Finally, Viewpad7 splash screen was changed! Step-by-step inside!

Search This thread

zombiegoaste

Mar 28, 2012
I LOVE THE SMELL OF FLASHED SPLASH SCREENS IN THE MORNING! IT SMELLS LIKE VICTORY! :D

Okay, I have finally figured out how to make custom splash screens for viewpad 7 and flash them into it (finally got rid of those birds, lol)

Unfortunately, I did not figure out how to dump the old screen (for some reason, flash_image dumps a 100% black image, but at least of correct size) but it's not hard to reproduce if worst comes to worst (aka warranty lol)

However, the new screen is flashed okay.

I'll describe the process of converting any vanilla image file to a viewpad-friendly splash screen (or, rather for that matter, any device-friendly, as long as you can dump the splash/splash1/whatev. partition at least as "black" file in order to get the exact correct size :cool:) and feeding it to the device later, in next post. Now need some sleep lol.

Last edited:

zombiegoaste

Mar 28, 2012
Okay, so, quick instructions for reflashing viewpad image

First, get the flash_image program (see attachment flash_image.zip below, or mirror)

load it up to your sdcard.

Fire up ADB shell in cmd prompt. To do so, do cmd from "run..." in windows start menu, navigate via cd to wherever adb is for you, like for instance
Code:
cd c:\Program Files\Switcher\FM6F_4027\
then do
Code:
adb shell

then do

Code:
su

then do

Code:
cp /sdcard/flash_image /system/bin

then finally

Code:
chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image

okay, that should get your ready to dump a (lame approximation of) original splash image dump.

To carry that out, first type

Code:
cat /proc/mtd

to find out what partitions are out there (the splash one will have "splash" in its name, duh). Note that viewsonic has the splash partition name being simply splash and not splash1 as most devices have.

On my device, the splash was mtd2

Now, let's try to back up the original splash.

Code:
cat /dev/mtd/mtd2 > /sdcard/splashbackup.img

Okay, here stuff goes weird for me because the file ends up all black (why oh why) but to hell with that, I only need it not to mess up image size.

Okay, now shut down the device and get the file splashbackup.img to your PC.

Rename it to say splashbackup.rgb565 (yes, change the extension)

Now, install Paint.NET and this plugin (both included in my mod pack btw)

Open the splashbackup.rgb565 with paint.net and likely the suggested dimensions will be the ones you want (might not be so for other devices, so take care. But don't worry - you can't kill the device by flashing a FUBAR splash image, so experiment bravely!)

Now, use paint.net to open a desired image in a "vanilla" format that you have likely ;) cooked up in Photoshop or downloaded from the web. Copy its contents to splashbackup.rgb565 and save the stuff as SPLASH.rgb565

You're almost there.
Now, download the zombiegoaste mod of glorious splash screen creator (VibrantOwnr thx!) and rename your desired SPLASH.rgb565 to SPLASH.IMG

Put SPLASH.IMG to "Results" folder of the modified SSC

Now, run Run This Program.CMD and it should guide you through the rest.

GOOD LUCK!

P.S.:

However, bear in mind that devices treat orientation...weirdly it seems, so get ready to manipulate the original image in the program of your choice to rotate stuff (rotate sucks in paint.net) and then redo the steps above that deal with turning a vanilla image into a SPLASH.rgb565

P.P.S.:
All files attached to post and uploaded to a file sharing service, just in case.

Hope this helps folks to easily make and flash custom splash images

Attachments

• ssc_zombiegoaste_mod.zip
    3.9 MB · Views: 86
  • flash_image.zip
    12.2 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

indyend

Feb 15, 2011
www.saensukcity.com
Thank you for share, but Im think Im will try hardly to do every way to see splash screen just one or maybe two time in a mounth.

Sent from my ViewPad7 using xda premium

MindWire

Jun 13, 2011
Thanks for posting.. Mac + Photoshop?

Im using a mac and have photoshop. Is there a way to open the rgb565 file in photoshop as I cannot use paint.net? I know that I can save any image I create as a rgb565 file using photoshop but I just cant open one... Perhaps you can give me the dimensions of the image you open up in paint.net to see if that works?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Okay, so, quick instructions for reflashing viewpad image

First, get the flash_image program (see attachment flash_image.zip below, or mirror)

load it up to your sdcard.

Fire up ADB shell in cmd prompt. To do so, do cmd from "run..." in windows start menu, navigate via cd to wherever adb is for you, like for instance
    Code:
    cd c:\Program Files\Switcher\FM6F_4027\
    then do
    Code:
    adb shell

then do

Code:
    su

then do

Code:
    cp /sdcard/flash_image /system/bin

then finally

Code:
    chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image

okay, that should get your ready to dump a (lame approximation of) original splash image dump.

To carry that out, first type

Code:
    cat /proc/mtd

to find out what partitions are out there (the splash one will have "splash" in its name, duh). Note that viewsonic has the splash partition name being simply splash and not splash1 as most devices have.

On my device, the splash was mtd2

Now, let's try to back up the original splash.

Code:
    cat /dev/mtd/mtd2 > /sdcard/splashbackup.img

Okay, here stuff goes weird for me because the file ends up all black (why oh why) but to hell with that, I only need it not to mess up image size.

Okay, now shut down the device and get the file splashbackup.img to your PC.

Rename it to say splashbackup.rgb565 (yes, change the extension)

Now, install Paint.NET and this plugin (both included in my mod pack btw)

Open the splashbackup.rgb565 with paint.net and likely the suggested dimensions will be the ones you want (might not be so for other devices, so take care. But don't worry - you can't kill the device by flashing a FUBAR splash image, so experiment bravely!)

Now, use paint.net to open a desired image in a "vanilla" format that you have likely ;) cooked up in Photoshop or downloaded from the web. Copy its contents to splashbackup.rgb565 and save the stuff as SPLASH.rgb565

You're almost there.
    Now, download the zombiegoaste mod of glorious splash screen creator (VibrantOwnr thx!) and rename your desired SPLASH.rgb565 to SPLASH.IMG

Put SPLASH.IMG to "Results" folder of the modified SSC

Now, run Run This Program.CMD and it should guide you through the rest.

GOOD LUCK!

P.S.:

However, bear in mind that devices treat orientation...weirdly it seems, so get ready to manipulate the original image in the program of your choice to rotate stuff (rotate sucks in paint.net) and then redo the steps above that deal with turning a vanilla image into a SPLASH.rgb565

P.P.S.:
    All files attached to post and uploaded to a file sharing service, just in case.

Hope this helps folks to easily make and flash custom splash images