HTC Evo 3D and Sensation Battery Working in Desire HD!

Search This thread

tkolev

Sep 26, 2008
Sofia
Gotcha. Now I see it. Didn't realize the antenna extends across the battery cover. Thanks for the clarification.

Hmm, I'm thinking I can make an antenna using aluminum foil. :)

I received my Evo 3D battery today and it does indeed fit and works great. Fit is bit tight since the Evo 3D battery is a bit thicker (which actually works since the battery won't be moving around at all.) My TPU case fits w/ slight buldge. Nothing too noticeable and certainly liveable.

We'll see how the OEM HTC 1750mAh battery does vs. stock 1230mAh.

Putting a thicker battery is NOT a good idea. If it expands slightly due to heating while charging or heavy use, it will apply pressure to the screen. OEM batteries are less likely to expand dramatically than the chinese crap-batteries but if it's that thight fit as you describe, even a small expansion may lead to problems with the screen.

Sent from my A500 using XDA Premium App

imptb

Feb 28, 2011
Putting a thicker battery is NOT a good idea. If it expands slightly due to heating while charging or heavy use, it will apply pressure to the screen. OEM batteries are less likely to expand dramatically than the chinese crap-batteries but if it's that thight fit as you describe, even a small expansion may lead to problems with the screen.

but if he gets an OEM Evo 3D battery that problem can be solved:)

Reactions: stezo2k

knarfl1

Jul 1, 2010

I'm using OEM Evo 3D battery. $15 from Amazon.

Working like a charm. Watched couple of streaming movies via Netflix yesterday.

Wifi works fine at work and home with the make shift aluminum foil antenna.

I'll take my chances with "expanding battery" over 43% more mAh. Ox it doors happen, I'm jumping to a HD screen phone. :D

Murischas

Nov 9, 2011
One Question

I've been looking for a extended battery for my HTC Inspire 4G (Desire HD) and I just got my HTC Sensation with an Anker 1900mAh battery. Turns out if you remove the battery door for the Desire HD, YOU CAN USE HTC SENSATION AND EVO 3D BATTERIES IN YOU DESIRE HD!

The only problem is that the battery door won't fit back on, so you'll need to break the Desire HD's battery door for the WiFi to work. When you put a case on it, nothing is noticeable.

I'll post pictures soon to prove it's worth.

I'm using my 1900mAh Anker bettery in it right now ;)

Here's what needs to be done to Desire HD battery door:

213r9tv.jpg

Then after that's been done, put it back on the phone showed here:

14l7jvc.jpg

Now put on a case (any will do) and now you have an Evo 3D or Sensation battery working in your Desire HD!! :)

j9ngjq.jpg

If you want a new battery door, they are only $5.40 so mod away ;)

Here's a link to the replacement door: http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Back-Ba...ccessories&hash=item2a144fc023#ht_3765wt_1163

Hey man,

perhaps you can do something for me?
I really want to buy the Battery from the HTC Evo 3D for my Desire HD, but first I would like to know the Size of the Evo Battery. So I can compare to the Size of my Desire Battery.
Could you please post the Size, because i didn´t found anything about it anywhere else..
If you do that i will try to modify the Battery cover. (cut something out...)
Would be very nice.

Thank you ;)

knarfl1

Jul 1, 2010
b83b85f5-0df8-1226.jpg

b83b85f5-0e0a-307e.jpg

Oem Evo 3D Battery is working like a champ.

I'm a light user and phone is rooted with Revo rom.

knarfl1

Jul 1, 2010
OEM Evo 3D battery in Inspire stress test.

For about 1.5 hrs, had the following running:

Wifi
GPS
BT connected to car hands free device
Highest screen brightness
Navigation
Pandora streaming
Sync on for work email, gmail, fb, news weather
Phone was on car mount near vents pushing warm air

The phone got pretty hot as expected. However the battery and the phone are doing well.

Expanding battery destroying the screen? Guess it could happen someday. I'm waiting to hit a hole-in-one golf shot someday too.

imptb

Feb 28, 2011
For people who have done this mod, would it be possible to get closer pictures of the battery in the battery slot, i just want to see the clearances. I'm itchin to do this mod since my OEM battery is starting to lose capacity but im waiting for more info before i tackle this mod

Last edited:

gmurphy0487

Mar 2, 2011
Titusville, Fl
For people who have done this mod, would it be possible to get closer pictures of the battery in the battery slot, i just want to see the clearances. I'm itchin to do this mod since my OEM battery is starting to lose capacity but im waiting for more info before i tackle this mod

I ordered a battery and door and as soon as it comes in I am going to try to see if there is any way to modify the door so everything fits like factory. I will take pics once the stuff arrives.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk

Reactions: Dr. lele

anarchian

Nov 29, 2011
I just bought a DHD and already worried about battery life. I will probably follow this mod, but I also see plenty of 'replacement' battery with power as high as +2000 mAh. So those were fakes?

knarfl1

Jul 1, 2010

Basically there is no clearance. It's a snug fit.

You could sand down the battery case.

"at&t 4G? lol. It's more like 0.4G"

Dr. lele

Nov 4, 2010
Moto G
Xiaomi Poco F1
I just bought a DHD and already worried about battery life. I will probably follow this mod, but I also see plenty of 'replacement' battery with power as high as +2000 mAh. So those were fakes?

Seriously, anything that sounds too good to be true. Is untrue.

Just think a little bit, if there would fit 2000 or more mAh in the same size, why should htc not do it?

Even Mugen had to squeeze that much into it and thats why the mugen battery is so expensive. The Anker one is a little bit better than the stock one, too, but not near 1600 mAh.

More Juice?--->bigger battery. That's why we're all in this thread to get the sensation battery working :D

chue.hsien

Apr 2, 2011
- I sanded down a strip (of ditch) on the inside of my TPU case where the bigger battery's edge was touching. Now the case sits just like stock.

Hey, am interested in using the bigger batteries for my DHD.. After sanding down the TPU case is it possible to retain the stock wifi antenna? I tried to make an antenna with foil and got rather bad reception :((

EDIT: Is the ONLY thing affected the wifi antenna? if so i dont mind going out with a spoil wifi antenna since i only need 3G outside..

Last edited:

knoobie

May 12, 2011
Hi, can anyone with this mod shows a close up picture of the EVO3d battery in the phone and as well the battery cover?

Sent from my Desire HD using XDA App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've been looking for a extended battery for my HTC Inspire 4G (Desire HD) and I just got my HTC Sensation with an Anker 1900mAh battery. Turns out if you remove the battery door for the Desire HD, YOU CAN USE HTC SENSATION AND EVO 3D BATTERIES IN YOU DESIRE HD!

The only problem is that the battery door won't fit back on, so you'll need to break the Desire HD's battery door for the WiFi to work. When you put a case on it, nothing is noticeable.

I'll post pictures soon to prove it's worth.

I'm using my 1900mAh Anker bettery in it right now ;)

Here's what needs to be done to Desire HD battery door:

213r9tv.jpg

Then after that's been done, put it back on the phone showed here:

14l7jvc.jpg

Now put on a case (any will do) and now you have an Evo 3D or Sensation battery working in your Desire HD!! :)

j9ngjq.jpg

If you want a new battery door, they are only $5.40 so mod away ;)

Here's a link to the replacement door: http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Back-Ba...ccessories&hash=item2a144fc023#ht_3765wt_1163
    Here are the pictures:
    http :// imgur.com /a/GPoYQ

First Picture:
    This is what it looks like now. I forgot to take a picture to show you how much the battery stands out, but i guess it's obvious that i didn't cut out that big piece if i didn't have to.
    And no way i'm sanding down the battery. I want to use the phone, not let it spontaneously catch fire.
    But you can't tell it's like that when the otterbox is covering it.

Second Picture:
    That's my antenna so far. 2.4GHz has a wavelength of around 12cm. Since that doesn't fit, i used a 6cm aluminium foil stripe. It's not as good as the stock antenna but i'm getting wifi at home and at work so who cares?

Third Picture:
    You can see that there isn't any room between the battery and the unibody. But i marked the spot on the left where you can stick a whole toothpick. I guess Mugen isn't wrong to say that you CAN fit 1500mAh in there and still use the stock battery cover.

Fourth and Fifth Picture:
    View from above and closeup of the modified battery cover (i used a replacement..the original is still intact).
    I marked the spots where those little pins from the cover go. That's exactly what i needed to ensure that the battery can't come out.

And yes, i accidentally cut off the middle pin on the battery cover :( ....still works :)

next stop:
    http://power-skin.com/battery-cases/ap1508des/htc-desire-inspire.html
    powerskin for awesome 3400mAh! (1900 + 1500)
    That'd give you a freakin' 4.4 days of standby time....getting close to a week....
    I bought an Anker 1900 mAh Sensation battery and a new battery cover to try this solution.
    If this work, overclocking the CPU at 1.4GHz / 1.6GHz will make our DHD a top performer... As soon as I will get all the parts I'll try to remove the inner parts of the battery door and I'll let you know :)
    1.?? The wifi antenna is the top bit of the battery cover, which OP put back on the phone.

9102650.jpg
    Ok, I've had the Evo 3D battery running last few hours and here are some observations:

- No problem charging the battery to full AFAICT (reset the batt stats just for kicks.)
    - the aluminum foil as the DIY wifi antenna seems to be working fine. I laid down a 2" strip along the battery and unto the contact points, securing it with the cut piece of the battery cover.
    - Before the mod I got 1 bar at the far end of my house. AFAICT same after the mod with aluminum strip. Good enough for me.
    - I sanded down a strip (of ditch) on the inside of my TPU case where the bigger battery's edge was touching. Now the case sits just like stock.
    - Call HTC customer support and tell them you need a replacement battery door. If your phone is under warranty period, you'll get one for FREE.

Finally a battery solution that gives me 42% more battery while keeping the same form factor. Thanks OP.