[Q] Galaxy Tab battery drains full to empty in 20 minutes

Search This thread

Deadbeef

Feb 17, 2005
Yesterday morning I pulled the TAB from the net adapter. Immediately it beeped and turned off. Plugging it back in, the battery indicator went from 0 to 100% in 5 minutes.
Turning it back on, it died in 10-20 minutes.
Turned it back off again, fully loaded it again and played a movie on it, 50% back-light. It lasted for just 20 minutes.

I made a backup to SD, did a factory reset and charged the unit (powered off) to 100%.
Did a restore, and everything worked again.
Battery is still working at 80% after an evening of restoring apps and a night of stand-by.

What the heck happened?

Deadbeef

Feb 17, 2005
perhaps one of your apps? try installing them a few at a time to see which app is causing it

I also think it's a software problem, after the problem disappeared with the factory reset.

I'm going to check slowly which program is the culprit.
I just can't imagine that a program can stress the TAB so hard it realy drains the battery.
I think it could probably be a misguidance of the android OS from a wrong setting?

MasterRy88

Jan 7, 2011
Pomona CA
I had a similar problem but not nearly as bad as yours. I had my tab unplugged for a while and checked the batter: 30%. So that was fine so I opened up dolphin and INSTANTLY the screen went really dim and said I had less than 3% battery which I did not believe.

Turning the tab off and back on the battery was now at 27%. This only happened that one time and I havent seen it agian. Must be some weird battery level reading bug.....

morkman

Apr 3, 2006
I have the same situation and also make a backup and factory reset amd later a restore.
That was 2 months ago and until now it works like a charme.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using XDA App

Dann

Jan 24, 2008
GUADALAJARA
Power off g tab drain the batt

I have my Galaxy Tab for about 3 days ago. Charge to 100% the battery, and then, I decide power off (totally) the Tab. Hold power button, and in the pop-up window, power off the phone!!

After a 1 hour, I saw the screen message with the android icon "POWER RESET or UPLOAD MODE"....and drain totally the battery!!!

What can I do???

See the attached image.......please help me!!

Attachments

• GTab-problema.jpg
    GTab-problema.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 1,468

knightnz

Dec 12, 2009
Wellington
Only 2 things are likely to cause this, the battery being stuffed, or the battery stats database getting corrupted. You could try the "bump charge" method and see if it resets it. (Charge fully while on from AC, unplug, turn it off, charge for an hour or so from AC, unplug, turn it on, turn it off again once booted, charge for another hour or so, unplug, turn it on).

The battery stats can be wiped from the CWM recovery if you wanted to flash that, I'm not sure where the file lives to do it manually.

henrylam

May 1, 2008
I have my Galaxy Tab for about 3 days ago. Charge to 100% the battery, and then, I decide power off (totally) the Tab. Hold power button, and in the pop-up window, power off the phone!!

After a 1 hour, I saw the screen message with the android icon "POWER RESET or UPLOAD MODE"....and drain totally the battery!!!

What can I do???

See the attached image.......please help me!!
Hi, just like to share my experience with you guys. I encountered the same problem as mentioned, especially the sudden request to shut down due to battery becoming 3%, although it has 50% left. I tried recharging a few times but the same thing happens, something, it will shut down at 30% battery power level. Then, one afternoon, while I was looking at my pictures (at Gallery), I saw duplication of my photos (3 times) that appeared on my gallery folder. But the key issue is I stored all these pictures (taken by camera or by transfer from PC) in the microSD card (8GB). I tried to do a deletion on the addition pictures (it showed 3, so I tried to delete 2). But to no avail, and the system keep processing even though I tried stopping it. After about 2 minutes, the promot came up, requesting me to do a shut down saying the battery level was low, although I have about 50% battery power left. So, I shut down the tab immediately and removed the microSD card. After that, I switched on the tab and it says 50% power left. But I have to make sure it is possible to utilize the tab until it drains out the battery. Finally, I managed to cross the 20% power level and the tab can still be used :).

I was curious about my microSD card, thinking that it may be faulty. I used a pc to open up the content and I discovered the SD card has no problem at all, it didn't have duplication when viewed from the pc. For your information, I have installed "angry bird" onto the 8GB microSD card, I am not sure if it is causing any problem to the tab or draining power from it, because the download (from Goggle market) mentioned something about "preventing phone from sleeping - System tools". I am not sure how this is link to the duplication of the pictures in the gallery folder as well, but I am glad I have found the fault to the draining of the power by the tab.

I would suggest, before anyone proceed with the factory reset, do a check on your storage card or the apps that you have installed in your tab, try to solve the simple way and it can save us a lot of troubles :).

I hope it helps............

Henry Lam

Beards

Nov 3, 2008
As knightnz mentions ~ It's the Battery Stats Database being corrupt.

To repair, simply:-
Connect the Tab to it's Charging Cable and ensure the Tab is switched Off.
Next, hold the Power On Button whilst at the same time touch and hold the screen.
You will notice the battery indicator will pop up.
The Tablet will now reboot.
Everything should now return back to normal.

This procedure can also be used for a Tab that refuses to switch on.

Last edited:

shinji21

Nov 30, 2005
San Jose
Should I do this when the tab is off? or when it is on?

I actually tried both, but I dont see "the battery indicator pop up" as mentioned.

Hold the Power On Button whilst at the same time touch and hold the screen.
Next you will notice the battery indicator will pop up.

Beards

Nov 3, 2008
Should I do this when the tab is off? or when it is on?

I actually tried both, but I dont see "the battery indicator pop up" as mentioned.
Actually, I missed out an important ingredient ~ The Power Cable.
You need to have the Tab connected to your charging cable as if you were charging the Tab and the Tab switched Off.
Next, hold the Power On Button whilst at the same time touch and hold the screen.

I'll amend my previous instructions to include the Power Cable.

loonyt

Jun 24, 2010

This is not working for me. The battery indicator pops up, but nothing else happens. The battery indicator even does not do any animations.

henrylam

May 1, 2008
Actually, I missed out an important ingredient ~ The Power Cable.
You need to have the Tab connected to your charging cable as if you were charging the Tab and the Tab switched Off.

I'll amend my previous instructions to include the Power Cable.
Hi Beards,

Sorry to ask again, is there any way to verify that it has been solved without really draining the power to 0%? Is there any clear indication?

Thanks.

Henry

Beards

Nov 3, 2008
This is not working for me. The battery indicator pops up, but nothing else happens. The battery indicator even does not do any animations.

Hi Beards,

Sorry to ask again, is there any way to verify that it has been solved without really draining the power to 0%? Is there any clear indication?

Thanks.

Henry
The trick is in holding the screen whilst powering up.... It bypasses the normal start-up routines, resetting any errors that would sometimes require a Factory Reset to correct.
This info was passed on to me by a Samsung representative.

TheChampJT

Feb 7, 2008
Easy fix, get a replacement, thts bad hardware, shouldn't have a problem exchanging, assuming it was purchased thru an auth retailer. No sense in messing with software and having a headache over it.

henrylam

May 1, 2008
Seriously, the press screen thing doesn't work at all. Eventually, I brought it to the service center to do a firmware upgrade and it is back to normal...............

New upgrade:
Baseband version: P1000DXJM2
Kernel version: 2.6.32.9 root@SE-5604#1
Build number: FROYO.DXJM4

The funny thing is my wife has a unit that was using the same version as mine (old version, we bought them at the same authorised dealer), but she did not encounter such problem. I am just puzzled.

shinji21

Nov 30, 2005
San Jose
It did not work for me either. Is the charging cable supposed to be plugged in to the power socket or just the cable? (I tried both and neither worked)

I also did a firmware upgrade with Roto JMIv2. And I still see the problem.......Anyone having any suggestions please?

Cyborgz

Apr 9, 2010
Manchester
If your GALAXY Tab is running from fully charged to flat in under 20 minutes I wouldn't recommend anything other then... Sending it back to where you go it from?!

shinji21

Nov 30, 2005
San Jose
It doesnt go flat in 20mins. As a matter of fact, it lasts a couple days with my work load. Its just that when i put it in standby mode let say overnight at 80%, when i turn it on in the morning the battery will be at 50-60%. But when i restart it will go back up to 78-79%.

So im not losing battery capacity here i believe, but its annoying to have inaccurate reading, especially when i am on a trip or sth.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using XDA App

henrylam

May 1, 2008
I can understand your predicament, I have those "moments" before. Mine just dies off and need reset to get the battery back. The unknown is always not welcomed to all since we paid so much for them.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

perhaps one of your apps? try installing them a few at a time to see which app is causing it