Question about MMS and data.

Search This thread

Pawprints1986

Mar 26, 2014
Just wondering if there is some root type way to make your phone use ONLY MMS data??

Ive checked with a community specifically for my carrier, and the way they say doesnt work (changing the APN to MMS only.. it lets me select it, but nothing works unless internet + MMS is selected as the type.

So basically im wondering if there is some "illegal" root type of way to allow the same thing? Ive disabled background data on all apps that would let me except messaging (it doesnt seem to have ever used any, and since I want MMS it seemed silly not to allow it).

android itself seems to use a bit of background data and wont let me disallow that.

for the time being im stuck to waiting until im in a wifi area to send or receive MMS as i dont have (or want) a data plan. with my carrier MMS uses the data system but does not charge as though using data - theyre included within unlimited messaging. but sadly they must use the data network. if i could find a way to make sure that ONLY picture messages sending or receiving are using data.... i would be extremely pleased.

Anyone have any experience this?

Im running the rooted but full stock version of ICS 4.0.4 as can be found in the forums here. Dan's i think?

anyway, if someone with more exprience then me could let me know, that would be great!

Makshow

Jun 10, 2013
Kharkov
My carrier uses different APN for internet and MMS, and when I turn off GPRS, I'm still receiving advertising MMS from my carrier. In messages app there is setting to download MMS automatically, and it bypasses my GPRS internet restriction. Working as intended from the box.
But you have an issue with that? If you turn off mobile data, you lose MMS functionality? That's strange... I think it can be either carrier (we certainly don't have same carrier :) ) or ROM (I'm on cyanogenmod 11, Android 4.4). But there's also a tickbox on the page with data usage graph, called Restrict background data. It tells Android not to use data for background processes, may be that's exactly what you want.
And there's also an app called Droidwall. It's a firewall for Android, you can block access to the mobile data for every program except messaging app and still allow them to work with Wi-Fi. A wonderful app - no internet, no ads!

Pawprints1986

Mar 26, 2014
My carrier uses different APN for internet and MMS, and when I turn off GPRS, I'm still receiving advertising MMS from my carrier. In messages app there is setting to download MMS automatically, and it bypasses my GPRS internet restriction. Working as intended from the box.
But you have an issue with that? If you turn off mobile data, you lose MMS functionality? That's strange... I think it can be either carrier (we certainly don't have same carrier :) ) or ROM (I'm on cyanogenmod 11, Android 4.4). But there's also a tickbox on the page with data usage graph, called Restrict background data. It tells Android not to use data for background processes, may be that's exactly what you want.
And there's also an app called Droidwall. It's a firewall for Android, you can block access to the mobile data for every program except messaging app and still allow them to work with Wi-Fi. A wonderful app - no internet, no ads!

mine doesnt have any setting for GPRS at all. in fact im not even sure what it stands for! lol.

But thats right, no data = no MMS functioning.

I have gone in and disabled background data for everything that would let me, except the messaging app. and, the android OS itself uses a little bit?? which i cant disable...

Does the firewall actually work? I only ask because, i recently tried a startup manager, which when i went in after reboot, i found that apps i told only to start when called upon were still automatically running when i went into app manager.

Makshow

Jun 10, 2013
Kharkov
If you have root, droidwall should work. It changes iptables, so the selected programs can't send or receive data. Just run it once, apply changes and the changes are persistent until you change them again.