thought we were limited to using the source provided by Samsung for the kernel (which is probably not the exact same as the ones used in its firmwares). Anyway, great work! Off to read more about NILFS2 now :)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

RyanZA

Jan 21, 2006
JHB
How did you modify the JM8 kernel? I thought we were limited to using the source provided by Samsung for the kernel (which is probably not the exact same as the ones used in its firmwares). Anyway, great work! Off to read more about NILFS2 now :)

He found a nice way to modify kernels. He has a post up on it earlier. :)

Any chance for a JH2 or JM5 kernel as well? Preferably with EXT4! :D I don't like NILFS2 myself, since it feels sluggish. :(

bub181

Jul 23, 2007
This is great news. Could you post a version that uses EXT4 with the JM8 kernel please? I'd like to use the stock kernel rather than one compiled from source like in voodoo because I assume it's better optimised. Could you also post the files you used and some instructions on how you did it? I'd like to have a look at how it's implemented. Thanks!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

RyanZA

Jan 21, 2006
JHB

the benchmark said:
We are not done with our EXT4 vs. Btrfs vs. NILFS2 file-system testing as we still have to run these new file-systems on a solid state disk, but as it stands right now

Please read your own benchmark! Solid state != Spinning disk. ;)
Not to say the results would definitely change, but the benchmark itself is fairly useless for the SGS. :)

Benson17

Jul 29, 2010
Nice work, will try it!

So this is only a repacked zImage with nilfs2.ko kernel module? To compile the kernel module you still need the kernel sources, right? Just asking because you mentioned in your last thread (if i remember right) that you are working on a froyo version...

dkcldark

Jul 3, 2010
Sound interesting.
What about Benchmarking and battery life?
Thanks for developing.

>>> around 1300 with quadrant, haven't tested battery life yet. :D

Quadrant scores? Pros and Cons over VooDoo??

>>> quadrant => around 1300 but it's really fast!

>>> I wrote an instruction how to unpack/repack zImage, you could find it easily.

>>> Oh thanks. but I don't really care about benchmarks since this is quite great for me.

This is great news. Could you post a version that uses EXT4 with the JM8 kernel please? I'd like to use the stock kernel rather than one compiled from source like in voodoo because I assume it's better optimised. Could you also post the files you used and some instructions on how you did it? I'd like to have a look at how it's implemented. Thanks!
Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

>>> Yeah, this is my next working! and you can find an instruction on XDA, I've written it but was buried :D

Is this going to work even though I have JM1 installed? Having that you used the JM8 kernel.
Thanks!

>>> Haven't tested but it should work well!

Nice work, will try it!
So this is only a repacked zImage with nilfs2.ko kernel module? To compile the kernel module you still need the kernel sources, right? Just asking because you mentioned in your last thread (if i remember right) that you are working on a froyo version...

>>> yes, exactly! We'll be able to apply awesome lagfixes as soon as we have some required modules! I'm asking some people to give those modules to me but no luck yet.

Last edited:

cyq1857

Aug 12, 2010
hi,i m a new comer.i have jm8 for my galaxy,and i installed voodoo lagfix 3.0 which one does not include the color solution.
if i create a file or folder named “disable lagfix” in a a directory named “Voodoo” and reboot the phone to disable the voodoo 3.0,can i install you version of voodoo using NILFS2.
thanks!

ed10000

Jun 9, 2010
He found a nice way to modify kernels. He has a post up on it earlier. :)

Any chance for a JH2 or JM5 kernel as well? Preferably with EXT4! :D I don't like NILFS2 myself, since it feels sluggish. :(

Ah! Awesome! I must've missed thar thread.

Been using this for the past 2 hours, and the phone is flying! Sure I get a low Quadrant score but my phone has never been this fast and responsive. I must say, it's even faster than the ext4 voodoo fix.

But does it keep taking "snapshots" every now and then or have you disabled this feature? 'Coz I wouldn't want excessive reads and writes on my internal sd unnecessarily. I had low expectations for this fix considering the snapshot "feature" of the filesystem and the benchmark posted earlier in this thread, but now I'm amazed by how fast this is!

On rfs, loading apps like xda or gallery for the first time resulted in 3-4 seconds of black screen. With ext4 voodoo, about 1 second for xda and 3-4 seconds for gallery. But now with this one, xda opens up instantly and the gallery loads up within a second! Very impressed I am. Thanks for the wonderful work :)

dupel

Jun 2, 2010
London
Emm, is initramfs_data.cpio.zip the update.zip ? Cos from what I understand its not. Than where the original file is?

Never mind, managed to look at it just as it was reuploaded =)

So, should it be alright to disable voodoo, flash any other kernel (to remove lagfix), remove disabling file, flash your kernel?

EDIT2. Do you mind uploadng the stock JM8 kernel for reverting, since you have it?

Last edited:

dkcldark

Jul 3, 2010
hi,i m a new comer.i have jm8 for my galaxy,and i installed voodoo lagfix 3.0 which one does not include the color solution.
if i create a file or folder named “disable lagfix” in a a directory named “Voodoo” and reboot the phone to disable the voodoo 3.0,can i install you version of voodoo using NILFS2.
thanks!

>>> yeah, correct! It should work.

Ah! Awesome! I must've missed thar thread.

Been using this for the past 2 hours, and the phone is flying! Sure I get a low Quadrant score but my phone has never been this fast and responsive. I must say, it's even faster than the ext4 voodoo fix.

But does it keep taking "snapshots" every now and then or have you disabled this feature? 'Coz I wouldn't want excessive reads and writes on my internal sd unnecessarily. I had low expectations for this fix considering the snapshot "feature" of the filesystem and the benchmark posted earlier in this thread, but now I'm amazed by how fast this is!

On rfs, loading apps like xda or gallery for the first time resulted in 3-4 seconds of black screen. With ext4 voodoo, about 1 second for xda and 3-4 seconds for gallery. But now with this one, xda opens up instantly and the gallery loads up within a second! Very impressed I am. Thanks for the wonderful work :)

>>> I love using NILFS2 :D. It does keep taking snapshots but it doesn't demage the movinand..I think. the only lag comes when it's GCing.

Emm, is initramfs_data.cpio.zip the update.zip ? Cos from what I understand its not. Than where the original file is?

Never mind, managed to look at it just as it was reuploaded =)

So, should it be alright to disable voodoo, flash any other kernel (to remove lagfix), remove disabling file, flash your kernel?

>>> yes, it should be, at least with mine!

ed10000

Jun 9, 2010
BTW, I forgot to mention that I lost root after applying the NILFS2 fix. How do I root it now? Just use BackfireNL's update.zip method? Will the lagfix still stay?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    wow, you are still using JF3? I'd recommend an update to JM9. i'm sure this will fix your problems :D

Nah, I've waited for FroYo for so freaking long now that it would feel like giving up if I upgraded to JM9 :D

It should be here any day.. I mean weak.. erm.. month now! No matter when it comes out, I'm sure by that time everybody will be screeming out for Gingerbread. Or, as we know Samsung, possibly even Honeycomb... OK, sorry for the desperate off topic post...