[Q] TWRP not working with device encryption

Search This thread

Scoopta

Nov 3, 2013
I have a Moto X(4.4) Dev edition running the unofficial TWRP v2.6.3.1. I recently encrypted my device and now TWRP can't make nandroid backups. I know why it doesn't work but my question is this. Is there any way for TWRP to mount my encrypted data partition?

Last edited:

aviwdoowks

Sep 18, 2012
I have a Moto X(4.4) Dev edition running the unofficial TWRP v2.6.3.1. I recently encrypted my device and now TWRP can't make nandroid backups. I know why it doesn't work but my question is this. Is there any way for TWRP to mount my encrypted data partition?

I do not think so. Use Philz it is great.

---------- Post added at 02:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:00 PM ----------

You can step right into it. It recognizes your twrp folder. Use recovery tools to flash the IMG from home.

drago10029

Nov 19, 2008
Phazon Mines

Don't know a way either, your just not supposed to use it when your stuff is encrypted. It's not supported and well, I'm sure you don't like bricks lol

Scoopta

Nov 3, 2013
Don't know a way either, your just not supposed to use it when your stuff is encrypted. It's not supported and well, I'm sure you don't like bricks lol

Does anyone like bricks haha?...anyway thanks for the input I just needed to encrypt my device and was wondering if there was a way to take a backup. I'm going to go try the previous suggestion when I get time but for now I'll have to live without nandroid.

D

Darth

I don't understand why people encrypt...unless their a secret agent of course. ?

Sent from my N5, N7, Moto X, G Tab 3 or S2.....

Scoopta

Nov 3, 2013
I don't understand why people encrypt...unless their a secret agent of course. ?

I encrypted my device to keep people with the ability to breach my data partition with ease out of my device since a screen lock is so easy to bypass especially on a rooted device with a custom recovery.

D

Darth

I encrypted my device to keep people with the ability to breach my data partition with ease out of my device since a screen lock is so easy to bypass especially on a rooted device with a custom recovery.

I firmly believe, to each their own. So not trying to dismiss anyone's reasons.

Just personally.... If someone wants to go to all the trouble to see my data...they can have at it. Lol. Nothing exciting on my phone. ;)

Scoopta

Nov 3, 2013
I firmly believe, to each their own. So not trying to dismiss anyone's reasons.

Just personally.... If someone wants to go to all the trouble to see my data...they can have at it. Lol. Nothing exciting on my phone. ;)

Oh haha...I have private information on my phone that I would like kept that way. Well it's not on my phone but it's on my Google account of which is completely accessible from my phone without logging in.

Last edited:

Scoopta

Nov 3, 2013
I do not think so. Use Philz it is great.

---------- Post added at 02:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:00 PM ----------

You can step right into it. It recognizes your twrp folder. Use recovery tools to flash the IMG from home.
I flashed Philz recovery but I can't figure out how to mount my data partition.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yes I'm aware of why it failed...the point of this thread was to find out if there was a recovery capable of mounting an encrypted data partition. Obviously it would have to ask for the password but that's what I was looking for.

There is no such recovery, sorry for the roundabout answer!