Device always boots into recovery

Search This thread

twofive

Jul 2, 2009
Hey there XDA, I have a strange problem. Maybe you can help me out.

I just got my Moto G today and after unlocking the bootloader, the first thing I did was flash TWRP (fastboot flash recovery TWRP-2.7.0.0-falcon.img).
I did this with the normal fastboot from the Android SDK, not the Motorola version.

Now everytime I start the device, it always boots right into recovery. Always. Doesn't matter if there's TWRP, CWM or Stock installed.
I also flashed the device to GPE afterwards (using the Motorola fastboot) which should've erased everything, but it still does it.

The only way I can get into the actual system is by flashing the normal boot.img as recovery (fastboot flash recovery boot.img).

Can someone please shed some light on this for me? I'd be eternally grateful.

Thanks in advance.
Kenny

Last edited:
Reactions: 0purple and pepedro

3RAN7ON

Nov 12, 2013
Phoenix

I just got my Moto G today and after unlocking the bootloader, the first thing I did was flash TWRP (fastboot flash recovery TWRP-2.7.0.0-falcon.img).
I did this with the normal fastboot from the Android SDK, not the Motorola version.

Now everytime I start the device, it always boots right into recovery. Always. Doesn't matter if there's TWRP, CWM or Stock installed.
I also flashed the device to GPE afterwards (using the Motorola fastboot) which should've erased everything, but it still does it.

The only way I can get into the actual system is by flashing the normal boot.img as recovery (fastboot flash recovery boot.img).

Thanks in advance.
Kenny

on the custom recovery menu screen, when you press REBOOT then REBOOT SYSTEM, does it? Or does it just reboot back into recovery?

J

jikobutsu

Have you tried flashing through fastboot the update for your device ?

Fede37

Sep 17, 2013

Thanks in advance.
Kenny

You could try re flashing the stock firmware. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2542219 Good luck, it will delete everything on the phone.

Sent from my Moto G using XDA Free mobile app

• Sad
Reactions: 0purple

3RAN7ON

Nov 12, 2013
Phoenix
It boots right back into Recovery. It always does that, no matter if I do it from the OS, the bootloader, whatever.

hmmm....something similar happened to me about 2 days ago when I DL the ota, then tried to install it, but it failed. the phone rebooted into the system and a minute later it roobooted itsself back into recovery and tried to install the update again. Of course, the ota's are DL to the /cache folder by default, but once install is attempted, it erases it from that folder, but phone kept rebooting and trying to install, it failed then rebooted again into recovery. It did this like 5x until I was able to stop this by restoring a prev backup. Not sure if this is your situation, but in posting this experience it might help someone

---------- Post added at 09:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 AM ----------

Also, check in your recovery if there is something called 'DISABLE RECOVERY FLASH' and make sure it is checked before rebooting the first time after installing recovery. I maybe mistaking, but I thought it was a bug only found on some earlier CWM builds, not found on TWRP...but recovery flash would make the phone do what you are describing

sprockkets

Jan 16, 2012

Thanks in advance.
Kenny

You shouldn't have that issue, but you might have to try the latest 2.6.x branch of TWRP. I've seen both but never know which one is really better.

Also, why use the GPE edition? The moto stuff in the moto g is better than the google equivalents, especially the camera app and moto assist, but to each his own.

twofive

Jul 2, 2009
Also, why use the GPE edition? The moto stuff in the moto g is better than the google equivalents, especially the camera app and moto assist, but to each his own.

I also own a Nexus 5, Xperia Z Ultra flashed to GPE, and a Nexus 7. I just like having the same Software on all of them.

princehpd

Dec 26, 2015
Booting to recovery (twrp&cmw) when rebooting to system

hey there xda, i have a strange problem. Maybe you can help me out.

I just got my moto g today and after unlocking the bootloader, the first thing i did was flash twrp (fastboot flash recovery twrp-2.7.0.0-falcon.img).
I did this with the normal fastboot from the android sdk, not the motorola version.

Now everytime i start the device, it always boots right into recovery. Always. Doesn't matter if there's twrp, cwm or stock installed.
I also flashed the device to gpe afterwards (using the motorola fastboot) which should've erased everything, but it still does it.

The only way i can get into the actual system is by flashing the normal boot.img as recovery (fastboot flash recovery boot.img).

Thanks in advance.
Kenny

dear all,
pls help me.. I'm facing the same problem when i'm rebooting system from my recovery screen and it's rebooting to recovery . I cannot find any relevant solution for this anywhere. So please help me. I'm using moto g falcon (xt1033)

Last edited:

therealduff1

Dec 10, 2015
Ok I now have this problem also :(

Even flashing stock rom does not fix it.

Does anyone have any suggestions ??

The phone will say boot loader unlocked as usu then black screen then flashes stock recovery no command screen , then the device turns off. I can access boot loader mode !

That's about all I have :/

Any help would be greatly appreciated

FatOldSun_

Jan 5, 2016
I have the same problem, or similar. I installed CM13 but it didn't like me so much and when I wanted to reboot the phone to restore my previous backup I went to "Advanced reboot menu" and then just reboot recovery. And the phone never could boot again to system, I tried flashing 5.1 and various recoveries but nothing happended.

As nobody responses my trhead I was obliged to send my Moto G to an unofficial customer service, I have to go today to take up my phone, it should be ready, I hope.

Good luck, if they told me how they fixed it I'll post here.

Reactions: therealduff1

therealduff1

Dec 10, 2015
Ok I think I may have found the fix. Flash all of the stock files normally , then flash boot.img once more. Then the phone will boot normally but only for one time. Quickly run though setup , then in the setting app factory reset your device. Your device will reboot and reset once more. Then the device will always boot normal :D This actually seems to work. I spent all night yesterday trying to fix my device and I finally found the solution. ! ��

FatOldSun_

Jan 5, 2016
Ok I think I may have found the fix. Flash all of the stock files normally , then flash boot.img once more. Then the phone will boot normally but only for one time. Quickly run though setup , then in the setting app factory reset your device. Your device will reboot and reset once more. Then the device will always boot normal :D This actually seems to work. I spent all night yesterday trying to fix my device and I finally found the solution. ! ��

Man, I did that but it didn't work for me. Now when I reboot from fastboot the device power up directly to fastboot mode and on the log it shows
Fastboot reason: UTAG "bootmode" configured as fastboot
Anyway if I powerup from fastboot mode the phone sucks on the bootloader screen.

sujithshn

Nov 19, 2013
I had the same problem and was searching from this noon. Just now, i downloaded and flashed with Cyanogen Recovery "cm-12.1-20151117-SNAPSHOT-YOG7DAO1K9-falcon-recovery" and my problem is over now. Tried a couple of power off and restarts and now my reboots and power on will not go to recovery any more.

File is available to download at cyanogenmod website

Please make sure about your model before download. I use a Moto G 2013 XT1033 Asia Retail edition with 8GB.

DanHidalgo

Jan 30, 2012
Madrid
I tried installing that recovery but I'm getting the exact same issue...
Any other solution? No one has solved it yet?

cheppiroma

Apr 4, 2013
Jakarta
I got the same problem here.. My Moto G default boot is to recovery. The way i could enter the rom is with Bootloader option "Normal powerup". I already try many ways, reflash custom recovery (TWRP, CWM, CM), reflash stock, and reflash custom rom, but they do nothing to this case. Is there any way to change it back to normal? I'm currently on CM 12.1 Unofficial and running TWRP 2.8.6.0. It is not panic attack, it just anoying. Thanks in advance..

Last edited:

demlak

Mar 5, 2014
same here.. booting always into recovery by default..
tried different twrp versions (incl. 2.8.7), CWM and cyanogen recovery.. and also tried wiping the complete system.. reinstalling stock rom incl. bootloader, recovery, etc..
everytime the same boot into recovery by default

using "fastboot reboot" in bootloader mode also boots into recovery

in bootloadermode i'm able to boot my fresh installed CM12.1 by selecting "Normal Powerup"

maybe something happened with the bootloader configuration? where to edit it?

this also did not help:
mfastboot oem fb_mode_clear
(as i understand.. this just clears the fb_mode_set value.. which directs to bootloader on boot

edit:
# fastboot getvar all
(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 411A
(bootloader) product: falcon
(bootloader) secure: yes
(bootloader) hwrev: 0x83C0
(bootloader) radio: 0x1
(bootloader) emmc: 16GB Toshiba REV=06 PRV=01 TYPE=17
(bootloader) ram: 1024MB Samsung S4 SDRAM DIE=4Gb
(bootloader) cpu: MSM8226 CS
(bootloader) serialno: xxxxxxxxxxxx
(bootloader) cid: 0x0007
(bootloader) channelid: 0x00
(bootloader) uid: 66FFC4020F000000000000000000
(bootloader) unlocked: yes
(bootloader) iswarrantyvoid: yes
(bootloader) mot_sst: 3
(bootloader) max-download-size: 536870912
(bootloader) reason: Reboot mode set to fastboot
(bootloader) imei:
(bootloader) meid:
(bootloader) date:
(bootloader) sku:
(bootloader) iccid:
(bootloader) cust_md5:
(bootloader) max-sparse-size: 268435456
(bootloader) current-time: "Wed Aug 19 2:19:55 UTC 2015"
(bootloader) ro.build.fingerprint[0]: motorola/falcon_retde/falcon_umts:
(bootloader) ro.build.fingerprint[1]: 5.1/LPB23.13-56/56:user/release-ke
(bootloader) ro.build.fingerprint[2]: ys
(bootloader) ro.build.version.full[0]: Blur_Version.221.21.56.falcon_umt
(bootloader) ro.build.version.full[1]: s.Retail.en.DE
(bootloader) ro.build.version.qcom[0]: AU_LINUX_ANDROID_LNX.LA.3.5.1_RB1
(bootloader) ro.build.version.qcom[1]: .04.04.02.048.045
(bootloader) version-baseband:
(bootloader) kernel.version[0]: Linux version 3.4.42-g89906d6 (hudsoncm@
(bootloader) kernel.version[1]: ilclbld34) (gcc version 4.8 (GCC) ) #1 S
(bootloader) kernel.version[2]: MP PREEMPT Mon Aug 17 19:06:25 CDT 2015
(bootloader) sdi.git: git=MBM-NG-V41.1A-0-gdc5aeaf
(bootloader) sbl1.git: git=MBM-NG-V41.1A-0-g199f3c5
(bootloader) rpm.git: git=MBM-NG-V41.1A-0-g8b7736e
(bootloader) tz.git: git=MBM-NG-V41.1A-0-g99c1a7c
(bootloader) aboot.git: git=MBM-NG-V41.1A-0-g80481ae
(bootloader) qe: qe 2/1
(bootloader) ro.carrier: unknown
all: listed above
finished. total time: 0.057s

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    on #cyanogenmod channel on freenode user spudowiar helped me..
    the problem:

partition /misc is fault.. and twrp (for example) does not mount this partition to wipe it correctly..

you can wipe it manualy by dd it..
    adb shell dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/misc
    but do a backup before! (just in case)
    adb pull /dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/misc misc.img
    Fixed Boot Loop on Moto G5 Plus

The /misc partition tip also fixed my Moto G5 Plus always booting to TWRP. I used the "adb shell" command to find the directory, which for me was /dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci/by-name/misc.

Code:
    adb shell dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci/by-name/misc

I'm going to be explicit in how I found the directory. To poke around, I used the "ls" command, which lists the directories and files on the device:
    Code:
    adb shell
    ls /dev/block/platform
    ls /dev/block/platform/soc
    ls /dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci
    ls /dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci/by-name
    exit

I got this output, but it still worked:
    Code:
    dd: writing '/dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci/by-name/misc': No space left on device
    2049+0 records in
    2048+0 records out
    1048576 bytes (1.0MB) copied, 0.095814 seconds, 10.4MB/s

Thanks to demlak, the original poster of the dd command. I never would have found that on my own.
    hey guys, for the athene version of moto g4 , the path is different:

try
    adb shell dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/platform/soc.0/7824900.sdhci/by-name/misc
    works like a charm :good::good:
    [SOLVED] Fix for device booting into recovery instead of system

I know this is late but I just had this same problem and for anyone out there, well here you go

First use TWRP or CWM and install the rom you want to use then once its done boot into Bootloader mode (NOT SYSTEM)

In fastboot from your computer type

fastboot oem fb_mode_clear

Then Do a normal Powerup

FIXED!

Thanks in advance.
    Kenny