Droid 2 Global on GSM

Search This thread

FunkyMcBain

Aug 16, 2010
Ottawa
Hey guys, I saw this Global edition is coming out, anyone know if it would work straight up on a GSM network? I'm on Rogers in Canada, same netwrok as AT&T and unfortunately GSM android phone selection blows and I've wanted a Droid for ever. Does the Global have a SIM card slot, would it work as a GSM phone or is it strictly designed to work on CDMA and work on GSM from time to time?
Please for the love of god someone tell me it will work as a normal GSM phone, I want a good android phone :)

JonandRoid

Aug 31, 2010
Durham, NC
Well here in america I know they have the black berrys such as the storm 1 that are gsm and also have verizon "sim cards" in them (yeah, weird I know..) so I want to assume that the phone will be coming with a sim card slot somewhere but honestly I haven't heard much either about the droid 2 we..when I first saw it I had no idea what a "we" droid 2 was lol...neither did google :)...hahah

Sent from my DROID2 using XDA App

FunkyMcBain

Aug 16, 2010
Ottawa
Well here in america I know they have the black berrys such as the storm 1 that are gsm and also have verizon "sim cards" in them (yeah, weird I know..) so I want to assume that the phone will be coming with a sim card slot somewhere but honestly I haven't hear much either about the droid 2 we..when I first saw it I had no idea what a "we" droid 2 was lol...neither did google :)...hahah

Sent from my DROID2 using XDA App

Hahaha thanks man, I'm going to wait till thing gets pushed out finally hopefully someone will tear it apart.
But if anyone else knows anything else please chime in. This could be sweet if it works :)

ArizonaGuy

Nov 10, 2010
Like the global phones of yesteryear (Blackberry devices, a few Windows mobile ones and some feature phones), they come with a VodaFone SIM for use with global roaming. It is SIM-locked (subsidy locked) however and you'll need to unlock it. Verizon routinely does this for regular customers on contract but if you buy the Pro or D2 Global unsubsidized they generally won't and you'll have to unlock it via a third party.

Once it's unlocked: It's tri-band UMTS. I'm not an expert on UMTS frequencies around the globe. I know it'll work in a couple hundred countries outside North America but I have no idea if it'll work at 3G speeds on US or Canadian GSM networks. It'll definitely work for phone calls and 2G data on AT&T, T-Mobile, Rogers, etc since it's quad-band GSM - this is how the global BlackBerry devices work. My old Storm 1 is still in use by someone on AT&T and I intend to sell my current unlocked Storm 2 when I finally break down and pick up one of the new global Droids.

Last edited:

IslesFan

May 18, 2006
Just got a Droid 2 Global. It has a VZW/Vodafone sim in it, no idea if it's SIM Locked(I'm sure it is). Once you get it unlocked, it shouldent be hard to get working with a rogers sim.

xryousukex

May 25, 2010
i'm sure a third party company can unlock it like how the storm 1s were unlocked, just have to wait and see since it was barely released from vzw.

jy3ng4

Mar 4, 2010
I got my D2 Global SIM unlocked yesterday. Called VZW Global Support (1-800-711-8300) and they gave me the code (once you put in a non-VZW SIM, it will automatically ask you for the code.) As long as your line has been active for at least 6 months with no late payments, they will hook you up.

HOWEVER, it appears there may be more to the unlocking process. When I did a GSM network scan, no networks showed up. Others on various forums have been reporting the same issue in the last day or so. Normally when you put in a SIM into an unlocked GSM phone, you will see the roaming network options.

It's possible that they have blocked US GSM networks and foreign networks will work fine, but I'm hoping others can shed some light on the issue.

jy3ng4

Mar 4, 2010
It'll definitely work for phone calls and 2G data on AT&T, T-Mobile, Rogers, etc since it's quad-band GSM

# All–Digital, 800/1900, CDMA EVDO rev A
# Quad Band GSM – 850/900/1800/1900MHz
# Tri–Band UMTS/HSPA – 850 /1900/2100MHz

So according to this, if its unlocked, it should work for Rogers or AT&T 3G

Not quite. If you look at the D2G user guide on the Motorola website, it says on page 12: "DROID2 Global by Motorola switches effortlessly between CDMA, GSM 900, GSM 1800, and UMTS 2100 networks, so you can make calls in over 200 countries worldwide."

So it seems that VZW has restricted use of the 850/1900 MHz GSM/UMTS bands, even though the device has the hardware to support them. Most foreign networks use 900/1800 GSM and 2100 UMTS but AT&T/T-Mobile use 850/1900, which is why no one has had any success with them yet.

Hopefully someone can figure out a workaround.